Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Bohemian Rhapsody - Biopic movie.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They are both excellent imo. A star is born is brilliant as well and I thought it set a bar BR could not match. I was wrong. A Star is Born has smashed it all across the World, it has taken £ 20m here but I think BR will also do the same. It took £ 10m here alone on it's first weekend last week and will also be huge in the USA as they Loved Queen there and across the World. I think BR will end up taking more, maybe $ 400 m to a star is born's $ 350 m. Cooper is the hot favourite to pick up best actor oscar at 4/6 but I think Malek is a decent shout at 11/2. Gaga should walk away with the best actress Oscar for me at 11/10, one of the best debut performances ever. I Loved them both hugely

Not so sure about the love in with Queen in the States post 'I want to break free' as it is sort of mentioned in the film, Certainly the singles and albums post 'I want to break free' in the States did not reach the higher chart positions that the earlier stuff did, which can be traced back to the cross dressing video. Yes they play a lot of Queen stuff at arenas which is not necessarily the same.

I saw the film this afternoon and was surprised how emotionally informed I became with the film, with the MSG and Live Aid segments being the strongest for me. I enjoyed the film far more than I expected and would say its the best musical biopic I've seen since The Doors.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Obvious inaccuracies aside, the film is brilliant and, as mentioned elsewhere, it is 'based on fact' rather than being actual fact. It's entertainment, not a documentary.

Malek is great as Freddie and the cast as a whole is great. Music is superb - obviously!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I went to see it last night with wife and 15 year old and we all really enjoyed it. I am no fan of the music and didn't really know the story apart from the obvious so just let it wash over me. My 15 year old absolutely loved it and I could see was really moved by the family part of the story. I am very surprised to say that I would strongly recommend it and I hate Queen's music. A really good night out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Obvious inaccuracies aside

I'd say pushing his diagnosis back a couple of years to give a new meaning to Live Aid is quite a large one.

And I understand the film has replaced their highly controversial tour of South Africa with a period of break up :)

How convenient.

I will see it but have followed the story of production quite closely. Always been worried that beyond making a narrative out of reality, the band have taken the chance to overwrite the inconvenient past.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Brilliant film, anyone else get quite emotional watching it to or was that just me? :blush:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was only aware it was possibly a thing when SBC walked away. That said all I needed to know.

I'm no Queen 'fan' but they made some very good music in the 70's. And collectively became very wealthy as a consequence of that and their 80's output. Why the remaining 3 members seem so keen to bastardise their history I don't know.

Take a leaf out of the Jam/Clash book.

I'd say pushing his diagnosis back a couple of years to give a new meaning to Live Aid is quite a large one.

And I understand the film has replaced their highly controversial tour of South Africa with a period of break up :)

How convenient.

I will see it but have followed the story of production quite closely. Always been worried that beyond making a narrative out of reality, the band have taken the chance to overwrite the inconvenient past.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was only aware it was possibly a thing when SBC walked away. That said all I needed to know.

I'm no Queen 'fan' but they made some very good music in the 70's. And collectively became very wealthy as a consequence of that and their 80's output. Why the remaining 3 members seem so keen to bastardise their history I don't know.

Take a leaf out of the Jam/Clash book.

I'm not worried about the moving about of things to make a better story, but to re-invent the past ?

Again haven't seen it - but I'm aware there is a sub-plot regarding Mercury wanting time off to make a solo Album and it causing friction ?

The others had made three solo Albums before him. What caused a rift was CBS paying him more money than their own record deal.

:lolol:

Irrespective of that, they played on each others albums and the remaining members took some of the material after his death, remixed it and re-sold it as Queen.

It may be a great film and the music amazing, but I think what's actually been made, rather than a biopic is what the remaining of the band would like the audience to think what happened.

[yt]xq-M4JA3fIU[/yt]

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A bounce for this - went last night with Mrs on a "date-night".

Same as others have said, going to the flicks is to be "entertained" not "educated" and we were both thoroughly and enjoyably entertained.

Freddie was "born to perform" and Malik did a credible impersonation.
Listening to the music on a quality surround-sound added to the entertainment and got the feet tapping too.
I was impressed from scene 1 where they showed the Wembley twin-towers [that obviously aren't there anymore] and crowds walking down Wembley Way - cleverly produced and directed IMHO

It's a yes from me!

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Never ceases to amaze me when people go and see a MOVIE, then pick holes in how true-to-life it is. Same as with stuff like Braveheart and William Wallace, when people were falling over themselves to pour scorn on its historical accuracy.

If you want to know the facts, whistle up a documentary or read a book. If you want to see a drama with some artistic licence being taken, then go along to the film, but set your default expectations to "entertainment" not "education", and try to enjoy it for what it is - a dramatisation BASED on events, not a chapter-and-verse biopic.

(Not seen this Queen film yet, but I'll probably have a sniff as I was a bit of a fan back in the day).

From my point of view it's because, in the eyes of people who don't know or aren't motivated to research the subject, what they see in a MOVIE becomes unarguable fact. Hollywood changes history for entertainment purposes and, call me old fashioned, I don't like it. That's why I won't go. I don't deny you or anyone else's right to see it and enjoy it but I am surprised you are amazed when people pick up on content that simply isn't true.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Fantastic entertainment and surely Malik will get awards for that performance. Havent read them but how on earth were critics so anti

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From my point of view it's because, in the eyes of people who don't know or aren't motivated to research the subject, what they see in a MOVIE becomes unarguable fact. Hollywood changes history for entertainment purposes and, call me old fashioned, I don't like it. That's why I won't go. I don't deny you or anyone else's right to see it and enjoy it but I am surprised you are amazed when people pick up on content that simply isn't true.

Everyone should be capable of taking along a pocket of salt for them to pinch when going to see a movie BASED on historical events, and just enjoy it for what it is. It really should go without saying. I enjoyed Darkest Hour very much, but I couldn't take ALL of it seriously, particularly that toe-curling scene in the underground carriage.

The people who who use Jerry Bruckheimer and Hollywood as their educational lightning rods are probably the ones who also read The Sun and point at planes. I'm aware that they exist, but they're pretty much a lost cause and not really worth engaging with.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting they took liberties with the timeline of events of Freddy's life AND YET the Live Aid performance on screen was a virtual carbon copy of the 1985 gig.

The producers clearly wanted to capture the magic of his most famous stage appearance and by doing so they caught his very essence. Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009

I agree with you but at least the makers of Darkest Hour were upfront about the fact it was a purely fictional scene and that they needed to do it as a tool for explaining how Churchill came to that way of thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here