Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bong knockers

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
He certainly divides opinion, that's for sure!

I see flashes of brilliance from him off the ball with his tactical positioning, where you think "where's he going??!!" and then bam, he block a very dangerous pass or cross and the attacking player is bemused as to how he did that. He's clearly got a good brain on him.

However, said brain has a tendency to switch off - which is where people get frustrated with him. Maybe people can see he's good, and he's letting himself down - whereas when a player makes a mistake and it's just down to lack of ability, they let it go?

At the end of the day though, CH has probably forgotten more than I know about football - so you have to trust his judgement.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Every time I watch him and I think I notice it more on the telly than live is his desicion making. Often when a simple pass is on he is like a rabbit in headlights. He’s not a bad footballer at all but it’s a harsh game. You get replaced with better players that’s just how it works. We’ve already tried it with Sutner and Bernardo so he must know the writing is on the wall. Hopefully Bernardo will get his chance in the position we bought him in for like the 10 mins or so he got in the Watford game before Bruno went off and he had to switch to right back to accommodate (ironically) Bong.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Ever since the Amex we have struggled to solve the Leftback issue. Under CH we have signed Bong, Pocognoli, Suttner & Bernardo. CH is clearly looking for additional attributes to his left back yet every time he brings in a replacement he reverts back to Bong who in my opinion does the basics of what CH is looking for the best.

I do expect Bernardo to claim the spot but Bong is doing a fine job

Except for Wayne Bridge, who was quality!

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
We've got the bong
we've got the bo-ong
whose got the lighter?
cause we've got the Bong !

sorry about that, sunday morning hang over back to bed I think:blush:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
You clearly have never been to watch Brighton for the last 4 years if you think that Bong offers nothing going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I like bong.

And I think we should all support him as he goes through his transition. :D

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You clearly have never been to watch Brighton for the last 4 years if you think that Bong offers nothing going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been watching for 10 times that period and I in my opinion Bong offers absolutely nothing going forward. He can't cross and when a pass is on to a player forward he dithers so the opportunity is lost. Last season he hardly ever played a ball forward to Isquierdo that wasn't less than about 10 yrds. His main strength is his tackling for which I believe, but haven't seen the source, he ranks very high but it's the rest of his game that is poor. His positioning is not brilliant but his pace sometimes allows him to recover from that. We got lucky yesterday.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You know nothing about football.

He had a bad game defensively at Newcastle, but he's one of the best left backs outside the top six.

So which PL left backs outside the top six is he better than?

I'd pick Ward, Baines, Chilwell, Bertrand to name four that I would put ahead of him and I'm sure there are others.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yesterday's stats according to Fotmob.

Gaeten Bong lost possession the most times (5) in the match.

Rating 5.5
Accurate passes 15
Pass success 75%
Crosses 2
Long Balls 5
Accurate long balls 1
Key passes 0
Touches 54
Duels 8
Won 2
Lost 6
Clearances 2
Dribbles attempted 1
Dribbles succeeded 0
Dispossessed 5
Was fouled 1
Fouls 0
Tackles attempted 1
Tackles succeeded 1

Doesn't sound great to me...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Rating 5.5
Accurate passes 15
Pass success 75%
Crosses 2
Long Balls 5
Accurate long balls 1
Key passes 0
Touches 54
Duels 8
Won 2
Lost 6
Clearances 2
Dribbles attempted 1
Dribbles succeeded 0
Dispossessed 5
Was fouled 1
Fouls 0
Tackles attempted 1
Tackles succeeded 1

Stats seem to more or less reflect what I saw yesterday.......he didn't have the best of games (and I'm a fan of his). On the plus side, he's rarely simply 'beaten', he's pacy and very good at jockeying players away from goal/danger, but his passing is often woeful and his crossing is consistently crap. He seemed to be getting caught in possession more than usual yesterday too.

Interestingly his pass success % is better than the team overall yesterday, so a few of them must have absolutely shitehouse stats.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Gaetan (not "Bong"...) is currently by far my favourite player and the one I want to do best.

Dress it up anyway you want but the negativity against an Albion player when we are in just about the best period in our club's history is simply ridiculous!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And that my friends is the bottom line......Hughton believes he's the best choice left back we have.....therefore...he is the best choice left back we have!

That about sums it up for me too. Mr Hughton has some experience in this area!!!!!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I've been watching for 10 times that period and I in my opinion Bong offers absolutely nothing going forward. He can't cross and when a pass is on to a player forward he dithers so the opportunity is lost. Last season he hardly ever played a ball forward to Isquierdo that wasn't less than about 10 yrds. His main strength is his tackling for which I believe, but haven't seen the source, he ranks very high but it's the rest of his game that is poor. His positioning is not brilliant but his pace sometimes allows him to recover from that. We got lucky yesterday.

you are bang on. Someone said he's the best left back outside the top 6. I burst out laughing.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Gaetan (not "Bong"...) is currently by far my favourite player and the one I want to do best.

Dress it up anyway you want but the negativity against an Albion player when we are in just about the best period in our club's history is simply ridiculous!

Why should we not be talking about areas we could improve? We’re not plucky little Brighton any more and just because were enjoying an amazing time, doesn’t mean we all sit about waiting for it all to go tits up. I’ve never looked but could guarantee you there are threads on Man City, Liverpool, probably even Barcelona forums where fans talk about getting better players in for certain positions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Counter intuitively, I like Bong pushed well up, supporting our winger. An aggressive tactic used succesfully for long spells against Manure & WHU. It also makes his rash fouls in dangerous locations, less likely.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Rating 5.5
Accurate passes 15
Pass success 75%
Crosses 2
Long Balls 5
Accurate long balls 1
Key passes 0
Touches 54
Duels 8
Won 2
Lost 6
Clearances 2
Dribbles attempted 1
Dribbles succeeded 0
Dispossessed 5
Was fouled 1
Fouls 0
Tackles attempted 1
Tackles succeeded 1

Stats seem to more or less reflect what I saw yesterday.......he didn't have the best of games (and I'm a fan of his). On the plus side, he's rarely simply 'beaten', he's pacy and very good at jockeying players away from goal/danger, but his passing is often woeful and his crossing is consistently crap. He seemed to be getting caught in possession more than usual yesterday too.

Interestingly his pass success % is better than the team overall yesterday, so a few of them must have absolutely shitehouse stats.

His pass rate at 75% is better than the team overall and you think his passing is often woeful. How does that work?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here