Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting. chat in the bar

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mmmmmmm.....nah. Sorry.

Something else very important to remember is that CH is not happy with our performances. Its not as if he is basking in the satisfaction of a team absolutely fulfilling all his requirements.

This whole thread makes me think of this: Imagine you were living a nice comfortable life, but that your car was a bit meh, and you house a bit old. Rather than save up a bit and make do for a while....you could invest half your salary on a punt at the bookies....what could possibly go wrong???

Leeds, Villa, Norwich, Portsmouth, Massive, all blinked first and took that punt (on overspending on toptop players and/or sacking the steady manager for an 'exciting' model). And screwed their clubs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Having read some of the comments on here I'm staggered, we're 11th in the Premier League and have a great Chairman, Board and Manager. Given the reality of football finances who would you swap any of these with?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Manager of the season over these 10 matches has to be Eddie Howe, but his side has a bit more Prem experience than us and he's kept the same core together with Brooks being that X Factor.

Bournemouth have been fortunate with their fixtures , only playing one of the top 6 , this has enabled them to gain confidence and momentum by beating the bottom half of the table , and to get a lot of points early in the season

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But Hudd and Fulham play such wonderful football.
This is such an over-worked comparison. I'm sure that the majority of Albion fans are not looking for us to play like Fulham and Huddersfield. Like him or loathe him, Eddie Howe seems to have found a good balance-most of the time. Personally, I'd be happy with his type of approach at The Albion. All we need is one or two of our summer signings to start making an impact and we can start hanging on to the ball a bit more. Then perhaps we will see a more consistent attacking style of play without compromising a solid defence.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I played for years, and the one game that still really stands out in my memory, and that I felt the best about afterwards was against an attacking team where we defended for 40 minutes, scored a rather fortunate goal, and then defended for our lives for the whole of the second half. I was on the right wing, and I think I only touched the ball in their half a couple of times - nothing to do with me/us not wanting to get forward, just never had the chance. Most thrilling and satisfying game I've ever taken part in.

The last 15 mins on Saturday was brilliant - wave after wave of Wolves attacking, 2 breakaways where we should have scored, Ryan making a couple of blindingly good saves, crowd noisy, stress levels through the roof culminating in a huge roar on the final whistle. Loved it (eventually), went home exhausted.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
The only negative I'd take from the last the few matches is proof that we should have got another no10 in the summer to challenge Pascal. He is our only recognized no10, not having any proper cover there is having an effect on our attacking prowess.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The only thing I’d like Chris to change is ensuring we have better ball retention, especially when we are winning. So frustrating that we seem to give the ball away so cheaply and allow teams to attack us. Apart from that, I have no issues with CH’s style of play at all.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Was chatting in the bar with some very complimentary guys about the Albion and our impact on the premier lastnight.

We were joined by a Norwich dan who had been following our results and the write ups in the press.

He said. Are you all getting pissed off with hughtons style of footy yet?

He was saying that although they were initially getting the results, the style of football was turning so many people off that they ended up calling for his head as it was so boring , negative and defensive.

I said we hadn’t gone that far although it was frustrating that once we score we hit defence mode and seem to spend the rest of the game hanging on!!!

It is a difficult balance to strike being entertaining and getting results

Dan.gif

Was it this Norwich Dan?

N.B. Apologies if this has already been done...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The only thing I’d like Chris to change is ensuring we have better ball retention, especially when we are winning. So frustrating that we seem to give the ball away so cheaply and allow teams to attack us. Apart from that, I have no issues with CH’s style of play at all.

Not much CH can do about that though is there. That is purely the ability of players

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Before directing his hatred at Chris and Brighton he should look inwardly at his own club

They have a Boardroom with the average age of Dignitas Clients.

Not a very good analogy, Dignitas is not for old people only.

Delia Smith bought into the club for a fraction of what it was worth. Every penny she put in she has taken out tenfold in salary. The £1m she loaned the club when it was skint, she took back 2 or 3 years ago. She opened her big restaurant in the confines of Carrow Road and I bet she pays minimal rents on it and makes a fortune from it.

You have me intrigued. What is/was Delia's salary, is she still raking it in. Can you clarify what rent is being paid for the restaurant and where the profits go to ? This is interesting stuff and demands more information.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Norwich fans disliking of Hughton reminds me of Ipswich fans and their disdain for Mick McCarthy - I wouldn't say they are unreasonable viewpoints if ALL you care about is being entertained by attacking football, but they simply don't recognise what those managers had to work with. When Hughton arrived, we saw some of the most sterile entertainment-free football we've ever seen at the Amex. But his job was to keep us up, and he did that. After that, he rebuilt and we immediately finished in the top 3 twice, something none of our other managers could do - including decent managers like Poyet and Oscar Garcia as well as the clueless Hyypia. Since promotion, he's rebuilt again, kept us up and looking like doing so again.

My take on it is that the recruitment quartet do their jobs as best possible, and Hughton is tactically pragmatic based on that season's squad. One day we'll accidentally sign two or three world class front men (like Leicester did in 2015/6) and when we do Hughton will line up his side to attack more than he does now. Until then, he plays with the team's limitations in mind and we win enough and rarely get spanked.

My take on his time at Norwich was that he kept them up comfortably, then signed Van Wolfswinkel who turned out to be shite - but shit signings are a fact of life in football, you win some you lose some. Consequently, he just got around that by building a cautious side and they were still comfortable enough in the league until fan power forced him out. Norwich fans didn't want cautious football you see. Anyway they binned him off for a less able manager (what is Neil Adams doing these days?) and then they got relegated. Had they stuck with Hughton, I reckon he'd have either binned off Van Wolfswinkel or reinforced them with competition, and they'd have regrouped and had another decent season in the Premier League, although I'm only basing this opinion on what he's done pretty much everywhere else.

The fact that Sir Chris has done such a fantastic job and is universally considered a hero in these parts is what is really eating up Norwich fans, who within minutes of his appointment took to Twitter to tell everyone how we'd soon be sick of him. We're not.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Norwich fans disliking of Hughton reminds me of Ipswich fans and their disdain for Mick McCarthy - I wouldn't say they are unreasonable viewpoints if ALL you care about is being entertained by attacking football, but they simply don't recognise what those managers had to work with. When Hughton arrived, we saw some of the most sterile entertainment-free football we've ever seen at the Amex. But his job was to keep us up, and he did that. After that, he rebuilt and we immediately finished in the top 3 twice, something none of our other managers could do - including decent managers like Poyet and Oscar Garcia as well as the clueless Hyypia. Since promotion, he's rebuilt again, kept us up and looking like doing so again. My take on it is that the recruitment quartet do their jobs as best possible, and Hughton is tactically pragmatic based on that season's squad. One day we'll accidentally sign two or three world class front men (like Leicester did in 2015/6) and when we do Hughton will line up his side to attack more than he does now. Until then, he plays with the team's limitations in mind and we win enough and rarely get spanked.

My take on his time at Norwich was that he kept them up comfortably, then signed Van Wolfswinkel who turned out to be shite - but shit signings are a fact of life in football, you win some you lose some. Consequently, he just got around that by building a cautious side and they were still comfortable enough in the league until fan power forced him out. Norwich fans didn't want cautious football you see. Anyway they binned him off for a less able manager (what is Neil Adams doing these days?) and then they got relegated. Had they stuck with Hughton, I reckon he'd have either binned off Van Wolfswinkel or reinforced them with competition, and they'd have regrouped and had another decent season in the Premier League, although I'm only basing this opinion on what he's done pretty much everywhere else.

The fact that Sir Chris has done such a fantastic job and is universally considered a hero in these parts is what is really eating up Norwich fans, who within minutes of his appointment took to Twitter to tell everyone how we'd soon be sick of him. We're not.

What a mighty fine post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Norwich fans disliking of Hughton reminds me of Ipswich fans and their disdain for Mick McCarthy - I wouldn't say they are unreasonable viewpoints if ALL you care about is being entertained by attacking football, but they simply don't recognise what those managers had to work with. When Hughton arrived, we saw some of the most sterile entertainment-free football we've ever seen at the Amex. But his job was to keep us up, and he did that. After that, he rebuilt and we immediately finished in the top 3 twice, something none of our other managers could do - including decent managers like Poyet and Oscar Garcia as well as the clueless Hyypia. Since promotion, he's rebuilt again, kept us up and looking like doing so again. My take on it is that the recruitment quartet do their jobs as best possible, and Hughton is tactically pragmatic based on that season's squad. One day we'll accidentally sign two or three world class front men (like Leicester did in 2015/6) and when we do Hughton will line up his side to attack more than he does now. Until then, he plays with the team's limitations in mind and we win enough and rarely get spanked.

Spot on...

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill

Very well put.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Said it on another thread. A small group in the North stand were getting really angry yesterday. Berating the negativity, lack of substitutions etc. Two chants they tried to start, but amazingly didn't catch on, were 'Chrissy Hughton, we're supposed to be at home' and 'Chrissy Hughton is a tosser’. We were of course 1-0 up at the time.
Please tell me this is a joke?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
If the 2 breakaways late on went in, would we be having this negativity? Yes we won by 1-0 from our only on target shot, but we could have lost by 2 or 3 or possibly won by 2 or 3. Football is a game of very small margins and thankfully we were on the right side of them. Onwards and upwards.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
The pragmatic amongst us are fully aware that we just dont have the ammo (yet) to go toe to toe for 90 odd minutes against 7 teams in the Premier League, CH is shrewd enough to know that to do so would be reckless,
Yes we could have gone gung-ho against one of them on saturday and i know it could be called being wise after the fact, but had we done so against wolves yes it may have been a more entertaining game but its all about points in only our second season in the strongest league in the world and I for one left the ground on saturday with that warm feeling of having another 3 points in the bag after a great defensive display

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The last 15 mins on Saturday was brilliant - wave after wave of Wolves attacking, 2 breakaways where we should have scored, Ryan making a couple of blindingly good saves, crowd noisy, stress levels through the roof culminating in a huge roar on the final whistle. Loved it (eventually), went home exhausted.

This

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here