Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Scam Calls

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
My wife and I both had a 0116 number call on our mobiles last week. Seemed odd that they should call both phones within a matter of minutes . Tried ringing back but said number was not available . I just keep blocking them .

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
When in the mood I string them along. If they ask me to open windows, I respond with; "I'd rather not, it's quite cold today". Usually that's when they hang up. I also kept an ACME Thunderer whistle by the phone if they became annoying or abusive. When not in the mood or I don't have time, a firm eff off sufices.

There's a YouTube clip where a guy strings them along for about an hour. After the first call finishes, the scammer calls him back and abuses him!

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Chucked away my landline handset 3 years ago .. only get the very occasional one on mobile

[]

Haven’t used a landline for years and not had one to the mobile

Get loads on my mobile, every 2 days or so, rarely get any on the landline. Have to keep the landline as no mobile reception where we live. I just tell them not interested or hang up.

When I have had a genuine call from the bank it has been straight forward to corroborate it, they’ve asked me to call back on the number on my bank card and speak to whichever department (fraud) who then advised me that I’d been subject of an attempt, but it had been intercepted and avoided.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When in the mood I string them along. If they ask me to open windows, I respond with; "I'd rather not, it's quite cold today". Usually that's when they hang up. I also kept an ACME Thunderer whistle by the phone if they became annoying or abusive. When not in the mood or I don't have time, a firm eff off sufices.

There's a YouTube clip where a guy strings them along for about an hour. After the first call finishes, the scammer calls him back and abuses him!

I do the stringing along bit when I'm in the mood.......

'our records show you've been in an accident'

'which accident are you talking about ?'

'Ah so you have had an accident'

'have I ? YOU said you had details..........'

etc etc

PPI calls are even better........good fun to press them on exactly what info they have (they never have anything other than a name and phone number), then tell them I work in regulatory compliance.

Failing that, 'could you hang on just a second, there's someone at the door...........', then just leave them hanging.

The whistle is a good idea :D

If the call is on my mobile, I'll block the number afterwards - plenty of free callblocker apps you can use.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Have to keep the landline as no mobile reception where we live

Similarly, we had no reception at home but 3 do a thing called 'Home Signal' which plugs into the router and provides a perfect signal all over house. It is not Wi Fi calling and I assume all service providers do something similar. Might be worth checking with yours

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Similarly, we had no reception at home but 3 do a thing called 'Home Signal' which plugs into the router and provides a perfect signal all over house. It is not Wi Fi calling and I assume all service providers do something similar. Might be worth checking with yours

Vodafone do the suresignal but their sim only deals aren’t really what I need, didn’t know 3 did a Home Signal, is that new? They didn’t do anything when I asked about six months ago.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just looked into it, they have stopped doing it. Their approach now is to tell you to use WiFi calling through the WiFi, but it just does not work, I’ve tried it and it’s rubbish.

Ah OK ... that's why I said it wasn't Wi Fi calling as I agree it's pants ... they've obviously gone for the cheap solution then :(

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I receive around two scam calls a week on my mobile.
I never answer numbers I don't recognise - just google them later.
i have one that keeps ringing and leaving a voicemail about energy.
This costs me money to listen to so I can then delete it ffsake!
I save them as 'Bollocks' on my contacts list so I can ignore them when they ring.
I recently deleted all of them - sixty seven!

What a load of old 'Bollocks':moo:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just had an international call on our landline, an awful line:

Caller (in heavy foreign ancient): “Good morning, our system is showing there’s a problem with your internet”.

Me “Please can I have your bank details, so that I can transfer money to you?”

Caller “You’re mad you are”.

Me “You’re a low life ****”.

Strangely, they hung up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here