Votes: 20 10.7%
  • No - I used to but it's not fashionable anymore

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • No - other

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Started wearing my 2018 seagull crest poppy at the weekend, got ours from the club shop.

Thanks Pal - how much are they? Is it the one pictured?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Worn too early and for too long.
This year is perfect......Sunday 11th November......11.00am........lest we forget.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My Mrs purchased Seagulls crest poppies for me and her and they'll be worn from 25th onwards.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Looked on the poppy shop website, the badges look good value so will order mine shortly. I notice there is not a palace one, I even checked the championship page just in case they had predicted their impending relegation early........

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The 2018 appeal doesn't officially start until October 25 this year, so that's why you haven't seen any on sale yet.

My regular cafe in Portslade had them on sale on Saturday. But my weekday cafe in Worthing haven't had a visit from RBL for a few years now so they haven't had them for sale.

But in past few years I have seen fewer and fewer street sellers. No idea why that might be. I presume the old guard (WW2 vets etc) have left us for the NAAFI in the sky and the younger generation aren't so keen on standing on street corners.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
People wearing poppies appears to be like seeing Christmas trees in shops, it seems to happen earlier every year

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As we haven't got a home match for a month after Saturday I guess the club wont be able to do its usual minutes silence etc

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I always wear one but haven't seen a collection box/cadet/chealsea pensioner about yet. In fact I dont think I have seen anyone else wearing one yet either so just too early (have you just used last years to save a couple of quid?)

My 96 year old mum is outside Cronins Cafe in Portslade Old Village. Not sure what days she is there though. Will find out.

44028118_2192709490975989_5133530334507302912_n.jpg

Edit: Ok, apparently, its a bit random. Its when she feels up to it, but sure she will be there 11/11 after any ceremony going on in Brighton.

Last edited:

el punal

I've noticed hardly any poppies being worn yet.

Have I gone too early with mine, or do you think people just don't embrace this anymore?

It is a bit early in my opinion. I always choose to wear mine the week preceding the 11th of November. Having said that I would never criticise anyone wearing a poppy this early to remember those brave souls who gave their lives for their country.

Do people embrace this anymore? I remember a news clip from an American TV news channel in 2014 covering the scenes at the Tower of London where thousands of visitors were paying their respects at the field of poppies exhibition. The commentator summed it up beautifully : “No one honours their war dead like the British.”

Long may that continue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always buy mine and wear iit with pride from 1st November will do the same this year.

I could not see any advertised on Seagulls,co.uk in the club shop.

Last edited:

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
On a related subject...if anyone is in the north west, it's worth a look at the rather moving new statue outside Manchester Piccadilly stationoq]

Last edited:

Slightly off the question, but something I have often wondered.

The Armisitice to end WW1 took effect on the 11th hour of the 11th month.

In UK this means 11:00am on 11th November when our commemorations take place

But bearing in mind the war actually took place in Europe and the last shot was just outside Mons (where, incidentally, the first shot was fired, but that's another story) presumably this was 11:00 am Belgian time?

My question is, was this different to UK time?

I've been in Ypres two or three times on Armistice day and the commemoration there is 11:00 am local time, which is 10:00 am UK time.

Was there a time difference between UK and continental Europe in 1918? And if so, was the 11:00 GMT time or Europe time?

I just checked and Wikipedia says the Armistice was signed in the railway carriage at Compiegne (the same railway carriage where Hitler was to force the French to surrender in the second world war) and was to take effect at 11:00 am Paris time. But it doesn't say if Paris time was different to UK time.

So do we actually commemorate the end of WW1 one hour later than we should?

Don't get me wrong, no way am I suggeting we should change our 11:00 but I'm intrigued to know if it is correct.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
In recant years I've always worn a wrist band I can wear it in the swimming pool and I don't stick pins through my waterproofs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Slightly off the question, but something I have often wondered.

The Armisitice to end WW1 took effect on the 11th hour of the 11th month.

In UK this means 11:00am on 11th November when our commemorations take place

But bearing in mind the war actually took place in Europe and the last shot was just outside Mons (where, incidentally, the first shot was fired, but that's another story) presumably this was 11:00 am Belgian time?

My question is, was this different to UK time?

I've been in Ypres two or three times on Armistice day and the commemoration there is 11:00 am local time, which is 10:00 am UK time.

Was there a time difference between UK and continental Europe in 1918? And if so, was the 11:00 GMT time or Europe time?

I just checked and Wikipedia says the Armistice was signed in the railway carriage at Compiegne (the same railway carriage where Hitler was to force the French to surrender in the second world war) and was to take effect at 11:00 am Paris time. But it doesn't say if Paris time was different to UK time.

So do we actually commemorate the end of WW1 one hour later than we should?

Don't get me wrong, no way am I suggeting we should change our 11:00 but I'm intrigued to know if it is correct.

1916 first introduced in the UK, with the Germans using it slightly before in the same year. Not sure about the French.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here