• Dive

Votes: 272 92.8%

• Total voters

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Some laughable comments on here, It was a pen. Same situation with one of your players at the AMEX you would have been shouting for a penalty as well and you know it.

The Arsenal chap even said so himself, Get over it.

Another worms its pathetic self out of the woodwork. Hilarious. :laugh:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I wonder how many games he would have survived back in the 1970's?

I remember proper skilled players (Best, Marsh etc.) being kicked into the air and the referees waving play on.

Luckily Mr Tumble is playing in an era when Football is becoming a non-contact sport...

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
You're more than welcome! See you in another three weeks where you might get something against Burnley, yeah?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Did he dive? Of course he did. "THERE WAS CONTACT" seems to be the go to line these days, be it fan or pundit. Football is not a non contact sport, it is perfectly possible to be "contacted" and not fall over. However, it is very difficult for a referee on one view to determine whether the contact is sufficient to cause a loss of balance, or, indeed, was even initiated by the defender. So all the time this is the status quo it would be very hard to argue that Zaha (or Glenn, AK or anyone for that matter) should make the effort to stay on their feet (except maybe just the odd time so refs subconsciously mark them down as "honest.") It's just utterly bewildering that Palace seem to see Zaha as somehow different to his peers to the extent that even the chairman sees the need to make public statements about it! They (almost) all dive, just some are savvy enough not to do it when there hasn't been any contact at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fact of the matter is, Zaha is on his way down before he's even been touched. Of course there's then contact - Zaha made sure of it with that contrived little leap just before he met Xhaka's outstretched thigh. It was naive and clumsy from Xhaka, but Zaha is a master of making the absolute most of situations like that to win his team another pen. Its clever play, but he'll have to live with the fact that refs aren't always going to buy it (then we all get treated to his swivel-eyed open-mouthed incredulous expression again). :rolleyes:

This notion that if there's ANY contact then its a foul is utter bobbins. Drives me mad when pundits say "he was entitled to go down there". No, you're never "entitled" to go down, you either lose balance and fall as a result of a challenge, or you stay on your feet. Its this absurd mindset of entitlement that actively encourages the likes of Zaha to fling himself to the turf at the first hint of being touched.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think you can easily make the argument that this was a penalty. I think it would probably be better though if you couldn't easily make that argument.

There should be something that says that it's only a foul if there is sufficient contact, and a foul shouldn't be given just because of some minor contact that results in a player choosing to fall over as a result.

Edit: Players should be encouraged to stay up, not fall over.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have said this before and will say it again.

We need VAR and we need it now. . . . .

. . . .with self-regarding nobber referees trained how to use it - either the man in the VAR HQ tells the ref to look at the replay or the ref initiates the replay check. The ref should not have a long protracted chat with the VAR guy - the ref makes the decision, and the only advice he needs is 'please look at this'. Simple. As happened when the Murray goal was allowed.

Of course VAR could be changed so that the VAR man is like a lino - calling the ref and telling the ref what happened, but I can understand refs resisting this. However my guess is that in a few years this is exactly what will happen - a voice in the ref's ear says 'that cheating **** haha dived there, ref, book the *******'. :lolol:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
The fact of the matter is, Zaha is on his way down before he's even been touched. Of course there's then contact - Zaha made sure of it with that contrived little leap just before he met Xhaka's outstretched thigh. It was naive and clumsy from Xhaka, but Zaha is a master of making the absolute most of situations like that to win his team another pen. Its clever play, but he'll have to live with the fact that refs aren't always going to buy it (then we all get treated to his swivel-eyed open-mouthed incredulous expression again). :rolleyes:

This notion that if there's ANY contact then its a foul is utter bobbins. Drives me mad when pundits say "he was entitled to go down there". No, you're never "entitled" to go down, you either lose balance and fall as a result of a challenge, or you stay on your feet. Its this absurd mindset of entitlement that actively encourages the likes of Zaha to fling himself to the turf at the first hint of being touched.

Wilf learnt a lot from Glenn about drawing fouls and making the most of contacts .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wilf learnt a lot from Glenn about drawing fouls and making the most of contacts .

Glenn's not entirely above the dark arts either, he knows how to draw a foul for sure. But Zaha is by far and away the most prolific exponent in the league, its quite literally the first thing he's looking for when he gets into the box. I'm certainly not buying this old guff from Roy about Zaha's sheer speed making him more susceptible to losing balance when he's touched.

Unfortunately for Zaha its been more than noticed, and not just by BHA. You don't get the reputation he has now just by accident. He's cried wolf a few times too many, and people are tired of it.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015

100% spot on. I think most of the Palace fans understand this but are trying to protect him. He cheats all the time and moans when players kick him. I wonder how Norman Hunter or Stuart Pearce would have dealt with him. Even Pardew admitted that he dives as he was taught to go down if touched and half the changing hated him for him doing it and the other loved it. Is it cheating? Yes says most of the football world, no
Say Palace fans. Think that says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Yeah but...... when Glenn does it it always looks a free kick, on the other hand when haha tumbles it looks deliberate, he's just an amateur, you really should have hung on to the top English scorer in the prem until haha had fully mastered Glenn's art. How do yer like those apples Doug?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He should report that to the police, there's no justification for it. Unfortunately by publically responding though, he just gives further oxygen to this kind of vermin.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here