Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I Tunes

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
You have been told that Spotify is not the best source to use to (permanently) keep music you have downloaded - but what has this got to do with 'how do I copy music that I have bought onto an MP3 player'?

Not for the first time, I am baffled
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :ffsparr:

I copied it to a usb stick then copied the usb stick a laptop that didnt have I tunes installed on it. Spotify is just a possible alternative so I may take out the 30 day free trial Premium then download the music during this time and then cancel the subscription after 29 days.[/QUOTE]

And has been pointed out to you already but hey ho. What are you going to do after 29 days , you wont still have the music ! You can only use spotify etc with a subscription. If you stop paying for it you will lose what you have downloaded.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I copied it to a usb stick then copied the usb stick a laptop that didnt have I tunes installed on it. Spotify is just a possible alternative so I may take out the 30 day free trial Premium then download the music during this time and then cancel the subscription after 29 days.

As I said above that won’t work, Spotify doesn’t work in the traditional sense of a download. You can listen to the tracks via the Spotify app when you are offline, once you cancel your subscription you’ll have no access to the downloaded tracks. Your subscription is essentially paying for access to the tracks, you don’t actually purchase the tracks like when you buy from iTunes.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I know that adverts are targeted to your browsing history and so on - but I didn't know they were now so advanced as to pass comment on the thread....

Capture.JPG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I said above that won’t work, Spotify doesn’t work in the traditional sense of a download. You can listen to the tracks via the Spotify app when you are offline, once you cancel your subscription you’ll have no access to the downloaded tracks. Your subscription is essentially paying for access to the tracks, you don’t actually purchase the tracks like when you buy from iTunes.
g

1 am confused, not difficult I know, earlier father and son said that you never buy the tunes from i tunes just pay a lifetime rental and Spotify website states that to download them permenantly to cd, usb or MP3 you need to take out Premier subscription.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
g

1 am confused, not difficult I know, earlier father and son said that you never buy the tunes from i tunes just pay a lifetime rental and Spotify website states that to download them permenantly to cd, usb or MP3 you need to take out Premier subscription.

I’ve never seen the Spotify website mention downloading to cd etc, please post a link.

Father and Son is right, with iTunes you are purchasing a licence to listen to/sync the track/album on authorised devices for life. You only have access to tracks you purchase with iTunes or those cds you own and rip with iTunes.

With Spotify you are paying a subscription for a streaming service to listen to any of the tracks in their library, you also have the ability to download the tracks for offline listening all the time you pay for the subscription, once your subscription ends you lose access to the Spotify downloads as they are tied to the premium account.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not understand, If a tune is copied from Spotify to a usb and used in a device that doesnt have Spotify downloaded how can they stop its use? Surely they wont know where or on what it is being used once it is copied.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Where to start..?

When you buy a track or album from Apple you are actually, in effect, leasing it from them. There is no product you own. You cannot give it, donate it or otherwise transfer it to someone else. It is a licence to listen to that piece of music but no other rights usually associated with "ownership".

iTunes can read mp3 format music and add it to your library. However, music "purchased" from Apple is held in their own proprietary format and not as mp3 - meaning you cannot play Apple-sourced music on anything but Apple hardware.

If you are trying to copy "music" from your iTunes directory to a CD then it just will not work... you are not copying anything that will play in any CD player.

On top of these there are numerous reasons why her "mp3 player" won't read an SD card which is formatted on a different device. Are the two devices even using the same operating system?

There is a huge long list of why you just can't do what you are trying to do!

Keep up at the back. iTunes stopped selling DRMd mp3s years ago. It's just BGs many incompetencies preventing this from working not a technical hurdle.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What I have never grasped about BG's family is why they all go to him for their IT advice. I've never once when a piece of technology hasn't been working taken it to an elderly relative and expected them to get it to work any better. I can only conclude that BG's grandchildren are either a) absolute lunatics or b) don't actually exist.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What I have never grasped about BG's family is why they all go to him for their IT advice. I've never once when a piece of technology hasn't been working taken it to an elderly relative and expected them to get it to work any better. I can only conclude that BG's grandchildren are either a) absolute lunatics or b) don't actually exist.

Or C they aren't given any choice.

"Give it here I will fix it, it won't be difficult after all my nickname is #neverwrong for a reason".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Those that come to me are aged 5. 7 and 9 although the eldest is getting quite IT knowledgeable but they also know that if granddad cant fix it with the help of NSC etc I will take it to somebody who can and pay for it.so it is quite logical really as they know it will be fixed or replaced.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You may all scoff but I have resilience and determination not to be beaten and I am sure that if some of the younger people had the same attitude they would benefit from it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You may all scoff but I have resilience and determination not to be beaten and I am sure that if some of the younger people had the same attitude they would benefit from it.

Trust me BG it is a damn good thing that younng people aren't anything like you.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I do not understand, If a tune is copied from Spotify to a usb and used in a device that doesnt have Spotify downloaded how can they stop its use? Surely they wont know where or on what it is being used once it is copied.

You cannot copy a track from Spotify, as I’ve said numerous times when you download a track with Spotify you are only able to listen to it through the Spotify app. Once you cancel any subscription you lose access to those tracks.

Think about it logically, why would a service that costs £10 a month to access millions of tracks allow you to copy and transfer tracks to other devices and then cancel your subscription when a single album costs £10 (approx) through most digital download sites? It makes no sense as people would sign up for a month download all the music they want and then unsubscribe. Not to mention they’d have all the record labels pulling their tracks from the service quicker than Wilf Zaha going to ground in the penalty area.

You could use third party unsupported software which is illegal and a breach of your subscription agreement with Spotify to rip the tracks out of the app but that also adds risk of malware that most of these bits of software are riddled with infecting your computer. I certainly wouldn’t recommend even attempting this route.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here