Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Newcastle v Brighton

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: St James' Park
Date: Saturday 20th October 2018
Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West
Fourth official: Tony Harrington

TEAM NEWS

Newcastle are assessing several players including Salomon Rondon and Paul Dummett, both of whom missed games prior to the international break.

Ciaran Clark suffered a thigh injury during training with the Republic of Ireland midweek and is a major doubt.

Brighton will be without Davy Propper for several weeks due to the ankle problem he picked up against West Ham.

Pascal Gross could return from a similar issue, but Dale Stephens and Gaetan Bong are both doubts.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: This is huge for winless Newcastle.

Finally take three points, and they can reflect on tough early fixtures whilst looking ahead with optimism.

Lose, and a rotten mood could be paired with the smell of a rot setting in.

They must start with the same verve that took them into a two-goal lead at Manchester United, and then keep the momentum that went against them there.

Brighton can be cooler with their approach, in accordance with Chris Hughton's sanguine take on their poor away record.

Beneath the calm exterior though, there'll surely be a strong desire to get one over the owner of the club he led back to the Premier League before being sacked far too soon afterwards.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez: "The first win is always the most difficult. As soon as we win we will have more confidence and it will be easier.

"The fans have something to prove - to prove Bruno (Brighton's captain) wrong, that they will not turn [against the team]. They care and they know the players care. One of our strengths is our fans."

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton: "We've given the players some time off - and we went into the break on the back of a good win.

"It's been a nice feel this week but now it's back to business at the weekend. The game will be another tough away match for us - we know it's a challenge to do better away from home."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Newcastle have won only two of their past 10 league and cup matches against Brighton (D3, L5).
    [*=left]However, Brighton have only scored once in their last five league away fixtures at Newcastle, which came in a 1-0 second tier win in March 1992.
Newcastle

• [*=left]Newcastle's tally of two points is their lowest after eight games of a top-flight campaign.
    [*=left]They failed to win any of their opening 10 fixtures in 1898-99 but had three points after eight games.
    [*=left]Newcastle have lost all four home league matches this term, conceding two goals in each.
    [*=left]Only three teams in English top-flight history have lost their first five home league games of a season: Manchester United in 1930-31, Portsmouth in 2009-10 and Bolton in 2011-12.
    [*=left]Newcastle have won only one of their last 14 fixtures in all competitions (D2, L11).
Brighton

• [*=left]With eight points from eight games, Brighton have exactly the record as they did at this stage of last season (W2, D2, L4).
    [*=left]Brighton are winless in their last 17 away league games, scoring just seven goals during that run.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have trailed at half-time in a league-high six matches this campaign.
    [*=left]Chris Hughton is yet to win at St. James' Park as an away manager in four attempts (D1, L3). He was Newcastle boss between October 2009 and December 2010.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray is the five-goal top-scoring player aged 33 and over in Europe's major leagues - a group that contains Cristiano Ronaldo.
    [*=left]The next goal scored by Murray will be his 100th for Brighton.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Brighton are winless in their last 17 away league games, scoring just seven goals during that run.

Winless and a goal drought. :(

Can't see that being overturned today. Unless we go at them from the off, throw caution to the wind. They are an injured beast.

But will we gift them? Who knows :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bad fan as engineering work has scuppered this one, Worthing Borough v Sovereign Saints at Woodside for me

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Similar thoughts from a Newcastle fan! If only fans were in charge of tactics todays game would be end to end attacking fun!!

View attachment 101436

Back to the Kevin Keegan school of thought - "Don't worry about defending lads, just make sure we score loads"

I was in Newcastle years ago for a court case when there was a Newcastle v Liverpool (?) game which ended 4-4 - never seen such a bonkers game or a bonkers set of supporters.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thing about record breaking runs without an away win is that they all come to an end sometime. Today would be nice. Would settle for a point now though, if offered - sadly, I fear that may well be what the team will be set up to do (and not quite succeed).

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
expecting a cagey affair today , might even be as bad as last seasons 0-0 ... dont see many goals as both teams will be scared of losing more than they are confident of winning , still an Albion 1 niller would do me for now.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
A point would be great, three would be brilliant. A big game and one not to lose. Come on The Albion, up and at 'em!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see this one as the same free hit we have v City only in reverse.

Assume we'll win, take the draw, be amazed if we lose.

Even a narrow defeat isn't the end of the world what with it being away to Newcastle, a team capable of winning a fair few games this season.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Newcastle are tipped, by every single pundit, to win today based on their performance against Man U. It's practically nailed on home win. For that reason and the fact that CH will be treating this fixture as a must not lose im taking a punt on draw / narrow away win.

Newcastle will come at us and will run into a solid defense leaving gaps behind to exploit. They have to have a good go as it's getting pretty desperate for the toon...we just need to be disciplined and intelligent. Pretty confident that we are being undervalued. That plays straight to our advantage.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
Newcastle are tipped, by every single pundit, to win today based on their performance against Man U. It's practically nailed on home win. For that reason and the fact that CH will be treating this fixture as a must not lose im taking a punt on draw / narrow away win.

Newcastle will come at us and will run into a solid defense leaving gaps behind to exploit. They have to have a good go as it's getting pretty desperate for the toon...we just need to be disciplined and intelligent. Pretty confident that we are being undervalued. That plays straight to our advantage.

I agree, The Newcastle supporters I work with are mostly saying that they expect us to be beaten by at least 2 or 3 goals. I hope that they are seriously under estimating us.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Back to the Kevin Keegan school of thought - "Don't worry about defending lads, just make sure we score loads"

I was in Newcastle years ago for a court case when there was a Newcastle v Liverpool (?) game which ended 4-4 - never seen such a bonkers game or a bonkers set of supporters.

Arsenal,when Newcastle came back from 4-0?

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
expecting a cagey affair today, might even be as bad as last seasons 0-0

Sadly, I think you’re spot on here.

A huge amount of pressure from media & fans on the toon to smash us to bits; I don’t think they’ll show up today. Combined with CH’s cautious approach to sway games, it’s all set for both teams to cancel each other out.

We were actually quite good last season in this fixture but just didn’t commit the amount of men forward to gamble on victory. I suspect the same approach today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here