Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] US Grand Prix

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Great win by Kimi but Mercedes should have bought in Hamilton earlier when he was 17/18 seconds ahead. He would have then been ahead of Verstappen and could have chased and passed Kimi earlier. Though with the power advantage Ferrari had would have been difficult. Actually pleased it has gone to the next race in Mexico. Tequllias all round for Hamilton and Mercedes.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not the first time Kimi has won due to bad decisions by Lewis’ team.

Chinese Grand Prix 2007.

Debut season for Lewis - leading the Championship by 12 points with 2 races to go.

This happened:

“As the track dried Hamilton began to suffer from tyre wear. With his pit stop imminent, McLaren elected to keep Hamilton out and stick to the original strategy. This turned out to be a detrimental choice, because by lap 31, Räikkönen had passed Hamilton when the latter ran wide, allowing Räikkönen to take the lead. Hamilton had to come into the pits. This should not have been a problem, however, as he would still have had enough points to secure the World Championship, had he remained in that position. However, as he entered the pit lane with his tyres worn down to the canvas, he failed to negotiate the sharp left-hander into the pits, beaching his car in the gravel. Despite marshal's efforts to get him back into the race, he suffered the first retirement of his career.”

Wiki

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football used to be two points for a win, cricket teams used to score about 30 runs in 20 overs and golfers used to average drives of 240 yards.

But I don’t see attention seekers on here polluting threads on those sports with outdated and uninformed views, particularly having admitted many times to not even watching them.

I didnt realise that the time taken had shortened by so much.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Verstappen is quality, possibly the only driver with as much natural talent as Lewis.

He didn’t outrace him today though. He had track position and he simply kept his car in the perfect place at all times to ensure Lewis had to go off line to overtake, which was never likely.

I’d love to see him challenging for a title. He’d be far more deserving of it than Vettel. But I just don’t see Honda being able to improve enough to make it happen next season.

When Hamilton retires, I'll follow Verstappen. I hope he's in the top team then, or thereabouts.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Summary of thoughts would be; Merc screwed the strategy (not for the first time), should have tried to get Hamilton out in to the gap between Kimi and Max once it was obvious his tyres were wrecked. Don't think Lewis would have made it past Kimi anyway as we saw earlier in the race the Ferrari had the straight line speed. Good to see some close and fair racing between Lewis/Kimi and the Lewis/Max. Vettel making yet another mistake. Bottas compliantly making way for Lewis but also letting Seb by way too easily.
Also watched on C4 for the first time as was at the folks who don't have Sky, my word is that commentator annoying. Made it sound like Hamilton not winning the championship was the end of the world when in reality he still outscored his nearest rival and now only needs 5 points from 3 races.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Me too, although I think Lewis has still got two more years at Mercedes and two years at Ferrari in him.

It’s incredible to think that MV has only just turned 21. He’s still younger than Lewis was when he started. Unless Honda actually show they can deliver a winning engine, he needs to start thinking about getting himself into the right seat for 2021. If he doesn’t end up with at least three championships something has gone wrong.

The latest Honda engine apparently has about 40 ps more than the Renault in Verstappen's car,so in an Adrian Newey chassis,should be a Merc beater.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here