Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drivers could have to give way to cyclists under Highway Code shake-up

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Well, hopefully the government will have a fund raiser by licensing cyclists and bicycles, and UK insurers will get a post brexit boost by insuring all our millions of cyclists. They may then perhaps enforce that old rule that says you don’t go through red lights and raise billions!

This would be superb. I've seen two go through red lights already this week and we're only at Wednesday. Utter madness.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In a one square mile across town like Brighton, cyclists and pedestrians and buses should ALWAYS take priority over private motorists. If motorists journeys are that essential to them, then simply introduce a trivial congestion charge and see the numbers shrink massively (in exactly the same way as the introduction of the 5p charge for supermarket bags) as bennies are suddenly forced to think about their journey before just jumping in their car for no good reason at all.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Like they're supposed to you mean?

Cyclists are allowed to cycle two abreast, Rule 66 states you should never cycle more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads.

Which is what I was on about, without making it clear i understand that, but it is all about common sense which car and cyclist users can both be devoid of I grant you.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, hopefully the government will have a fund raiser by licensing cyclists and bicycles, and UK insurers will get a post brexit boost by insuring all our millions of cyclists. They may then perhaps enforce that old rule that says you don’t go through red lights and raise billions!

This is such a good idea... cyclist licenses with points system... they would all be fined / banned off the road with weeks, or would actually have to finally follow the highway code...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In a one square mile across town like Brighton, cyclists and pedestrians and buses should ALWAYS take priority over private motorists. If motorists journeys are that essential to them, then simply introduce a trivial congestion charge and see the numbers shrink massively (in exactly the same way as the introduction of the 5p charge for supermarket bags) as bennies are suddenly forced to think about their journey before just jumping in their car for no good reason at all.

Great... and then licence cyclists, penalize the cyclist majority, who constantly break the rules, and actually make a difference to road safety...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Today I drove a fair distance and didn't kill one cyclist.

Who do I return my license too?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Are you sure, not one!!?? Come on, be realistic... I'm surprised there are any cyclists left on here to post, such is the constant poor treatment they receive from car drivers...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Great... and then licence cyclists, penalize the cyclist majority, who constantly break the rules, and actually make a difference to road safety...

Yup, totally agree with that. A significant number of cyclists act like they're about five years old and that rules of the road are a silly adult thing that don't apply to them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So you're going to license thousands of kids that cycle to school or to their mates etc. Great plan. Have you thought about running for being your local MP?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you're going to license thousands of kids that cycle to school or to their mates etc. Great plan. Have you thought about running for being your local MP?

Doesn't Timmy already have the anti cyclist vote locked up?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Cyclists can **** off. And then **** off again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

The grammar police.

Once you've proved you know it's meant to be a c and just one o, then you can have your licence back.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cyclists can **** off. And then **** off again.

So can you you ****ing ****.

Oooh, it's quite fun isn't it. I see why you do it now :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cyclists are allowed to cycle two abreast, Rule 66 states you should never cycle more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads.

Which is what I was on about, without making it clear i understand that, but it is all about common sense which car and cyclist users can both be devoid of I grant you.

Not quite.

[tweet]965188904956628992[/tweet]

In fact the whole conversation can be read here: https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/885778061752487936

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
As with all things, a small percentage of both motorists and cyclist are total bells. The majority of both groups are decent, considerate road users. What people do need to remember is much of the Highway Code is not law, including the passing distance between a vehicle and a cyclist. However, if the motorist caused an incident by passing too close to a cyclist, the Highway Code can be used in evidence under the Road Traffic Act to establish liability, therefore the motorist would probably be fu@ked!!

The easiest thing to do would be for both the cyclist and the motorist to both avoid hitting each other but as a regular M25 commuter, some car drivers have enough difficulty driving their cars in a simple straight line without hitting something so I don't hold out much hope!!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Waiting here with my popcorn for all the "cyclists can f*** off" replies....
After the amount of drivers who have been totally oblivious when turning in front of / cutting me up the last few days (three of them today just in my short ride at lunchtime!), I reckon we need something done.
Tolerance & awareness towards riders first and foremost![/QUOTE

No drivers have done this.

Why do people look for attention or make stuff up?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Waiting here with my popcorn for all the "cyclists can f*** off" replies....
After the amount of drivers who have been totally oblivious when turning in front of / cutting me up the last few days (three of them today just in my short ride at lunchtime!), I reckon we need something done.
Tolerance & awareness towards riders first and foremost!

No drivers have done this.

Why do people look for attention or make stuff up?

Lorry driver arrested following another fatal collision involving more than one cyclist

https://road.cc/content/news/250541...ng-another-fatal-collision-involving-more-one

It’s the second fatal crash involving more than one cyclist this week, with a 14-year-old boy killed and two 15-year-old boys injured on Monday evening when they were reportedly hit head-on by a van driver in Leeds who was overtaking another vehicle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here