Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Do You Dine on Swine? Do You Dig the Pig?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're right, there are quite a few places and they're still at it now, all trying to outdo eachother. The best ones dip both cut sides of the roll/bap first in to the pork fat, then in to the gravy. They're not big fans of apple sauce up there. There's a sign in the window of one of the Hillsborough shops claiming 'All Our Pigs Are Walked To Slaughter'. Apparently if the pigs walk in to an abattoir they've walked past hundreds of times they are less afraid, there's less adrenaline present in their blood, and the meat stays tender.
If only they could learn to happily skip in, on their hind legs and holding trotters, eh? Now that would be delicious!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I love meat.
Pork however is my least favourite. Strange though, as I love bacon and gammon

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Gammon cooked in coke... been recommended to me by countless people, but the thought of it sounds a bit unappealing. Can anyone vouch for this?

Its delicious, my fav way of doing a gammon.
That was until a few years back when i was introduced to using cherry coke instead of coke.......it raises it to a whole new level, and no it doesnt make the ham too sweet.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love meat.
Pork however is my least favourite. Strange though, as I love bacon and gammon

I’m with you on that, a several hour smoked pork joint is a fabulous thing, but my favourite is a steak or beef brisket.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You're right, there are quite a few places and they're still at it now, all trying to outdo eachother. The best ones dip both cut sides of the roll/bap first in to the pork fat, then in to the gravy. They're not big fans of apple sauce up there. There's a sign in the window of one of the Hillsborough shops claiming 'All Our Pigs Are Walked To Slaughter'. Apparently if the pigs walk in to an abattoir they've walked past hundreds of times they are less afraid, there's less adrenaline present in their blood, and the meat stays tender.
I think those signs are more about the Wednesday/United thing of calling each other pigs. [emoji23]

You're right though, you can get some superb pork sandwiches in Sheffield.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For the perfect , and I mean PERFECT crackling: Before cooking ,crosshatch the top fat with a very sharp knife to a depth of a third of the fat the pour a kettle of boiling water over it. Salt and whack in the oven. At end of cooking , the whole lot will lift off and go under the grill. Heaven.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Pigs eat shit. First meat I stopped eating after seeing them hoovering up cow shit in India like they were truffles.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another top tip for crackling. Pour a whole kettle of boiling water over the skin before it goes in the oven. Works every time for me.

Roasted Figs??!! Need more information.....?

My wife's idea. I prefer a proper apple sauce. Started off by just cutting in half and putting in the oven with the spuds for about the last 25 mins but have since experimented by mixing them with a little balsamic and salt, though cooking separately, based on this https://www.momskitchenhandbook.com/recipes/pork-tenderloin-with-roasted-figs/

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Many years ago I went on holiday to Kos (Kardemena) on the walk down to the beach we passed a restaurant that had a widow in the wall with a pig spinning around over hot coals in it.
Must try that later I mused, so I did, and it was the most succulent, tender and delicious pork I have ever had with cracking crackling.
Long time ago but never forgotten it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Pigs eat shit. First meat I stopped eating after seeing them hoovering up cow shit in India like they were truffles.

Friend of mine was both a confirmed meat eater and son of a pig farmer. Only meat he would not touch was pork, 'have you seen what they eat?' was his reasoning. Personally I love a bit of bacon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

That’s in India. You ****ing moron. Also cow shit is very organic and clean because cows just graze. You don’t know what you are talking about. Idiot.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
That’s in India. You ****ing moron. Also cow shit is very organic and clean because cows just graze. You don’t know what you are talking about. Idiot.

Shit! You mean they only eat shit in India? Really? Bollocks! All these years missing pork because I thought all pigs were the same. Bloody racist too by the looks of it.

I'll go down the road and get a bacon sarnie and spread some lovely cow dung on it whilst I'l at it. Yum!

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Do as the Spanish do,:flypig: eat everything except the 'oink'. They waste nothing.

Another recipe for figs & pork......slit the figs from the top, add a slice of goats cheese, grill on medium grill for 6-8 mins, sprinkle with crispy, smoked bacon pieces & enjoy.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Do as the Spanish do,:flypig: eat everything except the 'oink'. They waste nothing.

Another recipe for figs & pork......slit the figs from the top, add a slice of goats cheese, grill on medium grill for 6-8 mins, sprinkle with crispy, smoked bacon pieces & enjoy.

Holy cack that sounds delicious!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Slow roast belly.

Incidentally, I get
inflamed finger joints after eating any cured meats with nitrates. Includes bacon and salami especially. Bit of a bugger. Anyone else get this? It isn't recognised as a 'thing'. It should be.

They sound delicious.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
26 years ago, at Eccleshall Road Butchers in Sheffield, I had the best pork sandwich ever. Until today at The Piggery in Broadwater when a Porcine Epiphany occurred. The Hog Roast Bap is a thing to behold. Lovely soft bread, pulled slow roast pork, crunchy crackling, stuffing, apple sauce, gravy, £4.50.

My life is complete.

Anyone else have a tasty pork story, or a culinary epiphany to share?

its a great little spot isn't it....!! bet the kitchen at the broadwater have hung their pots up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here