Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drivers could have to give way to cyclists under Highway Code shake-up

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Waiting here with my popcorn for all the "cyclists can f*** off" replies....
After the amount of drivers who have been totally oblivious when turning in front of / cutting me up the last few days (three of them today just in my short ride at lunchtime!), I reckon we need something done.
Tolerance & awareness towards riders first and foremost!

Cyclists can **** off...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How come in some European countries the vast majority of people walk to the designated crossing point and wait for lights before they cross, I guess they have more zebra crossings on nearly every junction which in its self notifies everyone this is a crossing point everybody stop look listen (electric cars could be a problem with the listen bit)

To be fair, I think our crossings work far better than in a lot of countries. In France/Spain/Portugal you quite often still have moving traffic when there's a green man, whcih can be very confusing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
To be fair, I think our crossings work far better than in a lot of countries. In France/Spain/Portugal you quite often still have moving traffic when there's a green man, whcih can be very confusing.

I much prefer the UK system to the North American one. Drivers turning right across a pedestrian crossing is such a stupid rule. The amount of times you step out to cross the street and a car (usually a taxi) turns in front of you :rant:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the Dutch idea for opening the car door is an excellent idea,and a life-saver that should be widely advertised,like 'Think Bike'.

Have you tired it though, it is very easy to open the drivers door with your left hand without having to look for passing traffic

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Where do you think it came from?

Anyway, it doesn't effect us, it's the rest of you that'll need retraining in driving and The Dutch Reach technique.

I personally don't like your cyclist agenda. Always blaming car drivers ffs.
However the dutch reach technique makes complete sense and I would be happy to see it made compulsory over here.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why? To keep it away from the sight of non-cyclists? Seems a bit pointless.

Besides, I can't see that it makes much difference. If I am cycling along and the vehicle behind me wants to turn left they have to decide whether they've got room/time to overtake and then turn left, or wait and turn left behind me. They aren't allowed now to just turn left and knock me off my bike if I happen to be in their way.

That Dutch idea about open car doors is a good one though.

This is true... obviously not going to just mow down the cyclist...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Will cyclists now stop at red lights as part of this 'shake-up'?

Cyclists to actually follow the code... now that would be a good step forward...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I personally don't like your cyclist agenda. Always blaming car drivers ffs.
However the dutch reach technique makes complete sense and I would be happy to see it made compulsory over here.

Odd, as I don't blame car drivers at all.
I am just pro-cycling esp when it comes to urban transportation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Will cyclists now stop at red lights as part of this 'shake-up'?

Cyclists to actually follow the code... now that would be a good step forward...

Will drivers stop at red lights?

At the 'Homebase' junction on the Old Shoreham Road this morning, westbound, I watched 6 cars in the one go jump a red (not amber) light.

Why the arrogance to commit such a dangerous criminal offence? All to get to their destination 90 seconds earlier.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

At the 'Homebase' junction on the Old Shoreham Road this morning, westbound, I watched 6 cars in the one go jump a red (not amber) light.

Why the arrogance to commit such a dangerous criminal offence? All to get to their destination 90 seconds earlier.
They're not getting to their destination though, they are just getting to the next hold up, behind the same car in front, and in front of the same car behind.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
They're not getting to their destination though, they are just getting to the next hold up, behind the same car in front, and in front of the same car behind.

It always amazes me how they try and kill you, then for them to be held up again as you say. I’d like a cycling jersey with a photo of my kids printed on the back with the words ”I’d like to see them again today” printed on the back. You never know it might make them think I’m human after all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It always amazes me how they try and kill you, then for them to be held up again as you say. I’d like a cycling jersey with a photo of my kids printed on the back with the words ”I’d like to see them again today” printed on the back. You never know it might make them think I’m human after all.

I'd say I get some form of harassment 3 or 4 times a year, that's all.
As said I always try and be a courteous rider, after all I'm the one that'll be deaded.

At that moment, assuming I'm not at fault, the red mist descends and I think 'this isn't over yet'.
Invariably I am able to catch the car up, making the issue in the first place completely pointless.
Nothing has changed, they are still in the same traffic, I am still on the road, only now we're 1/4 further on and I'm somewhat pooped. :lol:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'd say I get some form of harassment 3 or 4 times a year, that's all.
As said I always try and be a courteous rider, after all I'm the one that'll be deaded.

At that moment, assuming I'm not at fault, the red mist descends and I think 'this isn't over yet'.
Invariably I am able to catch the car up, making the issue in the first place completely pointless.
Nothing has changed, they are still in the same traffic, I am still on the road, only now we're 1/4 further on and I'm somewhat pooped. :lol:

They’d probably prefer a bullseye target on my back. :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Hmmm... so 99.9% of cyclists run reds, but you pickup on 1 example of cars doing it... right...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Cyclists can **** off...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So I guess when they cross the road from one pavement to another, motorists would have to give way to them!

No, just mow them down...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've been scootering over 30 years . . . . but only bothered doing my full test a few years ago ( long story) the whole door thing is merely common sense, it was the only comment I got from my examiner after my test, you need to give more space to the parked cars . . . cyclists should do the same by default. In a car I always open the door an inch, then look before opening fully . . . cyclists ofter appear from no where, weaving in and out of parked cars, or hurtling off pavements on to the road etc.

I was joshing...

Cyclists don't bother me unless they ride two abreast or don't adhere to the same stop at lights etc etc, being an ex scooter boy and being involved in several crashes due to inconsiderate car drivers, I take great care in looking out for bikes with or without a motor.

What I find hard sometimes is say your turning right or left into a side road from the main road, and a car stops to let you turn, I slowly edge into the turn and sometimes people pap you getting angry because you font just turn straight in, however then a cyclist shoots through on the inside of the car that has let you turn, so edging into the turn saves a collision. I am surprised how many cyclist just zoom along without realising hang on that car has stopped and the reason why.

It is all common sense, which we all need to do is take time to look before we do things on the road as you say especially the dutch door idea.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've had a bus run a red on me . . . .I was doing 30 mph . . . . empty road, lights red 200m ahead and changed to orange then green . . .I kept going and a bus hurtled out from the left, must have run the red 3 or 4 seconds after it went red.

Hmmm... so 99.9% of cyclists run reds, but you pickup on 1 example of cars doing it... right...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I've been scootering over 30 years . . . . but only bothered doing my full test a few years ago ( long story) the whole door thing is merely common sense, it was the only comment I got from my examiner after my test, you need to give more space to the parked cars . . . cyclists should do the same by default. In a car I always open the door an inch, then look before opening fully . . . cyclists ofter appear from no where, weaving in and out of parked cars, or hurtling off pavements on to the road etc.

I had a crash on holloway road in Islington a few years ago, we turned left into a side road and a young lady on a scooter shot up on the inside jumping a red light and hit me coming off.
She immediately got up and i got out of the car to check on her, she said she was fine, bloke behind me got out and said he saw her jump the lights and under take.

She then decided to lie down again on the floor, crying, we called an ambulance and the old bill turned up, she claimed she could not speak english or move......

I get delayed reactions and pain, but she was clearly in the wrong knew it, so played the poor I know nothing card.

Not sure how the insurance thing panned out, I know she was claiming it was my fault, but I never heard a pip out of the insurance, there was no damage to my car.

When she laid carefully down on the floor and claimed not to be able to speak english, I wanted to kick her fecking teeth in, making a mockery of people I know who have died in motorbike accidents...

Still angry about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here