Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] GBK in trouble

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As I've said on several other threads, to my way of thinking, a burger should never be labelled as 'gourmet', the two words just don't belong together. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a burger just as much as the next man, but I'm not looking for anything fancy, just good old fashioned fast food, and as you quite rightly say, a trip to McDonald's, or even Burger King, is enough to satisfy my palate.

Exactly. It is after all just a minced meat patty served up between two pieces of bread. You can add herbs and spices and serve it up with different sauces etc, but at the end of the day, like pizza, it's a simple food. Anybody adding words like 'rustic', 'artisan' or 'gourmet' to justify charging over a fiver gets found out eventually.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
They are overpriced without a doubt, the only reason I go there with my wife is because we get 25% discount from being Picture House members, think they also give discount to NHS Staff amongst others.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Went once. The remortgage wasn't worth the second visit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly. It is after all just a minced meat patty served up between two pieces of bread. You can add herbs and spices and serve it up with different sauces etc, but at the end of the day, like pizza, it's a simple food. Anybody adding words like 'rustic', 'artisan' or 'gourmet' to justify charging over a fiver gets found out eventually.

I do love a gourmet pizza. The Salami Social Club Black Sausage Pizza is double thumbs-up: bacon, black sausage, mushrooms, maple syrup. Nice selection of craft as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As I've said on several other threads, to my way of thinking, a burger should never be labelled as 'gourmet', the two words just don't belong together. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a burger just as much as the next man, but I'm not looking for anything fancy, just good old fashioned fast food, and as you quite rightly say, a trip to McDonald's, or even Burger King, is enough to satisfy my palate.

Can't really compare the thin, tasteless (and always overcooked for my taste - decent burger needs to be thick, and pink in the middle not dry and grey/brown throughout) patties served up by Maccy Ds or BK with some of the much thicker 'gourmet' (agree it's a stupid term for a burger though) burgers around IMO.

Had an excellent burger in Newcastle on Friday night pre-match at a place called Fat Hippo which I think is a purely local establishment (couple of branches in the city). On the question of bread, went for the 'bunless' option which was a good move, as it came with a mountain of 'superfries' (chips covered in cheese, ranch dressing and bacon bits etc) so didn't need to be bloated even further by any bread. Sounds (and looks) like a messy dish and it was, but bloody lovely :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here