Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting. chat in the bar

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The 'negative Hughton' argument pedaled by Norwich fans is nonsense. Chris's approach can seem over cautious, but it is not negative, it is realistic and pragmatic. He wants his teams to play football, but firstly he wants them to work hard. He knows that this is essential if we are to overcome odds that are usually against us. This was his post match comment on the BBC website yesterday:

"I am delighted, we had to really earn it against a very good side. They threatened a lot and we had to defend really well. It was hard-earned.

"We are not playing at our best, nowhere near. We have players who are not at their level, we are not good on the ball but we are defending really well."

He knows we are not at our best and wants to improve ball retention and creativity, but he also knows that, if this is not clicking you better defend well. Ferguson was lauded for years for United winning games in which they hadn't played well.

We have just won three games in a row in the top division for the first time in 37 years and yet the team that has achieved this has room for improvement and we have a manager who is completely aware of this and some idiots are chanting criticism at him.

I imagine that if some of our fans were lost and stranded in the wilds of Scotland and Hughton were to drive up, find them and give them a lift back to Brighton they would moan that it was in a Volvo not a Jag.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It is strange when a football fan has an intense dislike for another seemingly random club without justified reason or explanation. Of course there are the conventional reasons for fans despising other clubs - historical rivalry (us and Palace, Arsenal and Spurs, etc.), religious grounds (sort of) with Rangers and Celtic. Or, for more personal reasons, where someone has had a horrible experience at the hands of the opposition club/fans which have had a lasting impact.

But to be unable to account for their animosity is just plain weird.

P.S. Did he buy the drinks? :D

He’s a Uni friend of my daughter and her boyfriend. A season ticket holder at CarrowRoad, he stayed at our house that weekend, and after telling me all Saturday morning, how they were going to batter us, he was very quiet on Sunday, and left quite early, he didn’t even stay for lunch.

Yes, he did get the beers in, but, he wouldn’t watch the highlights.:D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really? Playing fantastic football now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four defeats already this season, fourth in the Championship, lower than we ever were in the promotion season IIRC. Goal difference +3. When he left they were safe in the Premier League.

Everyone expected them to bounce straight back and be a real problem side in the season we went up but at times they were a shambles due to a really poor choice of manager. I'd prefer to be us than them a million times over. IF they go up this season - and both Boro and Sheffield Utd look bettter - they'll be odds on to go straight back down,

"Fantastic football"? It's not a ballet or a basketball match. Results are all that count. Look at Poyet - his "fantastic football" never achieved what Hughton did.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know a Norwich fan who absolutely hates us, and Chris. I think it goes a bit beyond jealousy, he dislikes us more than he dislikes Ipswich.
Strange really, when I asked him why, he would just say, shit club, shit manager. It was funny having a pint with him in the away end after we tonked them 5-0 though.

Before directing his hatred at Chris and Brighton he should look inwardly at his own club

They have a Boardroom with the average age of Dignitas Clients.

Delia Smith bought into the club for a fraction of what it was worth. Every penny she put in she has taken out tenfold in salary. The £1m she loaned the club when it was skint, she took back 2 or 3 years ago. She opened her big restaurant in the confines of Carrow Road and I bet she pays minimal rents on it and makes a fortune from it.

She and her husband used their foray into the PL to milk the club. It certainly didn't go into investment in the club. They were the lowest spenders every year they were in the League.

And as for their ''Iconic Paul Lambert'' - He walked out on them. The Bucks that Villa threw at him he was down so fast to pick it up it hit him on the back of the head. And look at it now. He has just taken a job of their nearest rivals at Ipswich.

So if the Norwich fans want people to hate, they have plenty of other options than Chris Hughton and Brighton

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Before directing his hatred at Chris and Brighton he should look inwardly at his own club

They have a Boardroom with the average age of Dignitas Clients.

Delia Smith bought into the club for a fraction of what it was worth. Every penny she put in she has taken out tenfold in salary. The £1m she loaned the club when it was skint, she took back 2 or 3 years ago. She opened her big restaurant in the confines of Carrow Road and I bet she pays minimal rents on it and makes a fortune from it.

She and her husband used their foray into the PL to milk the club. It certainly didn't go into investment in the club. They were the lowest spenders every year they were in the League.

And as for their ''Iconic Paul Lambert'' - He walked out on them. The Bucks that Villa threw at him he was down so fast to pick it up it hit him on the back of the head. And look at it now. He has just taken a job of their nearest rivals at Ipswich.

So if the Norwich fans want people to hate, they have plenty of other options than Chris Hughton and Brighton

Oh, I totally agree, I can’t understand his dislike, and Delia appears to have been underinvesting for years.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I didn't think we were necessarily negative yesterday but instead disjointed due to a lack of quality.

Our poor ball retention and slow tempo meant that we struggled to get a foothold in the game. This was not negative tactics by CH.

Chris himself, acknowledged that we are not at our best ATM (he stopped short of saying the new guys are still learning the league) but understands when we are struggling, we will need to defend and fortunately, unlike Fulham and Huddersfield, we do it rather well.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Amazing negativity from some deluded idiots in our fanbase who think entertaining football is more important than results. Pricks.

They have obviously also failed to notice we are missing both of our attacking central midfield players which may well be the reason we've not been as offensive in the last few weeks...

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Amazing negativity from some deluded idiots in our fanbase who think entertaining football is more important than results. Pricks.

Wow.I get people watch football for different reasons, for some it is about winning. If that's what you like, hope you enjoy these wins, as a smaller team that will be in the relegation fight for the foreseeable future, you're not likely to see a lot of them. But there are huge swathes of fans for whom entertainment is a major aspect of why they like football. In a modern age when the price of football, not just the ticket but also everything around it, wanting to be entertained by a sporting event, especially one you've spent a lot of money on, is not the delusion of idiots.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't think we were necessarily negative yesterday but instead disjointed due to a lack of quality.

Our poor ball retention and slow tempo meant that we struggled to get a foothold in the game. This was not negative tactics by CH.

Chris himself, acknowledged that we are not at our best ATM (he stopped short of saying the new guys are still learning the league) but understands when we are struggling, we will need to defend and fortunately, unlike Fulham and Huddersfield, we do it rather well.

All of the above, plus we were against a very decent side accomplished at moving the ball about quickly, to pull their opponent out of shape.

I felt we missed Knockaert playing in front of Bruno, as much for his workrate assisting when we're being pressed, as much as anything else.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

They have obviously also failed to notice we are missing both of our attacking central midfield players which may well be the reason we've not been as offensive in the last few weeks...

This.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Can’t deny it wasn’t the most entertaining game I’ve ever watched but it’s a result driven business and like it or not it’s working for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were we negative when we beat Man Utd? No It's obvious from his comments that CH knows we are not playing as well as we can. He will be pleased with the results - three wins in a row - but not pleased with how we played except for the way we defended. He's said as much.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I know a Norwich fan who absolutely hates us, and Chris. I think it goes a bit beyond jealousy, he dislikes us more than he dislikes Ipswich.
Strange really, when I asked him why, he would just say, shit club, shit manager. It was funny having a pint with him in the away end after we tonked them 5-0 though.

My dislike of Norwich goes back to when they were sniffing around our squad rather than developing their own youngsters.

Now I just think they’re a dull provincial team going nowhere.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

On a happy weekend for the Albion, with form of WWW, some gloomy fans digging for negatives. Bizarre.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The 'negative Hughton' argument pedaled by Norwich fans is nonsense. Chris's approach can seem over cautious, but it is not negative, it is realistic and pragmatic. He wants his teams to play football, but firstly he wants them to work hard. He knows that this is essential if we are to overcome odds that are usually against us. This was his post match comment on the BBC website yesterday:

"I am delighted, we had to really earn it against a very good side. They threatened a lot and we had to defend really well. It was hard-earned.

"We are not playing at our best, nowhere near. We have players who are not at their level, we are not good on the ball but we are defending really well."

He knows we are not at our best and wants to improve ball retention and creativity, but he also knows that, if this is not clicking you better defend well. Ferguson was lauded for years for United winning games in which they hadn't played well.

We have just won three games in a row in the top division for the first time in 37 years and yet the team that has achieved this has room for improvement and we have a manager who is completely aware of this and some idiots are chanting criticism at him.

I imagine that if some of our fans were lost and stranded in the wilds of Scotland and Hughton were to drive up, find them and give them a lift back to Brighton they would moan that it was in a Volvo not a Jag.

Totally agree, and Liverpool under Bill Shankly and others were well capable of winning when playing badly. I'm not comparing us to Liverpool in the 1960s and '70s, but they could play much better football as well, and so can we.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally agree, and Liverpool under Bill Shankly and others were well capable of winning when playing badly. I'm not comparing us to Liverpool in the 1960s and '70s, but they could play much better football as well, and so can we.

Some of Fergie’s teams were outplayed in games, Schmeichal making world class ssves, then they nicked 1-0 wins.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I like Norwich and they are playing fit as **** football at the moment (see last week's Rhodes goal for a sexy example). They were very boring under Hughton.

It's A LOT easier to play that way in the champo.

Bizarre thing to be whinging about IMO.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here