Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton And Hove Albion U23 v Benfica Premier League international cup 7pm Tonight

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Indeed, and there are still some who will ridicule the idea of occasionally putting a youngster on the bench for the experience - and maybe 10-15 minutes on the pitch if we're 3-0 up (or 3-0 down I suppose) - 'oh no, they're too young, it's a different level of football, they're way off being anywhere near ready yet, won't be for two years or more' etc, etc.

Expect one or more on here in a few minutes actually.

Sanders was superb, and plays in a very similar style to Stephens.

Normann I thought was a little sloppy at times in the first half, but in the second his radar was spot on, and consequently creativity wise, we looked more dangerous.

Connolly missed a couple of good chances, but was very good throughout.

Barclay very capable throughout.

Very enjoyable evening and once again lots of promise for the future.

Re your post. I agree and given we have 7 subs these days, I really do feel teams should be forced to have at least one U21 on the bench....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Errrr. So yes, i'm saying the youth team is good now. Historically, we've produced the odd good player, but never (apart from under Wilkins) the sense that there's a whole youth team who are worth following closely

You do our youth teams a disservice. Christian Walton is a regular in a Championship side, JFC plays for Charlton, Elphick for Hull, and Cook who plays for Bournemouth. These were all British born and bred.

We have two home grown players in our first team in the Premier League. Very few teams can say that.

Now the Academy is up and running we can get the foreign players in and coach them to the standards we want, but it takes time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Bar to get into the 1st XI is much higher now. It's a work in progress, but progress is what we are seeing. I'd like to think we get 1 or 2 into the first team squad next season...

That's the paradox. We have the money and the infrastructure to produce young footballers of a far higher standard than we've ever done previously. Yet their path to the first team is, logically, longer and harder than it's ever been before. I imagine we'll see more and more going out on loan, and some eventually being sold on. I'd like to think we'll value them highly when they do come to move on though.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Errrr. So yes, i'm saying the youth team is good now. Historically, we've produced the odd good player, but never (apart from under Wilkins) the sense that there's a whole youth team who are worth following closely

Then you've missed out watching the previous youth teams. They were always worth following.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My oh my it’s fantastic to see how well the academy and our youth setup is progressing... for me the path over the past few years, has been akin to that of a really legendary band getting it together. Yes for example, two slightly dodgy albums, a promising third and then: a fragile work of genius bringing us closer to the edge of footballing brilliance.

Yes; yes... that’s how I see it.

To think I thought the Sam Rents debut suite (third movement, reprise) was as good as it would get!!

Pass me the ****ing Bong, Beram, tonight is going to be a night to remember...

I’ll get my cloak.

Yours is no disgrace :)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s a real pleasure watching the U23’s. They play with passion and style and correctly try and emulate the first team, albeit at a quicker pace. The standard of play is streets ahead of any Albion reserve or youth football EVER yet only a few, at most will make the first team.

We as fans can’t judge how well they would adapt to PL standard but I for one think they are at least a year in the cHampionship away from even a place on the bench.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Could Rusk be a potential successor to CH? Getting some great results and would fit in with the model of continuity the club seem to be attempting to create with the employment of Ashworth

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Lets see. Will be a complete failure if none make into the first team squad regularly. When was the last one ? March 4 years ago?

Not necessarily. It would have been worth it to claim our top level status and to enhance our attraction for the future etc - it’s not allnjust first team this and that. Also, it may take some time before players start coming through - and it is rare even at the best academy’s - just look at Man City! Certainly isn’t and won’t be a failure imo.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not necessarily. It would have been worth it to claim our top level status and to enhance our attraction for the future etc - it’s not allnjust first team this and that. Also, it may take some time before players start coming through - and it is rare even at the best academy’s - just look at Man City! Certainly isn’t and won’t be a failure imo.

Absolutely, IMO one gem and it becomes worth it.

Who is to say that:

Walton and Sanchez aren’t the next Ryan
Cox won’t go on to replace Bong
Barclay or White isn’t the next Dunk/Lawrenson
Sanders the next Stephens
Connolly the next Peter Ward?

Lots of potential and promise at the moment.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Exactly. It’s all part of creating an elite level environment for players to come in to and if we do get the odd player coming through to become first team players, it’s a bonus. How many times do you hear players talk about facilities and the future etc when they sign, modern players do care about these things.

It is also about creating an additional income stream, bring players through who maybe aren’t good enough for the first team but we sell for profit - see Chelsea. Cynical to some but the way of the modern football world and sensible from my point of view.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Good win , good performance & a clean sheet ... maybe a bit picky but probably should have been even more comfortable with a 3rd if not 4th goal. Could not see Benfica scoring if they played til midnight as Albions defence was mighty impressive and matching their 1st team counter parts for determination.

Does rather beg the question, did we really need Dan Burn when we have Ben White and others?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
That's the paradox. We have the money and the infrastructure to produce young footballers of a far higher standard than we've ever done previously. Yet their path to the first team is, logically, longer and harder than it's ever been before. I imagine we'll see more and more going out on loan, and some eventually being sold on. I'd like to think we'll value them highly when they do come to move on though.

I'm sure paying the running costs via sales of the academy will be part of the objectives of the project. The London clubs have a steady stream of players coming through that don't quite make the 1st team but command fees or sell on clauses when they drop into the lower leagues. The U23's and youth teams are becoming steadily more competitive and this can only be a good thing. If we are to ever make the jump from also rans to challengers for even the european places we need to find stars from our own ranks as we will never make that jump via the market alone.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I would absolutely hate to be a defender up against Connolly he just doesn't stop pressing , excellent display so far .

Reminds me a bit of Rooney when he started out - and remember be is still only 18.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
We’ve had some bargains but the average cost of signing a first team squad player has got to be in the region of 10m. One player every 2 years making the grade should represent value, especially if we sell others for profit with sell-on fees. I think we have 3-4 players who are possibly one beneficial loan move away from being ready. Great progress.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Reminds me a bit of Rooney when he started out - and remember be is still only 18.

Blimey that’s exactly what I said to somebody last night , won’t really know just how good he is until used in the 1st team but he is relentless in his work has a excellent first touch holds the ball up well wins fouls from giant CB’s and obviously knows where the net is , he even tried to chip the goalie from 45 yards last night , we shall see .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Presumably the reason Dan Ashworth has been signed as Technical Director is to help getting academy players ready for first team or senior football. Let's see how he does.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We’ve had some bargains but the average cost of signing a first team squad player has got to be in the region of 10m. One player every 2 years making the grade should represent value, especially if we sell others for profit with sell-on fees. I think we have 3-4 players who are possibly one beneficial loan move away from being ready. Great progress.

Agree. Just think of how much we'd have to pay on the open market for a player of Dunk or March's quality? I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at annual academy running costs, but my guess is that the model is something like ... Not many academy players need to make it through for it to pay for itself. Two or Three £200k sales with a 20% sell on clause to a league 1 side every year will also help to reduce annual losses while we wait for the 1 big breakthrough every couple of years which will help it at least break even

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Agree. Just think of how much we'd have to pay on the open market for a player of Dunk or March's quality? I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at annual academy running costs, but my guess is that the model is something like ... Not many academy players need to make it through for it to pay for itself. Two or Three £200k sales with a 20% sell on clause to a league 1 side every year will also help to reduce annual losses while we wait for the 1 big breakthrough every couple of years which will help it at least break even

Not so sure of the economics of selling players for £200k when we're buying them for well over £1m each.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We might have to beat Bayern by more than Everton do ???

Second time Benfica have lost at Lancing

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
For what it’s worth I think Cox , Connolly , and Gyokeres will at least make the bench for the FA Cup 3rd round game if we face lower opposition teams like Wednesday for example .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here