Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton And Hove Albion U23 v Benfica Premier League international cup 7pm Tonight

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Although no further goals, we’re bossing it possession wise. Playing some lovely football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I would absolutely hate to be a defender up against Connolly he just doesn't stop pressing , excellent display so far .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The u23s have been one of the big successes the last 2 seasons. Our infrastructure investment is paying off big time. Still don’t feel they’re getting the praise / acknowledgment they deserve on here.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, they've been a huge success ... and supporting Brighton all these years, I can't remember another time when a look at all our youth teams on the up and producing good players. Usually you look at the youth league tables and we've been somewhere near the bottom.

With this youth team there's a buzz. I can name the whole team, tell you their positions and know most of the subs. For the last 20-30 years I could barely name 2 or 3 of them

The u23s have been one of the big successes the last 2 seasons. Our infrastructure investment is paying off big time. Still don’t feel they’re getting the praise / acknowledgment they deserve on here.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, they've been a huge success ... and supporting Brighton all these years, I can't remember another time when a look at all our youth teams on the up and producing good players. Usually you look at the youth league tables and we've been somewhere near the bottom.

With this youth team there's a buzz. I can name the whole team, tell you their positions and know most of the subs. For the last 20-30 years I could barely name 2 or 3 of them

How could you forget Joe Gatting, Chris McPhee, Tommy Fraser and Scott Ramsay?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Good win , good performance & a clean sheet ... maybe a bit picky but probably should have been even more comfortable with a 3rd if not 4th goal. Could not see Benfica scoring if they played til midnight as Albions defence was mighty impressive and matching their 1st team counter parts for determination.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Some of the all knowing legends (I'm going to say Biggully but not sure) on here are still slagging off the u23's for not being an instant success.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Are you off the gear now then?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So yes, I'd heard of them when they got to the first team, but not really before that.

Though actually, that Dean Wilkins team was really the only period where we had decent players (by league 1 standards) coming through ... and there was a bit of buzz about the youth team ... I think Harding, Hinsh, Virgo and Sullivan were coming through the youth ranks around then. Robinson, Cox and the less celebrated players you mentioned, had broken through. Apart from that brief interlude our youth football hasn't been that inspiring or watchable ... We may have produced the odd player, but never really the same sense as now that there is a generation coming through the ranks

How could you forget Joe Gatting, Chris McPhee, Tommy Fraser and Scott Ramsay?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some of the all knowing legends (I'm going to say Biggully but not sure) on here are still slagging off the u23's for not being an instant success.
Indeed, and there are still some who will ridicule the idea of occasionally putting a youngster on the bench for the experience - and maybe 10-15 minutes on the pitch if we're 3-0 up (or 3-0 down I suppose) - 'oh no, they're too young, it's a different level of football, they're way off being anywhere near ready yet, won't be for two years or more' etc, etc.

Expect one or more on here in a few minutes actually.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Great result. Good game to watch. Enjoyed that stream.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Lets see. Will be a complete failure if none make into the first team squad regularly. When was the last one ? March 4 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So yes, I'd heard of them when they got to the first team, but not really before that.

Though actually, that Dean Wilkins team was really the only period where we had decent players (by league 1 standards) coming through ... and there was a bit of buzz about the youth team ... I think Harding, Hinsh, Virgo and Sullivan were coming through the youth ranks around then. Robinson, Cox and the less celebrated players you mentioned, had broken through. Apart from that brief interlude our youth football hasn't been that inspiring or watchable ... We may have produced the odd player, but never really the same sense as now that there is a generation coming through the ranks

You do our youth teams a disservice. Christian Walton is a regular in a Championship side, JFC plays for Charlton, Elphick for Hull, and Cook who plays for Bournemouth. These were all British born and bred.

We have two home grown players in our first team in the Premier League. Very few teams can say that.

Now the Academy is up and running we can get the foreign players in and coach them to the standards we want, but it takes time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here