Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scam Calls

Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

Scam Calls

0 Not allowed!
    Quite used to them as we all are, but on Friday the criminals took it to another level

Had a call from "not BT" regarding with how my IP address "had gone public". When I questioned their "morals", they replied hoping I "die a horrible death".

Water off a ducks back for me, but Christ how does this affect the elderly ?

I think I've posted on here before how I used to keep them going as a tactic. Waste their time and they don't ring back.

However last time I tried that I received a few minutes later claiming to to be from the "UK Police Agency" claiming I'd been reported for a crime.

Blimey, they've got nasty.
    Last edited by clapham_gull; 27-10-2018 at 23:47.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Just pretend you've got tourettes, that'll sort them, won't get a word in at all!!

On a serious side, I never answer any calls, that are not on our contact list.

0 Not allowed!
      Had that BT call a few months ago, the last of a series of them. Once I was certain it was crooks, I launched into a monologue of abuse, not giving the wnkr a second to respond. I genuinely never do stuff like that, it was theraputic in a way.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Give them a false account number etc when they ask for the three digits on back of card, say 8 9 10 or 12 14 17. You'll get some choice words fired back at you but my god you'll feel better for it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
      North Stand Brighton Boy catfish's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I hung up on a scammer the other day and he phoned me back and told me to go to hell - so I told him to eff himself.
      See you in the morning down by the jetty.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Parsons View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Give them a false account number etc when they ask for the three digits on back of card, say 8 9 10 or 12 14 17. You'll get some choice words fired back at you but my god you'll feel better for it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
      I was interviewed on the radio about it a few years ago, my usual tactic is to keep them talking which tends to work - they don't like time wasters.

This however was something quite different. I changed my opinion of thinking that the callers were usually just caught up in a scam but after Friday I've realised they are simply criminals with all the rest.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      Just pretend you've got tourettes, that'll sort them, won't get a word in at all!!

On a serious side, I never answer any calls, that are not on our contact list.
      Absolutely this. If it's genuine, they will leave a message. I also Google the number in case they call again, but they seem to make up new numbers every time now.
      Was that the intro? I should have been in!

1 Not allowed!
      We got a call on Friday, My wife answered. "Guy wants to talk about our computer problems?

Me: "Oh yes, this isn't the usual 300 accidents I have had in the last 2 weeks that weren't my fault, I will take this one"

Indian guy. Very poor English. Started shouting "What do you see on your screen?"

After a while, I got bored so I said "Look pal, I am an IT professional, I am a Unix Systems administrator, which Operating System are you concerned with?"

He replied "I have never heard of a Unix, what is an operating system? and promptly put the phone down on me

Which was a shame, I was only warming up.
      "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
      We got a call on Friday, My wife answered. "Guy wants to talk about our computer problems?

Me: "Oh yes, this isn't the usual 300 accidents I have had in the last 2 weeks that weren't my fault, I will take this one"

Indian guy. Very poor English. Started shouting "What do you see on your screen?"

After a while, I got bored so I said "Look pal, I am an IT professional, I am a Unix Systems administrator, which Operating System are you concerned with?"

He replied "I have never heard of a Unix, what is an operating system? and promptly put the phone down on me

Which was a shame, I was only warming up.
      Sorry that was me. Apologies for any confusion caused.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post
      Sorry that was me. Apologies for any confusion caused.
      You were missed today.

We still won.
      "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016