Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bong knockers

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Disagree. What AK and March have to do (final ball, beat a man, score etc) is far harder to do than what Bong is struggling to do i.e. kick the ball with his weaker foot, sort his feet out, cross a ball, put off their attacker at crosses. In fact, AK is starting to do this more often (not so much March but he gets some slack too. Agree about Bissouma but he's young and has just joined the team instead of Bong who's been playing here for four years. I'm not expecting Bong to play like Roberto Carlos, I am hoping he stops these errors.

If we were being even handed we'd call out our hope for many of them to stop errors, with maybe a few exceptions, or make better decisions on the ball. The thread would probably rumble on with debate about the exceptions. I guess I'm fairly philosophical about this and CH's decisions on playing the best hand he has at the time. If we had the money I'd hope we would buy better players across many of the positions. Until then I'm both pleasantly surprised by how some of the players perform in the PL and think I should have had more faith, and at times I worry that we are seeing some of them at their best, but delighted every time we seem to get away with it and I think that's because it isn't about the individual players, it's the collective team. I still don't understand why focussing on Bong errors makes the boat go faster. Happy to see him in the starting 11 until CH selects someone better to do the job, but it's about opinions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a bizarre thing to say, you take issue with a player just because other people hold them in high esteem!? That is almost as faintly ridiculous as your Hughton thread.

No, I take issue with Bong because I don't think he offers much to the team. Can't attack effectively and I don't think, unlike others that he gets into great positions when defending. The point I was making was that Bong threads seem to go on longer than others because his fan club seem to think he's the best thing since sliced bread so the rest of us spend our free time pointing out that he is far from that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, I take issue with Bong because I don't think he offers much to the team. Can't attack effectively and I don't think, unlike others that he gets into great positions when defending. The point I was making was that Bong threads seem to go on longer than others because his fan club seem to think he's the best thing since sliced bread so the rest of us spend our free time pointing out that he is far from that.

His fan club wouldn't exist if there weren't comments like yours to be fair.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Now that is an odd comment. Every player has his fans but most can see their idol's weaknesses as well as it is about them they like.

It’s not odd at all in the context of what you’ve posted previously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Completely with you on this. Bong is the high rent version of Kerry Mayo for me. We bring in player after player to oust him, but each and every time, Bong beats them out, and holds down teh left back slot. That's not done by chance, it's because he is a good player, and done a good job for the team.

Sadly, no matter how we play, where we are in whatever division, there will always be someone who the fans get on the back of. Currently that player is Bong, and some of the views on him are as inaccurate and unfair as previous views of Ashley Barnes were.

This.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a bizarre thing to say, you take issue with a player just because other people hold them in high esteem!? That is almost as faintly ridiculous as your Hughton thread.

*cough* jock *cough*

No idea about anything. Fact.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I get irritated by people who slate Gaetan, pretty much week in and week out. My point is that, in my opinion, his strength lies in his positioning and making it difficult for opponents to get in a viable shot on goal by using clever angles or pushing them wide. Take look at a couple of stats from our last two wins:

West Ham. Shots 17. On target 4.
Newcastle. Shots 27. On target 6.

This isn't all down to the blocks of Dunk and Duffy or the silky skills of Bruno. If Bong is the weakness some would say, we wouldn't see these remarkable stats that lead opposing managers to think that, despite losing, their team was the better side as Rafa and Pellegrini both claimed. He's an integral, clever player in a disciplined back four.

Wolves. Shots 25. On target 7. This week, clearly no weaknesses at the back. Dunk'n Duffy, Bruno Bong and magnificent Maty.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wolves. Shots 25. On target 7. This week, clearly no weaknesses at the back. Dunk'n Duffy, Bruno Bong and magnificent Maty.

Almost identical to Newcastle last week.......but Wolves looked far more threatening to me. Their chances were much better ones and Ryan had more to do.

Fantastic performances from the back 5 to keep out 50-odd attempts in 2 games.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
He'll be replaced come end of the season, Then all the numpties can find another weak player to shout about.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He'll be replaced come end of the season, Then all the numpties can find another weak player to shout about.

Will he? We have three left backs on the books and Bong's preferred to all of them. Yes, there are better left backs in the PL but can Albion find any better with their budget? He had a good game yesterday, I don't see him being replaced any time soon

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Bong did OK yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Part of the reason I and a fair few others take issue about Bong is the unwarranted high esteem that his fans seem to hold him. Stephens gets flack for mistakes but no one on the other side of the coin claims he is the best defensive midfielder after Kante!

Hence this thread???.... :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the WSU yesterday, I heard three different numpties having a go at Bong when it was Izquirdo who was the player involved at the time.:nono:

To be fair, it is hard to tell them apart.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here