Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Uber Eats

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton is a very small place packed with tons of restaurants (the most restaurants and pubs per swuare mile in the uk), When you consider Brighton & Hove's affluence, student scene, many london commuters getting home late and tired. Plus it's the 2nd most densely populated city in the UK almost on par with London. Maybe this city is an exception in terms of what they can earn in the courier business? Either way, I don't see the harm. Being ill and having a sushi meal and a freshly juiced drink, delivered to your door in under 30 mins is something we would've dreamt of only a few years back. Definitely an industry this city benefits from.

All true but he still has to put the hours in.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't know how many hours he does, but he targets 25 drops a day.

To be fair, that would probably take all day.

Fair play to the guy. I googled and it seems average earnings are £15 ph. So it seems I was wrong, that’s a fair wage.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brighton is a very small place packed with tons of restaurants (the most restaurants and pubs per swuare mile in the uk), When you consider Brighton & Hove's affluence, student scene, many london commuters getting home late and tired. Plus it's the 2nd most densely populated city in the UK almost on par with London.

I don't know where you get the idea that we're the second most populated city after London. According to the Office of National Statistics, we just scrape into the top 20 - but with a density about a quarter of London. Portsmouth is the densest place outside London, just ahead of Southampton and Luton.

I haven't looked at figures for restaurants and pubs per sq mile but I'd be very surprised if we're anywhere near the top - there are a huge numbers of areas with no eating/drinking places: look at Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Hollingdean, Hollingbury, Coldean, Patcham and Stanmer - that's a massive area in total and you can count the number of eating and drinking places (not counting takeaways) on the fingers of your hands.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not for long.

Sadly for them, Uber are about to buy Deliveroo. Uber currently pay their courier staff £2.50 a drop.

there was talk of that a month ago. i understand Deliveroo are still expanding their "Editions" kitchens so they may not be interested in selling.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't know where you get the idea that we're the second most populated city after London. According to the Office of National Statistics, we just scrape into the top 20 - but with a density about a quarter of London. Portsmouth is the densest place outside London, just ahead of Southampton and Luton.

I haven't looked at figures for restaurants and pubs per sq mile but I'd be very surprised if we're anywhere near the top - there are a huge numbers of areas with no eating/drinking places: look at Moulsecoomb, Bevendean, Hollingdean, Hollingbury, Coldean, Patcham and Stanmer - that's a massive area in total and you can count the number of eating and drinking places (not counting takeaways) on the fingers of your hands.

Sorry, made me chuckle. #twats.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I genuinely believe that this might stem from a lack knowledge of this custom in the UK, due to it being a relatively new trade.

I've always tipped cabbies, waiters and barbers, but never takeaway delivery people. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that some people do. Honest.

I would be genuinely embarrassed to take the food and not tip the delivery guy :shrug:

Soft touch me, not suggesting that tipping is obligatory.

I even tip the AA guy when he fixes or tows my car on a breakdown.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
The new pay structure is a month or so old. Uber take about twenty per cent of car delivery, 25 of scooter and 30 per cent of cycles

Minimum fee is 4 pounds then uber take a percentage, so a cycle drop is £2.80 fee, then, beyond one mile, there is an add of approx 10p per mile

A take over of Deliveroo is not desirable!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Check wiki. We're the 2nd most densely populated city. Liverpool 3rd.

Watch the programme 'undercover princes'. They send 3 princes to Brighton to fall in love, they mention on the programme that brighton was selected because it has more restaurantes and pubs per Square mile than any other city in the uk, plus the most single people in the uk.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

The Brighton/Worthing/Littlehampton conurbation is also the UK's most densely populated major conurbation outside London with 5304 people per km².[1] This is due to its tight boundaries between the South Downs national park to the north, and the English Channel to the south together with less land devoted to domestic gardens in English seaside towns than in inland towns.

It is a multi-centred conurbation and the eastern part, the city of Brighton and Hove, has approximately half of its population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_and_Hove_built-up_area

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Read above post.

I did but it doesn't contradict what I said. B+H is not the 2nd most densely population city in the UK. You've added a completely different set of figures.

It's a bit like someone from Crawley saying they had to two Premier League teams in the area because they count Croydon and B&H as part of Crawley.

Lush

Mods' Pet
question this raised is how are supposedly poor students affording take away?

Based on my experience visiting my daughter at uni... delivery costs are not too bad if you're ordering for the whole house. Everyone presses a few buttons on their phones and their share of the order goes straight to the person doing the ordering - it's that easy. Plus you don't have to change out of your pyjamas and slippers.

My major bug bear is that in most professions you would have to be trained to use a work vehicle and pass a test. Not just stick L plates on it and you're good to go. Especially a vehicle where the business model requires you to drive as fast as possible.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I did but it doesn't contradict what I said. B+H is not the 2nd most densely population city in the UK. You've added a completely different set of figures.

It's a bit like someone from Crawley saying they had to two Premier League teams in the area because they count Croydon and B&H as part of Crawley.

You are aware that districts aren't cities?

Greater london is the most densely populated conurbation in the UK. The Brighton and Hove conurbation 2nd. Not sure how Crawley hs come into this?

Here's a reminder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_and_Hove_built-up_area

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here