Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Retirement

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Don't forget your National Express COACHCARD for those red-eye Gatwick flights at Easyjet o'clock. Journey will cost you about a tenth of what a cab would cost.

Not keen on flying (unfortunately), but will look into the Coachcard for trips around UK :thumbsup:

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Thanks guys. Interesting thread. I’m also considering my retirement options but as I work from home a lot (and often have little to do although my company don’t seem to realise that! I already find lots of ways to fill my time. At the moment it seems like it would be a pity to retire and up doing largely the same as I do now while not getting paid for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks guys. Interesting thread. I’m also considering my retirement options but as I work from home a lot (and often have little to do although my company don’t seem to realise that! I already find lots of ways to fill my time. At the moment it seems like it would be a pity to retire and up doing largely the same as I do now while not getting paid for it!
I'm sure there are a good number of regular NSCers who can relate to that sentiment...!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very interesting read, especially about the option of having a lot of money regularly as opposed to what in life is better.

Think my decision is made.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Like anything in life, retirement needs a little thought and work. Suddenly you become time rich and as long as you are not money poor as a result of retiring (if so, part-time may be an option) you can for once really control your time.

I was lucky in that I could work part-time for few years before giving up entirely. if that is an option, seriously consider it as it eases you in; time to build up ideas and research into how, what and when.

I have been fully retired for four years; the first two were dominated by youngest son's illness and, ultimately, tragic death aged 28. Since then, we have gradually built up confidence and found plenty to do. I worked on a photography course for a while; we travelled a lot (mainly independently as I am adventurous, my wife a writer, so our interest diverge). We moved house and have plenty of time to sort the unpacking, arrange tradespeople, and do some of the decorating and remedial work. It is very useful to be able to say 'yes' to most of the dates suggested. Even waiting in all day for the UPS parcel (god, they are the pits) that doesn't arrive seems less important as we can still be in tomorrow.

Voluntary work is a great idea - loads of things to do. I volunteer in a Science Centre. Would suggest trying to avoid regular commitment; one of my friends is 'committed' every Wednesday; loves what he does but does regret the lack of flexibility.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Very interesting read, especially about the option of having a lot of money regularly as opposed to what in life is better.

Think my decision is made.

We would all like to 'have enough' but how much is enough? if only we knew the end date it would make retirement planning so much easier, I could plug that date into my planning spreadsheet, along with the assumptions for SIPP growth (if only), and future inflation and percentage increases to my small DB and state pensions when they are available. Having done the long days needed to do the London Bridge shuffle together with long motorway commutes and witnessed the aftermath of some of plonker driving on the M25 (other roads/motorways are available) the risks of stress, tiredness and being involved in accidents increase and I'm pleased I no longer do them. Accidents or illness can strike at any time, I'm glad I'm able to relax and enjoy life a little.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Does anyone have advice on day to day good and bad points on reaching retirement .... asking for a friend

I don't mean financial, stuff like social isolation, laziness, boredom

I presume you have already sorted your CDs in to alphabetical order by artist, then release date order for each artist?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
By a spooky coincidence it's actually my final day today in the career that's sustained me over 40 years (and 2 months). I claim no wisdom and every case is different. I've avoided the 'cliff-edge effect'(i.e. going from 100% to 0% overnight) by

a) reducing in stages - a 0.4 contract from 60-62 and a 0.2 from 62-64

b) developing some very small (paid) jobs as I was scaling down in the main one. They don't add up to much in terms of money or time but they get me out of the house, allow me to see a bit of the country and trade on my main asset - experience

Of course not everyone can employ a) and/or b) but if you can then I'd recommend it; the gradient to full retirement is much gentler and you get that priceless commodity: choice. But you do need to plan it and cultivate any contacts before you become 'yesterday's man'. (In fact I applied for one more job this afternoon while I've still got my 'corporate' email address.)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My cousin, after nearly 40 years in the army, applied and was surprised when they told him his demographic (retired officer) was over-represented.

Personally, unless you have a burning desire, I wouldn't bother these days; magistrates are treated more like staff by HMCTS and more and more independence is being removed in favour of over-prescriptive sentencing.

Good points. They are trying to widen demographics. Independence is key, without a least a bit there is little interest

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We would all like to 'have enough' but how much is enough? if only we knew the end date it would make retirement planning so much easier

That is the point you have to make the plunge and accept the consequences, the stress levels where I am are unacceptable in my view given what I would get leaving and perhaps some part-time work for a few years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sure there are a good number of regular NSCers who can relate to that sentiment...!!!

Several distant employers are unknowingly paying people 'working from home' to tap away / read on NSC for half their day.

I suspect that they're larger employers, as small business owners are paranoid (rightly so) that p-taking goes on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Several distant employers are unknowingly paying people 'working from home' to tap away / read on NSC for half their day.

I suspect that they're larger employers, as small business owners are paranoid (rightly so) that p-taking goes on.

I multi-task when I’m on some of the interminable conference calls our organisation seems to thrive on. Getting progressively more difficult now we use videocalls much more [emoji23][emoji23]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I multi-task when I’m on some of the interminable conference calls our organisation seems to thrive on. Getting progressively more difficult now we use videocalls much more [emoji23][emoji23]

I work alot from home, but for myself.

To break the day, millions of quasi-house husbands are doing the laundry, mowing the lawn, loading the dishwasher and taping away on internet forums.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I will be retiring in December and have a few ideas on what to get involved in.
1. Ancestry research I want to trace my family back as far as possible. (Surname is Cook so maybe ...............................)
2. Photography bought a new camera last year and using my Bus Pass will get on and travel around Malta and take loads of photos.
3. Walking - Will gradually increase my distances from 5k onwards and upwards
4. Volunteer at some NGO (Maybe Inspire https://inspire.org.mt/ or an animal charity)
5. Cooking - Will take over the role as chief cook and bottle washer

Think that should do

Very good choice except the last item,you are retiring,the lady of the house wont take kindly to being subbed

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I have down time in my job and then bursts of frantic mania. I don't drink tea or smoke so have NSC breaks instead.
I admit I could be doing something more productive in the down time tho'

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I presume you have already sorted your CDs in to alphabetical order by artist, then release date order for each artist?

no they are in a random, chaotic order that would only make sense to me. I also have a terrible habit of putting them back in the wrong cases

Oh no, that's awful. How can you live like that?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I will be retiring in December and have a few ideas on what to get involved in.
1. Ancestry research I want to trace my family back as far as possible. (Surname is Cook so maybe ...............................)
2. Photography bought a new camera last year and using my Bus Pass will get on and travel around Malta and take loads of photos.
3. Walking - Will gradually increase my distances from 5k onwards and upwards
4. Volunteer at some NGO (Maybe Inspire https://inspire.org.mt/ or an animal charity)
5. Cooking - Will take over the role as chief cook and bottle washer

Think that should do
Change of plan!

Been asked to stay on until June 2019.

Accepted, as this will pay for 2 more cruises :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here