Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Because, I may be wrong but some people don't see Solly as an exciting player and fans like that with Knocky what he can bring.

I like what Knocky can bring. I'm a fan of both. I'm just questioning this logic, which seems to be pretty prevalent amongst a fair number of our fans, that March has no final ball despite the fact that he creates more chances per game than anyone in our squad bar Gross. I mean we don't exactly score a ton of goals - to take out our second biggest form of creativity this year seems a tad nonsensical.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Love Knocky, one of the few players we have that gets me out of my seat. And I fancy that with the same number of minutes on the pitch as Solly, he’d create at least as many assistants/chances.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I would start him and Andone v Man U. But then I'd have started them both v Liverpool too. AK often seems to raise his game against the biggest teams.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Love Knocky, one of the few players we have that gets me out of my seat. And I fancy that with the same number of minutes on the pitch as Solly, he’d create at least as many assistants/chances.

People seem to struggle with this chances created per game stat. It's based on the amount of chances you've created divided by the amount of minutes you've been on the pitch. It's not an accumulation over a season. Solly creates more chances than Knockaert this season. There's nothing to argue about this. You might fancy it, but it simply isn't happening. What you're really saying is you prefer watching Knockaert, which is fair. But he isn't creating more chances per game and based on their respective form this season so far, it's unlikely that that would change.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I like what Knocky can bring. I'm a fan of both. I'm just questioning this logic, which seems to be pretty prevalent amongst a fair number of our fans, that March has no final ball despite the fact that he creates more chances per game than anyone in our squad bar Gross. I mean we don't exactly score a ton of goals - to take out our second biggest form of creativity this year seems a tad nonsensical.

On Saturday he did bring onto the pitch an air of excitement and the hope that he could do something to unlock the Liverpool defence. However, one of the first things he did was collect the ball on the right and begin a mazy run right across the field, then losing the ball close to the left hand touchline. Typical Knockaert in a way. So much potential and you really want him to do stuff … but then he screws up.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Wouldn't mind seeing the stats when Knockaert starts with Bruno in the team , they seem to have a excellent understanding and Knockaert plays so much better (i think) , obviously this formation will be something of a rarity now but i do think he is a far better player with Bruno in the team .

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Agree about March no finish or final ball so frustrating always makes the wrong choice of pass when attacking the opposition box.

Interesting how people see things differently. For me, March has a better final ball than Knocky - who is faster, but unnecessarily tries to beat his man too many times before putting in a poor cross. Based on the current form over the last few games, March and Locadia for me, with Knocky as an impact sub. Be interesting when Jose is back as well, great competition for places in the starting lineup. Good times :)

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
People seem to struggle with this chances created per game stat. It's based on the amount of chances you've created divided by the amount of minutes you've been on the pitch. It's not an accumulation over a season. Solly creates more chances than Knockaert this season. There's nothing to argue about this. You might fancy it, but it simply isn't happening. What you're really saying is you prefer watching Knockaert, which is fair. But he isn't creating more chances per game and based on their respective form this season so far, it's unlikely that that would change.

You’re right I don’t get it. All I know is that from 12 starts Knocky has 4 assists, whereas from 21 starts March has just one more. By my logic, with 21 starts in all probability Knocky gets more than 5 assists? And I don’t consider lobbing a ball into an empty box without looking up, as ‘creating a chance’. Stats eh?!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
You’re right I don’t get it. All I know is that from 12 starts Knocky has 4 assists, whereas from 21 starts March has just one more. By my logic, with 21 starts in all probability Knocky gets more than 5 assists? And I don’t consider lobbing a ball into an empty box without looking up, as ‘creating a chance’. Stats eh?!

March has made 5 assists in 1,712 PL minutes this season = 342 mins/assist (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/solly-march/profil/spieler/209212)

Knocky has made 4 assists in 1,111 PL minutes this season = 278 mins/assist (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-knockaert/profil/spieler/149237)

They've one PL goal each this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People seem to struggle with this chances created per game stat. It's based on the amount of chances you've created divided by the amount of minutes you've been on the pitch. It's not an accumulation over a season. Solly creates more chances than Knockaert this season. There's nothing to argue about this. You might fancy it, but it simply isn't happening.
???

March has made 5 assists in 1,712 PL minutes this season = 342 mins/assist (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/solly-march/profil/spieler/209212)

Knocky has made 4 assists in 1,111 PL minutes this season = 278 mins/assist (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-knockaert/profil/spieler/149237)

They've one PL goal each this season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

I'm sure Mr Hughton takes more in to account than the number of assists per minute when choosing his team... like
- The opposition and who an individual will be up against, their weaknesses etc..
- The ability and willingness to track back and defend.
- How good a playing relationship one winger might have with a particular full-back
- Whether there's an "r" in the month.
- etc etc.

Edit - this post doesn't particularly relate to Triggaaar's emoji, it is more about what the emoji was reacting to......

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Does cutting it back to a player who's 30 yards out who then hoofs it miles over the bar count as well? We need some clarification on what a created chance is.

Although assists can be a bit dodgy too.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The player in our team with most assists and who's second in terms of creating chances per game?

You want that player out of the team?

In fairness no player is invulnerable to a dip in form and that is what Solly has going on right now. Bong had a dip and lost his place to Bernardo, Knocky had a dip and lost it to Solly/Loco, Muzza/Andone, Bruno/Montoya etc. I think Solly should sit out a couple of games and AK come back in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not just about chances created.......depends on the game , opposition, tactics etc. Solly was bloody fantastic in defence against Mane and Robertson last week - probably following Hughton’s instructions to the letter.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Have you got a link to the stats?

whoscored.com

Assists are great but they rely solely on someone actually finishing the chance you create... key passes are the amount of actual chances you provide your strikers with across a 90 minute period. March creates more than Knockaert per 90 minutes but less than Gross. He has consistently despite playing more games which suggests he's actually more consistent at creating chances. And honestly, that wouldn't surprise me based on this season's form.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Maybe, if the strikers take the chances Knockaert provides them with. Statistically though, he's going to provide less chances than March per game still.

And you're right, lobbing a ball into an empty box isn't creating a chance. The stats are based on passes or crosses that lead to a shot. March creates more of these than Knockaert per game...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
In fairness no player is invulnerable to a dip in form and that is what Solly has going on right now. Bong had a dip and lost his place to Bernardo, Knocky had a dip and lost it to Solly/Loco, Muzza/Andone, Bruno/Montoya etc. I think Solly should sit out a couple of games and AK come back in.

I'm yet to see this dip... I don't consider a disciplined defensive display against Liverpool to be a dip. Yes, he wasn't great going forward, but many of our players weren't and we weren't set up to attack... take that game out and he's been one of our best players for quite some time now whether people choose to believe it or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here