Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers *** Official Match Thread ***

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
stats can say what you want depending on the stat you quote ... how about 14 out of a possible 30 is nearly 50% of available points ... would see us comfortable in top half of table if that continued all season

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Which part of "yes, I do understand the decision will have been made on the best available medical advice" do you not understand? I'm not questioning their competence, or doubting the club's integrity in making the decision. I'm just stating a personal opinion - I thought that was blatantly obvious.

And as for suggesting I think I know better - silly statement of the day! I personally, without any medical qualifications and not doubting the ability and integrity of the medical advice, just feel (just my own personal feeling) I would rather he'd had another week. I'm not questioning any decisions made, or arguing against them - just stating a personal - and OK, maybe irrational - opinion. Is that clear enough for you?

So, in your personal opinion, you’d want Glenn to ignore medical clearance and have a week off? You’re welcome to that opinion. I’m thankful Glenn followed (assuming there was) medical advice and played!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Quick look at the Wolves forum and they are fuming. We play negative shite hoofball according to them. I must admit I was impressed with some of their build up play and they dominated possession however they probably had the same amount of good chances as us? Key difference being they left Murray free 6 yards out, where's our defence threw their bodies in front of several shots, top save from Ryan at the end too.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Quick look at the Wolves forum and they are fuming. We play negative shite hoofball according to them. I must admit I was impressed with some of their build up play and they dominated possession however they probably had the same amount of good chances as us? Key difference being they left Murray free 6 yards out, where's our defence threw their bodies in front of several shots, top save from Ryan at the end too.

Yeah I would say on chances we were actually probably about equal, Duffy should have scored his header, Knockaert probably should have scored at the end, Jose when he was through against one defender should probably have just hit one low towards the far post as soon as he got in the box, both he and Knocky tried and failed to setup Ali J for a strike. They certainly dominated possession, but their quality in attack was basically cancelled out by our quality in defense.

We definately need to be better with the ball though, and not so desperate to get rid of it when we are under pressure, we are still giving the ball away a little cheap for me. 3 wins and clean sheets on the bounce should give us plenty of confidence going into November though.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Great result - seemingly a carbon copy of the superb defensive display at Newcastle last time out. Chris appears to have developed an extremely defensive approach in the two recent games to the extent that we're allowing a lot of space to the opponents until they reach the 30 yard mark, and then playing a game of eradicate the options. Ultimately we're playing to our strengths and why not? Dunk and Duffy are playing with fire and spirit, and Ryan has developed into a world class GK under Hughton.

I wish we could be more expansive, but I suspect Wolves would have picked us off today... We played the % game and (as with last week), it bloody well worked!

Well done boys.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Grinder today, but excellent 3 points

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah I would say on chances we were actually probably about equal, Duffy should have scored his header, Knockaert probably should have scored at the end, Jose when he was through against one defender should probably have just hit one low towards the far post as soon as he got in the box, both he and Knocky tried and failed to setup Ali J for a strike. They certainly dominated possession, but their quality in attack was basically cancelled out by our quality in defense.

We definately need to be better with the ball though, and not so desperate to get rid of it when we are under pressure, we are still giving the ball away a little cheap for me. 3 wins and clean sheets on the bounce should give us plenty of confidence going into November though.

Really!!! Were you at the same game as me? Wolves had 25 shots of which 7 were on target. We had 7 of which one (the goal) was on target. In other words, we didn't make their keeper make a save!

Certainly agree that we need to be better on the ball, we had two breakaway opportunities and in both we failed to get a shot at goal!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
First half was a bit dull, but the second half caught fire!

I thought Bennett (No. 5) and Doherty (No.2) were given far too much space and really tore up the right hand side for long periods in the first half. Boly should be a cage fighter by the way, not a footballer !!! He's a beast..

I thought Bong had a really decent game today, only one potential clanger that I saw and he got away with it. Some cheeky little twists and turns too. Dunk'n'Duffy were rock solid. Bruno soldiered on despite him clutching his ribs and grimacing. El Capitan and Warrior! Ryan, World Class. I liked how stuck in Kayal got, too and finally Stephens slotted straight back in like he'd never been away...

Things didn't pan out well for AJ today but not through lack of trying.

Overall I think we did well to take the lead, and some resolute defending got us the 3 points. I'd be a bit peeved if I was a Wolves fan....

:albion2:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So, in your personal opinion, you’d want Glenn to ignore medical clearance and have a week off?
Well, you seem determined to paraphrase it in a derogatory fashion, but yes, I would have preferred Glenn not to play. I thought I made that clear. That is very different from advising him to ignore medical advice.

You’re welcome to that opinion.
Yes, of course I am. I don't need you to tell me, but thank you kindly all the same.

I’m thankful Glenn followed (assuming there was) medical advice and played!
"Assuming there was medical advice" - you are only assuming there might have been some medical advice? :facepalm:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Really!!! Were you at the same game as me? Wolves had 25 shots of which 7 were on target. We had 7 of which one (the goal) was on target. In other words, we didn't make their keeper make a save!

Certainly agree that we need to be better on the ball, we had two breakaway opportunities and in both we failed to get a shot at goal!

Well I count those breakaways as chances since on both occassions we were at 2vs2 or 1vs1 and on both occassions the players on the ball are perfectly capable of putting it in from the position they were in. As for all their shots on target, there were at least a few of those which were meat and drink for Matty Ryan, so much so that I'd barely call them chances. I kind of feel that on balance we could probably reasonably have had 2 or 3 and they could probably reasonably have had about the same. But point taken. I do think there was, in terms of decent realistic opportunities to score, about the same for each side, but I appreciate that the stats (rightly or wrongly) tell a different story, and certainly in terms of possession they dominated.

Blue and white tinted spectacles may also be a factor, I'm not going to lie.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, in your personal opinion, you’d want Glenn to ignore medical clearance and have a week off? You’re welcome to that opinion. I’m thankful Glenn followed (assuming there was) medical advice and played!

You make it sound like the medical advice was that Murray should play. I don't mean to be picky, but I am pretty confident the medical advice would have been 'you are clear to play, if you feel up to it, if the manager wants to pick you'. So playing Murray isn't 'following medical advice' and not playing him wouldn't have been 'ignoring medical advice'. Our doctors don't pick the team, they just say whether they are medically clear to play, should Hughton wish to use them.

Last edited:

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Anyone watch Merson’s clip on the sky sports app, gushing over Bruno/Matty/Murray... not bad for a man who was less than complimentary when we started life in the Prem!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Far from a classic performance. Gave them far too much respect in the first half and their three at the back isolated Murray who might as well not have been there and looked half fit. On the other hand they looked ok with the ball in non-dangerous areas but never looked like breaking us down with the exception of when we let Doherty run straight through us and somehow miss when it was easier to score. I have no idea why we've fallen out of love with Montoya. Bruno was ripped to bits by their pace and lacked his usual technique.

That said we took a poacher's goal, Duffy missed just as good a chance with the header and we really should have put Ali J one on one with the keeper twice. Between that Doherty miss and the save at the end they never looked like scoring and several of the 25 shots were either blocked or way off beam.

It's a lesson for them that you can never switch off at this level - the same lesson we learned a fair bit last season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here