Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Benevolent Dictatorship Manifesto

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
some time in mid 00's EU directive said we must use biofuels. they thought it would come from recycled oil (ie chip fat, residue from food procssing) or locally grown oils. the cheapest biofuel was sourced, leading to over a third of palm oil consumption burnt as fuel.

Undoubtedly the biofuel targets caused a spike in use in the EU. Now it seems they've realised the unintended consequence of their policy and tried to fix it. In terms of global usage though, palm oil for bio fuel in the EU is minimal. Indonesia alone uses 50% more palm oil than the EU.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Following the recent IPCC climate change report, is it now time to get real, accept people aren't going to change without the force of law and start a move towards benevolent dictatorships to save us all?

Manifesto pledges for starters:

AIR TRAVEL - All citizens to be issued with one air travel voucher per year, transferable. Those wishing to have more foreign holidays will have to buy vouchers from those willing to sell. This should lead to a reduction in air travel whilst those unable to afford foreign holidays, or not wanting to use their voucher, can get some income from selling their vouchers.

COMMUTING - Those living within 3 miles of their place of work/study aren't allowed to drive there without a medical certificate proving they can't walk/cycle or access public transport for the journey.

PLASTIC STRAW AND COTTON BUD BAN - No proposal to ban them....we're just going to ban them as from NOW.

PRIVATE CARS - Maximum two cars per household, no exceptions. Tax breaks for one car or no car households.

Any more pledges anyone?

Make Piers Morgan illegal and you'll get my vote :thumbsup:

Oh

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Immediate global massive tax on plastic production - and I mean huge. Would force manufactures to look at alternatives like chicken feathers for packaging. No more little plastic bags to put your bananas in at the supermarket. Paper bags or take your own. Bring back milk bottles and all that jazz. It's criminal what we are doing to the planet and ourselves. We'll all be full of plastic before you know it. Eat more fish my arse, they are riddled with micro beads. JUST STOP MAKING THE STUFF!!!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"In our obsession with antagonisms of the moment, we often forget how much unites all the members of humanity. Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world." - Ronald Reagan, 1987 speech @ the UN.

...30 years later, 20 years after the implementation of the interconnected global superbrain known as "The Web", in a small corner of the worlds greatest message board...

"Following the recent IPCC climate change report, is it now time to get real, accept people aren't going to change without the force of law and start a move towards benevolent dictatorships to save us all?"

*cue sinister Twilight Zone jingle*

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Your candour does you credit.

The problem with this approach to governance however is that it takes a great big shit on traditional democracy.

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-rule-of-law-suspended-from-eu-judicial-organization/

Once non elected Herberts from another country interfere with the workings of a democratically elected government you have problems. Not least in countries that not so long ago lived under authoritarian regimes.
Well, its not totally undemocratic, it still has to answer to national governments, it can't do whatever it likes. But because it is at an arms length from the voters - and, much more importantly, at an arms length from big business and those vested interests that plague elected officials, these governments can pursue more of what they want to achieve over a longer time frame. For the greater good, imo

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Following the recent IPCC climate change report, is it now time to get real, accept people aren't going to change without the force of law and start a move towards benevolent dictatorships to save us all?

Manifesto pledges for starters:

AIR TRAVEL - All citizens to be issued with one air travel voucher per year, transferable. Those wishing to have more foreign holidays will have to buy vouchers from those willing to sell. This should lead to a reduction in air travel whilst those unable to afford foreign holidays, or not wanting to use their voucher, can get some income from selling their vouchers.

COMMUTING - Those living within 3 miles of their place of work/study aren't allowed to drive there without a medical certificate proving they can't walk/cycle or access public transport for the journey.

PLASTIC STRAW AND COTTON BUD BAN - No proposal to ban them....we're just going to ban them as from NOW.

PRIVATE CARS - Maximum two cars per household, no exceptions. Tax breaks for one car or no car households.

Any more pledges anyone?

No thanks.

I am not prepared to have any government changing how I live my life. If this is what you want, I would suggest defecting to North Korea.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
the EU was responsible for this in the first place by mandating use of biofuels. so well done them for reversing their own idiotic policy, and prime example why shouldnt let politicans dictate such specific policy.

I remember our government reducing the duty on Diesel cars many years back as they were meant to be cleaner than petrol engines ! eventually this idiotic policy was reversed too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Immediate global massive tax on plastic production - and I mean huge. Would force manufactures to look at alternatives like chicken feathers for packaging. No more little plastic bags to put your bananas in at the supermarket. Paper bags or take your own. Bring back milk bottles and all that jazz. It's criminal what we are doing to the planet and ourselves. We'll all be full of plastic before you know it. Eat more fish my arse, they are riddled with micro beads. JUST STOP MAKING THE STUFF!!!

This. All microbeads should be banned NOW. I was staggered to see that many different brands and types of toothpaste still contain them. I never buy a toothpaste containing them and I would encourage others to leave them on the shelf.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I remember our government reducing the duty on Diesel cars many years back as they were meant to be cleaner than petrol engines ! eventually this idiotic policy was reversed too.

yep, governments do a lot of stupid things. which was the point, not which government.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Well, its not totally undemocratic, it still has to answer to national governments, it can't do whatever it likes. But because it is at an arms length from the voters - and, much more importantly, at an arms length from big business and those vested interests that plague elected officials, these governments can pursue more of what they want to achieve over a longer time frame. For the greater good, imo

It’s not often I laugh out loud when reading political posts on here but, yours achieved that!

If you think that the EU maintains an arms length distance from big business then those arms are non existent. The EU is in complete thrall to big business interests, it is fundamentally why Thatcher and the Tories took us in, and the political establishment of all hues, save the greens, wish the U.K. to remain.

If you were right then it would be the unions that hold the upper hand with the EU, but they don’t, Corbyn, Benn, Crowe, Skinner et al have long been opposed to it, for this reason amongst others including (sorry to say it) how the EU has precedence over Parliamentary sovereignty.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/08/lobbyists-european-parliament-brussels-corporate

I can’t think there are many remainers that would ever say that staying in the EU isn’t about preserving the existing economic framework, it’s why they say “people didn’t vote out to be poorer”. But they are in fact deconstructed Tories, it’s not always about the money..........they are so avaricious they just can’t understand any other perspective.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s not often I laugh out loud when reading political posts on here but, yours achieved that!

If you think that the EU maintains an arms length distance from big business then those arms are non existent. The EU is in complete thrall to big business interests, it is fundamentally why Thatcher and the Tories took us in, and the political establishment of all hues, save the greens, wish the U.K. to remain.

If you were right then it would be the unions that hold the upper hand with the EU, but they don’t, Corbyn, Benn, Crowe, Skinner et al have long been opposed to it, for this reason amongst others including (sorry to say it) how the EU has precedence over Parliamentary sovereignty.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/08/lobbyists-european-parliament-brussels-corporate

I can’t think there are many remainers that would ever say that staying in the EU isn’t about preserving the existing economic framework, it’s why they say “people didn’t vote out to be poorer”. But they are in fact deconstructed Tories, it’s not always about the money..........they are so avaricious they just can’t understand any other perspective.

Very well put.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The bizarre thing is that many Remainers think of evil Brexit as simply evil Tory/UKIP.

No matter how many times they are educated, they can't open their minds to the facts that the EU serves buiness/capitalism above all else, lowering the cost of labour, and is loathed by key trade union leaders, Corbyn and McDonnell.

Blinkered by any anti-Tory class war in their minds, unable to listen to Corbyn & friends.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Glad I lightened your day :)

I certainly didn't suggest the EU was anti-business, and I could also have added that they were at an arms length from the unions too - although I was including them in the 'vested interests' of the latter part of that sentence. The point I was making was that elected officials are heavily influenced in policy making by the need to get elected, which is in turn heavily influenced by their donors - the unions, the lobbyists, 'big-business' and so on. So while that influence is still there when it comes to the EU, it is considerably diluted for a number of reasons.

No point in re-running a hundred brexit arguments on this thread. but I think its fair to say that policy on the environment, pollution, human rights, health and safety at work is generally more advanced through EU rules than in the constituent nation's laws, even though I would argue that a large majority of the public would support those rules when considering them in isolation. I think that the contrast between what becomes law in a country and what becomes an EU regulation, comes about because the EU is far more of the 'benevolent dictator' proposed in this thread.

An example is air pollution, for which I am certain the vast majority of the British public would answer yes to the question "do you want clean air and no air pollution"? And yet the supposedly-undemocratic EU has set stricter limits than the democratic UK government ever did and has taken the UK to court over the levels of air pollution in our country. Which is the debate in a nutshell, do you value democracy over clean air?

FYI the greens fought for remain and are now pro-second referendum

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Thank God for trade union apologists, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson eh? Good to read these people have got your working-class back.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree with everything Kalimantan Gull is saying

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thank God for trade union apologists, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson eh? Good to read these people have got your working-class back.

Two entirely different groupings want full Brexit:

Those simply wanting full independence back for the UK. Across much of the political spectrum.

Those of the A.Benn, Corbyn, McDonnell, trade union leaders school of thought, who believe the EU is a club serving big business, with labour costs driven to the bottom.

Those

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here