Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Horrible Performance Coupled With Heroic Defending...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I can think of one team that would be desperate for a horrible performance, heroic defending, a goal at home and 3 points.

Which one of Fulham, Cardiff, Newcastle, Huddersfield or Southampton would that be?

Have I missed anyone out...... like Palace?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Of course I am very happy with the 3 points but I was hoping that the new players we got in would stop us playing like that especially at home against a mid table team.

Oh come on, mid table team? Wolves was the side that every man and his dog on NSC was tipping to be top 8 this season!
Carry on getting the 3 points in the bag, get to a point of relative safety then play more expansive football.
I think some fans need a reality check as clearly the most important thing in the management teams minds is points harvesting and survival. I think this will be the case for the next two or three seasons, while we (hopefully) build a team capable of holding its own in the Premier League.
As someone had previously stated history shows we have been in this position before and made the decisions that led to 30 years of suffering and near non existence.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Which one of Fulham, Cardiff, Newcastle, Huddersfield or Southampton would that be?

Have I missed anyone out...... like Palace?
Incidentally, win all the following games and we are in the PL next year for sure.

Fulham(a)
Cardiff x 2
Newcastle(h)
Huddersfield x 2
Southampton(h)
Palace x 2

:albion2:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think you have to look at Watford and Bournemouth who have come up, survived and evolved into exciting teams to watch. We’ve bought some exciting players in the summer, but they may require some time to have an impact. More exciting times to come I feel.

The new, exciting players that have been bought in can only have an impact if they get to play and if the coaching staff set the team up differently. Thank goodness for Murray. Without him we'd be screwed. Not taking anything away from the fantastic job our back 7 have been doing.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Oh come on, mid table team? Wolves was the side that every man and his dog on NSC was tipping to be top 8 this season!
Carry on getting the 3 points in the bag, get to a point of relative safety then play more expansive football.
I think some fans need a reality check as clearly the most important thing in the management teams minds is points harvesting and survival. I think this will be the case for the next two or three seasons, while we (hopefully) build a team capable of holding its own in the Premier League.
As someone had previously stated history shows we have been in this position before and made the decisions that led to 30 years of suffering and near non existence.

This.
CH is playing the ' long game ' Take advantage of a group of struggling teams early on, keep stretching the gap, until you are in a position where you have put clear daylight between yourselves and them. Keep it tight, grind it out and get wins on the board.
We have got through a really tough first 7 games, including Liverpool, City and Watford away and United and Tottenham at home, when it was not unreasonable to expect us to be imbedded firmly in the bottom three. Now we sit 11th , not playing that well but showing remarkable tenacity to grind out three successive wins against tricky opposition. A set of three fixtures that would have seen most fans accept 5-6 points as a good return.
There is a helluva lot to be optimistic about.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The new, exciting players that have been bought in can only have an impact if they get to play and if the coaching staff set the team up differently. Thank goodness for Murray. Without him we'd be screwed. Not taking anything away from the fantastic job our back 7 have been doing.

How would you set it up? He’s tried Bissouma, March and Locadia in various forms of the no.10 spot. Jahanbashk is getting an extended run in the team. Andone the only one we’ve not seen yet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No they weren't. They were more flamboyant than us. Like Larry Grayson compared with Michael Aspel. I know who I would rather have, reading the news.

Well that's just nonsense though, isn't it. On the day, we were battered in terms of possession, shots on goal, shots on target. Nowt to do with flamboyance. Tho luckily we could Shut That Door when it mattered

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Was I the only one who thought the game went the way it did because we couldn't cope with their formation? Time and again, our full backs were marking their "wide men" and their wing backs were in acres of space. A lot of promoted teams have a shock factor for a while whilst other teams figure them out. Huddersfield's cavalier style at the beginning of last season being a good example. Wolves had a technically gifted team and different tactics to what we normally see - their corners were something new as well. I don't think we set up to park the bus but just got overwhelmed with their movement. CH seems to have the number of an awful lot of teams but struggles to adapt the team in certain circumstances - Huddersfield again being a good example.

I am no tactical expert so don't know how you counter their setup but I guess someone will figure it out soon and then we will see how good they really are.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Of course I am very happy with the 3 points but I was hoping that the new players we got in would stop us playing like that especially at home against a mid table team.

We have been less fortunate with injuries this season.
Stephens missed a few and now we are missing Gross and Propper.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well that's just nonsense though, isn't it. On the day, we were battered in terms of possession, shots on goal, shots on target. Nowt to do with flamboyance. Tho luckily we could Shut That Door when it mattered

Wolves have a star studded team brought in on huge wages, lauded by the media.

I had this fixture down as a defeat.

Yet brilliant CH engineered a result, yet again.

Wolves have far better midfielders, creators, widemen, so they were always going to win all the meaningless stats. CH gave us superiority in the only stat that matters.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Wolves have far better midfielders, creators, widemen, so they were always going to win all the meaningless stats. CH gave us superiority in the only stat that matters.

We're 1 season and 2 months into our Premier League status, we have 3 or 4 games we haven't played that well in and come away with 9 points. I think there are sections of support that really do need a sense of perspective that we are not going to turn up to every home game and simply attack teams. Sometimes we will, we'll be on form and the players click on the day like vs MU. Other times we will have players getting a feel for the PL, or back from injury or settling into new positions and it will be disjointed, not flowing and awkward to watch, however winning games like that is a huge bonus. We are still an evolving side, with players yet to prove themselves. We really need to stick with it. Constructive criticism of the game and performance I have no issue with, but this wider negativity about the manager, tactics and selection that is creeping in I think is totally unwarranted.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Let's not forget that we've spent a few bob ourselves. But are still utterly reliant on 35 year old Glenn Murray for goals and our heroic defence throwing their bodies on the line for far too much of the game. That's got to be a concern shirley. Currently we're hardly reaping any benefit of the money spent on what was supposed to be an upgrade over the summer.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
ryan.JPG

The reason we consider the defending heroic. If not for this moment, we've had drawn and we'd be talking about a dreadful performance and slating Ryan for his kicking. Fine margins!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

:lolol::kiss:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We're 1 season and 2 months into our Premier League status, we have 3 or 4 games we haven't played that well in and come away with 9 points. I think there are sections of support that really do need a sense of perspective that we are not going to turn up to every home game and simply attack teams. Sometimes we will, we'll be on form and the players click on the day like vs MU. Other times we will have players getting a feel for the PL, or back from injury or settling into new positions and it will be disjointed, not flowing and awkward to watch, however winning games like that is a huge bonus. We are still an evolving side, with players yet to prove themselves. We really need to stick with it. Constructive criticism of the game and performance I have no issue with, but this wider negativity about the manager, tactics and selection that is creeping in I think is totally unwarranted.

This.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
no doubt something very good about a win however we played. We were fortunate against West Ham but yesterday cant understand how we gave up possession over whole pitch. Biggest problem was March who as no 10 should be the outlet between forwards and midfield and he may as well not been on pitch. I have seen under 23s who have looked very good in midfield and if manager doesnt think we have another no 10 why not give a young player a go. Anything is better then playing March out of position. Even when he crosses he just hits and hopes. Appreciate Murrays goals but still a problem no pace up front centrally

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How would you set it up? He’s tried Bissouma, March and Locadia in various forms of the no.10 spot. Jahanbashk is getting an extended run in the team. Andone the only one we’ve not seen yet.

I'm not being paid to set them up. Isn't that what the coaching team should be doing during the week?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here