Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes. But I think you know and they know , that shorthand for saying the tongue got in the way of his breathing when he was knocked out.

But they should also know that the medical profession, first aid training and everyone else campaigns for dropping the term because it leads to people sticking their fingers in people's mouths or other objects in the false belief that someone has actually swallowed their tongue, rather than knowing that the tongue has actually just gone limp and all you need to do is tilt the head back while bringing the chin up. It is shorthand that has led to many bodged attempts at first aid.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But they should also know that the medical profession, first aid training and everyone else campaigns for dropping the term because it leads to people sticking their fingers in people's mouths or other objects in the false belief that someone has actually swallowed their tongue, rather than knowing that the tongue has actually just gone limp and all you need to do is tilt the head back while bringing the chin up. It is shorthand that has led to many bodged attempts at first aid.

Well i've no idea if they know or not. I guess they are just reporting what they've been told in good faith. In this case by, i guess, Paul Barber.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I must say, I was pretty annoyed with the stretcher bearers just ambling on when everyone on the pitch was urging them to hurry up. Kayal (i think) just went and grabbed it in the end. Surely they're better trained than this?

Since when has a stretcher been a life saving piece of equipment

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009

Couldn't agree more. I did wander whether players receive basic first aid training on this - although with the medical staff on call I suppose its best to leave it to the professionals. As a grassroots coach I've completed the necessary course, just hope I never have to apply any of my learnings.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The problem with tilting the head back when someone has just fallen awkwardly, is that they may have done damage to their neck when they fell.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think he's referring to the fact that it's medically impossible to swallow your tongue. It is bad journalism to be fair, but not especially funny.

And as i've said earlier in the thread, then i think we know what is meant by it. (regardless of whether it should be phrased differently, impact on emergency aid training etc) . And agreed its not funny.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The problem with tilting the head back when someone has just fallen awkwardly, is that they may have done damage to their neck when they fell.

Obviously you have established they are not breathing before proceeding, and if they are breathing, then you can be cautious in not moving the person until proper help arrives and a qualified person can make an assessment because their life is not under threat at that point.

If they are not breathing however, then compounding a spinal or neck injury is a secondary issue because if you don't act fast they will almost certainly die. It's as simple as that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Since when has a stretcher been a life saving piece of equipment

Yes - but as I posted earlier, strolling on when all the players are that agitated simply doesn't create a very good impression. Whether it was useful or not. However, in some circumstances, the quicker they get there, the quicker the injured gets off the pitch into an ambulance, and the quicker they get to hospital. It all depends on what the issue is, and none of us in the ground knew.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Is it possible that concussion could cause some kind of cranial realignment whereby once you recover, you can run faster? Or turn a defender and shoot before having a sit down, fingers crossed for a free kick? ;-)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think he's referring to the fact that it's medically impossible to swallow your tongue. It is bad journalism to be fair, but not especially funny.

I was once told the same about ‘slipped disc’ - there’s not actually such a thing?!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Does the tongue not roll over backwards and block the airway?
I recall an epileptic fit on the playground at school once and someone came running out with a spoon to hold his tongue down . . . This was about 1979!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does the tongue not roll over backwards and block the airway?
I recall an epileptic fit on the playground at school once and someone came running out with a spoon to hold his tongue down . . . This was about 1979!

Exactly what you shouldn't do! Exactly the reason people don't want to use the term swallowing your tongue because people end up putting things like spoons in people's mouths. Honestly, putting a metal object into someone's mouth while they're having a fit or siezure, madness really.

Anyone witnessing someone having a fit and someone else is trying to put something in their mouth, PLEASE STOP THEM! Best thing you can do is roll them onto their side, get a cushion for their head, and make sure they're safe and can't injure themselves on anything nearby, don't try to stop or restrain them either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here