Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drivers could have to give way to cyclists under Highway Code shake-up

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Funnily enough, I stopped off at my allotment on the way home from work today and on the blind bend of the twitten there and back I had a near miss from a cyclist ! Both politely smiled and wobbled as they braked hard and swayed out of my way. Of course there are signs at each end clearly stating No Cycling but I have noticed that Cars are not banned by signage, but by a concrete bollard at the entrance to the twitten.

It's a pity as I'd to smile and mumble an apology as I drove my car round the blind bend in to them for a change.

Brilliant young Veg. I so want to wobble a cyclist with my Combo van. They are vermin.........

Edit : cyclists that is....not Combos.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Brilliant young Veg. I so want to wobble a cyclist with my Combo van. They are vermin.........

Edit : cyclists that is....not Combos.

I'm afraid we are stuck with them, the dwindling number of police are already too busy to " advise " them of rules and regs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do you know......... I’m getting quite worked up now. Cyclists pressing the pedestrian crossing buttons and then mounting their bikes and riding across in front of you.

CYCLIST OR EFFING PEDESTRIAN

Just make your f....ucking mind up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It helps when you both drive and cycle. I drive like virtually everyone else and am an occasional cyclist for fitness.

When driving I leave plenty of space in jams for cyclists to pass and wouldn’t dream of rushing a left turn to nip in before cyclists approach. I also make room for motorcyclists to pass in jams. More often than not it’s appreciated with a thumbsup.

Perhaps every motorist should briefly try life as a cyclist?

I have come across a couple of ******** cyclists. I was driving along our residential road at about 10 mph through a cars chicane, when a middle aged skinny cyclist in lycra coming the other way mouthed off. There was no tension on my part and I’d slowed to allow his time and space. Ungrateful liitle shit.

Plus the 20 year olds who cycle fast on pavements weaving between pedestrians are cocks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I live in the city centre by a major intersection and for every cyclist i see going through a red light, i see 10 car drivers do it, so I don't think car drivers argument about this are really valid.

Apparently paying tax and duty gives countless drivers permission to project a one tonne missile through red lights.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is it really too much to ask cyclist and pedestrians to follow the highway code themselves? like not walking out into traffic or undertaking? trouble is it probably wouldnt save any lives as those that get hit havent been seen to be given way to, meanwhile people will go to jail as assumption of fault will be on the car driver.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
is it really too much to ask cyclist and pedestrians to follow the highway code themselves? like not walking out into traffic or undertaking? trouble is it probably wouldnt save any lives as those that get hit havent been seen to be given way to, meanwhile people will go to jail as assumption of fault will be on the car driver.

Why single out any particular group of road users for strict obeying of the Highway Code? Are cyclists and pedestrians less likely to follow the HC in your opinion than other road users?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why single out any particular group of road users for strict obeying of the Highway Code? Are cyclists and pedestrians less likely to follow the HC in your opinion than other road users?

Half of drivers would fail a test based on their daily driving habits.

Tailgating, speeding, non hands free mobile use, lane blocking, undertaking, not indicating, failure to wear corrective glasses for vanity.

The arrogance to think that those dangerous habits should be brushed under the carpet “Coz I pay taxes and duty, unlike cyclists”.

Flouting of laws is rife in every group of road users.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is all a bit odd. Are motorists currently just running over cyclists and pedestrians as they turn left or right? I don't see that they are. I think most 'left hooks' in particular on cyclists from motorists are because the cyclist is filtering up the inside of traffic ( not advisable in itself ) without being aware of junctions.

Yes, I've had more incidents than I can count of motorists over taking me on my bike only to turn left in front of me a few seconds later, rather than wait behind me then turn. This sometimes causes me to slow, which is frustrating as they could have just waited a few seconds, but as yet no one's knocked me off my bike doing this.

Yes, I've had more incidents than I can count of motorists turning right in front of me, basically nipping across because they think they've the time and space to do so. Again, this has caused me to slow unnecessarily, but as yet no one's knocked me off my bike doing this. I understand this action as I think a lot of motorists under estimate the speed a road bike can be going at, thinking that a bike must be slower than a motor vehicle, which in built up areas, is often not the case.

I also think a lot of pedestrians, especially those with headphones in, already think they have complete right of way when crossing junctions. I'm constantly amazed by how many just walk straight across a junction without even looking to see what might be turning in. Seems like a bit of a death wish to me, not to even look before you cross, but maybe that's an old fashioned view? Any pedestrians that do that on a junction I'm turning into whilst driving, I always toot my horn long and hard as I stop to try to make them jump out of their skin. I feel I'm doing them a favour in the (probably vain) hope that they might then remember to look next time and so increase their chances of not getting run over.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How come in some European countries the vast majority of people walk to the designated crossing point and wait for lights before they cross, I guess they have more zebra crossings on nearly every junction which in its self notifies everyone this is a crossing point everybody stop look listen (electric cars could be a problem with the listen bit)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Perhaps every motorist should briefly try life as a cyclist?

This ^

On a recent close pass as I was cycling home from work I thought I'd have a chat with the car driver as we both then had to stop at traffic lights. I was quite calm and polite and the driver was really apologetic saying they had no idea they was that close and would try to remember for next time. I believe they genuinely didn't realise just how close they were to me and how that felt for someone on a bike, as that person had probably never cycled on the road themselves. There was certainly no malice in the move as the close pass wasn't speeded up or aggressive like we sometimes see.

The sad thing is, close passes are a fairly common occurrence if you're a regular cyclist. You sort of get used to it in the end, although some can be frightening, but they can be enough for anyone new to cycling on the road and lacking a bit of confidence to put them off from ever cycling on the road again. And yet I reckon the majority of these close passes don't come from aggressive motorists, but from simple ignorance due to the motorist never having been on a bike on the road themselves. All very easy to fix if somehow cycling could be incorporated as part of obtaining a driving licence.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How come in some European countries the vast majority of people walk to the designated crossing point and wait for lights before they cross, I guess they have more zebra crossings on nearly every junction which in its self notifies everyone this is a crossing point everybody stop look listen (electric cars could be a problem with the listen bit)

I think you're probably right that they have more designated crossing points at junctions. In fact, thinking about it, most of our crossing points/zebra crossings just go across a long straight road and rarely acquaint themselves with junctions at all. A bit bizarre really.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is all a bit odd. Are motorists currently just running over cyclists and pedestrians as they turn left or right? I don't see that they are. I think most 'left hooks' in particular on cyclists from motorists are because the cyclist is filtering up the inside of traffic ( not advisable in itself ) without being aware of junctions.

Yes, I've had more incidents than I can count of motorists over taking me on my bike only to turn left in front of me a few seconds later, rather than wait behind me then turn. This sometimes causes me to slow, which is frustrating as they could have just waited a few seconds, but as yet no one's knocked me off my bike doing this.

Yes, I've had more incidents than I can count of motorists turning right in front of me, basically nipping across because they think they've the time and space to do so. Again, this has caused me to slow unnecessarily, but as yet no one's knocked me off my bike doing this. I understand this action as I think a lot of motorists under estimate the speed a road bike can be going at, thinking that a bike must be slower than a motor vehicle, which in built up areas, is often not the case.

I also think a lot of pedestrians, especially those with headphones in, already think they have complete right of way when crossing junctions. I'm constantly amazed by how many just walk straight across a junction without even looking to see what might be turning in. Seems like a bit of a death wish to me, not to even look before you cross, but maybe that's an old fashioned view? Any pedestrians that do that on a junction I'm turning into whilst driving, I always toot my horn long and hard as I stop to try to make them jump out of their skin. I feel I'm doing them a favour in the (probably vain) hope that they might then remember to look next time and so increase their chances of not getting run over.

The Met published the details of 7 years of deaths of cyclists. The police, DPP and legal system deemed drivers turning left to have caused death by careless driving. No blame apportioned to cyclists. Necessarily a cyclist is moving forwards on the left of roads and invariably in jams is moving quicker at times than vehicles. They are simply cycling in a straight line with no manoeuvre, whilst the killing driver has made a manoeuvre to turn left potentially across the path of other road users.

As an aside, in the stats, drivers opening their door leading to the death of a cyclist, were convicted of manslaughter. A chilling life ending or changing moment for all concerned.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This ^

On a recent close pass as I was cycling home from work I thought I'd have a chat with the car driver as we both then had to stop at traffic lights. I was quite calm and polite and the driver was really apologetic saying they had no idea they was that close and would try to remember for next time. I believe they genuinely didn't realise just how close they were to me and how that felt for someone on a bike, as that person had probably never cycled on the road themselves. There was certainly no malice in the move as the close pass wasn't speeded up or aggressive like we sometimes see.

The sad thing is, close passes are a fairly common occurrence if you're a regular cyclist. You sort of get used to it in the end, although some can be frightening, but they can be enough for anyone new to cycling on the road and lacking a bit of confidence to put them off from ever cycling on the road again. And yet I reckon the majority of these close passes don't come from aggressive motorists, but from simple ignorance due to the motorist never having been on a bike on the road themselves. All very easy to fix if somehow cycling could be incorporated as part of obtaining a driving licence.

In the modern era with mobile phones, during my infrequent bike rides, my only fear is a vehicle ploughing into the back or side of me, as they've drifted off course (after illegally titting around on Facebook or texting). As a car driver I see so many people of both genders using their mobile.

An automatic 3 month ban, no excuses or rural sympathy let-offs, would soon focus even the dimmest of minds. The seat belt resistance was cracked, despite a noisy bunch of idiots claiming it infringed their liberties.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
No place on the roads for cyclists any more. Or horses or motorbikes. Not a dig at cyclists, I would love to cycle much more but the roads aren’t even good enough for the ridiculous amount of cars on them now, let alone a bike. And don’t start with the ‘drivers should drive better’ comments either, not going to happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
? not singling them out thats the point, why not expect the same standard?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Met published the details of 7 years of deaths of cyclists. The police, DPP and legal system deemed drivers turning left to have caused death by careless driving. No blame apportioned to cyclists. Necessarily a cyclist is moving forwards on the left of roads and invariably in jams is moving quicker at times than vehicles. They are simply cycling in a straight line with no manoeuvre, whilst the killing driver has made a manoeuvre to turn left potentially across the path of other road users.

As an aside, in the stats, drivers opening their door leading to the death of a cyclist, were convicted of manslaughter. A chilling life ending or changing moment for all concerned.

Hmmm, I see what you're saying with this bit....Necessarily a cyclist is moving forwards on the left of roads and invariably in jams is moving quicker at times than vehicles. They are simply cycling in a straight line with no manoeuvre, whilst the killing driver has made a manoeuvre to turn left potentially across the path of other road users....but I don't think it's as simple as that. I think the cyclist also has to show some common sense and be in survival mode if you like.

I spend more time on the road on a bike than in a car. On my way to work I go along a busy road where often traffic comes to a slow or stand still. As things slow and I can see a stand still up ahead I often look behind me to check the vehicle behind has seen me and then move out into the middle of the road to over take the line of traffic. I'll continue to ride up the middle of the road all the while the traffic is either at a standstill or I'm going quicker than it is. As the traffic speed picks up Ill look behind to check for a safe gap and move back over to the left. Often the traffic slows again, but if I can see it's only briefly then I'll do a bit of filtering up the inside for a few cars rather than move back out to the middle. Whilst filtering on the inside ( not recommended ) when there's a left turn ahead I'll make sure not to pass anything on the inside and also be aware of anyone behind me giving way to an oncoming vehicle wanting to turn right. I don't want that vehicle to turn into me having not seen me coming up the inside of the vehicle giving way.

Now what you're saying is that I should filter up the inside for as long as I like, and as long as I'm... 'simply cycling in a straight line with no manoeuvre'...have no awareness or caution around junctions on my left and continue on my merry way as it's up to other vehicles making the turn to be aware of me. Fine in principle, if they all used their mirrors and had excellent vision and full concentration. Also if HGV's didn't have blind spots, then marvellous. In law, if I end up dead, perhaps I'll be found to be the innocent party, but I'd rather not take that risk and so will always continue to exercise extreme caution when filtering up the inside, especially if going past junctions!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here