Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Earthquakes a week after fracking commences...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Really? Quote me an area where this is happening - I'm from Mid Cheshire where there WAS massive problems of Salt Extraction subsidence. Most coal mines were far too deep to cause an issue.

Loads of places in Dudley sank due to the coal mines beneath the town. This was a long time ago mind you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A classic case of correlation being confused with cause. Totally unscientific.

There is an argument to be had around fracking though. In the "terrible for the environment" corner is the fact that we are unsure of the long term impacts on sites and that it returns us to a reliance on fossil fuels over green, renewable energy like wind, solar etc. In the "mitigates risks for us" corner it has the potential to totally reduce the reliance on those pesky Ruskies for piped gas. So far no one has been able to convince me either way.

This. And Mrs T agrees.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We had to extract and burn that gas. Sure, we're cooking the planet.
But what was the alternative? Admitting Al Gore and the Greens and hippies were right?

We had no choice.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Coal burning was making great efforts to clean its act up up until the mid 1990's . . . despite the 'emissions' I still think its a better idea than nuclear.

Fracking may well be 'cheap' now, but too many unknowns . . . the fact the Americans are the only ones keen on it says everything you need to know.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Coal burning was making great efforts to clean its act up up until the mid 1990's . . . despite the 'emissions' I still think its a better idea than nuclear.

Fracking may well be 'cheap' now, but too many unknowns . . . the fact the Americans are the only ones keen on it says everything you need to know.

the Americans are keen because it removes the reliance on overseas oil and gas, which is a really good idea. if you have a choice to import fuel from Saudi Arabia, or Texas, which makes more sense? should we prefer we ship oil from Nigeria or get it from Lancashire?

question about tremors is not so much if they occur but if they matter. or perhaps the test show they are too frequent and do have effect so the site is not suitable? we will realistically always need a source of oil and gas, getting it locally seems better over all than shipping in if possible.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm no great fan of Fracking - we need to stop burning carbon - but can we stop calling minor tremors, that pretty much no-one could possibly feel, earthquakes please?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wasn't it Thatcher who brought loads of cheap coal in from South America . . . .to offset the shortfall due to closing our own mines. . . .if things go really tits up in the next few years people will start mining here again!

the Americans are keen because it removes the reliance on overseas oil and gas, which is a really good idea. if you have a choice to import fuel from Saudi Arabia, or Texas, which makes more sense? should we prefer we ship oil from Nigeria or get it from Lancashire?

question about tremors is not so much if they occur but if they matter. or perhaps the test show they are too frequent and do have effect so the site is not suitable? we will realistically always need a source of oil and gas, getting it locally seems better over all than shipping in if possible.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder how much of that was also said when oil exploration started?

No idea. I remember that back in the fifties we always seemed to have a bu88er of a thunderstorm after every big nuclear test. Cause and effect or coincidence? F*** knows - I certainly don't!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here