Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia ...

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It's a difficult one... I want him to come good, and I'm still (just about) giving him the benefit of the doubt, on merit of the recruitment team's recent record. I've seen flashes of promise, good runs that haven't been found, instinctive movement that suggests he could do alright given good service and a couple of goals to get some confidence.

There's also the fact that Hughton tends to ease players slowly into the first XI, as seen with Izquierdo, Jahanbahksh, and Andone. He's had some injuries last year and has been kept out so far this term by Murray's form, which is the right thing to do, so he's not really had a proper bite at the cherry.

However, there's a nagging doubt in the back of my head that by contradiction, our recruitment has been so good in the last few years, we're probably due an outright shocker. Even those who haven't been automatic first picks are reliable squad players that you wouldn't be too upset to see in the matchday squad - Suttner, Balogun, Bissouma - but we've had no genuine duffers for a while now, and sods law says we're due one eventually.

Right now he looks the most likely culprit for that mantle, so while I'm reserving judgement a little longer and willing him to hit a streak of form, I wouldn't be surprised if what we see now is exactly what he is.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You might note (probably not, why would you bother trawling through my posts) that I have said very little negative regarding Jurgen's ability. He has however many, many times shown an unwillingness to put a shift in. If he did that, we might start to see his ability a little more - to be honest so far it's completely impossible to work out what sort of striker he is - he's unlikely to be very quick, he is self-professed to be "bad at heading", so....?

I simply disagree with you if you're saying you feel he works hard enough. Murray certainly agrees with me as well.

That CMS comment is daft as well. I'm simply asking that he works just hard enough that he isn't being completely shown up by a strike partner ELEVEN years older than him who has already been on the pitch 75-80 minutes and is absolutely shattered.

I thoroughly disagree that he doesn't put effort in on the pitch, from what I've seen of him this season he has been trying very hard - too hard on occasion I would wager that has led to silly mistakes at times

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
I’m not sure if he genuinely is a lazy player, or if it just appears that way as he is confused by our tactics, e.g. When should he press, when to drop, when to track back, etc. I’ve seen him a number of times and he always seems hesitant and ponderous, as if he didn’t really understand what he was supposed to be doing (?!).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't actually think the player does get too much stick on here. Everyone calls it as they see it, based on seeing countless players pass before their eyes previously. Some people base their opinion on a player showing any kind of glimmer of talent in the game minutes available to that player. Others place implicit faith in the recruitment team and the transfer fee and appear to let that overrule their gut feeling about what they're seeing on the pitch with their own eyes. Suggests IMHO a lack of confidence in their own ability to judge a player at face value.

It may well be that he is lacking confidence at the moment. This often happens to players who exude it (remember he said when he joined that he saw as a stepping-stone to a top six club) but who fail to deliver when he takes a step up. He had a very promising start for us, but hasn't done much since. I'm on the fence with him, because I really do trust our recruitment team, but I do that, if he plays up-top on his own, then we'll have to adapt the way we play to accommodate his style and strengths. I suspect it's ditto with Andone, but we've no B&HA evidence to make that point, just from his Deportivo youtube clips.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I have seen him run into some good positions waiting for the ball on the shoulder of a defender staying onside when he could use his pace to try and get away only for the player with the ball to turn around and pass it backwards.

I'd love to know how often this happens in a game on average. One of my major frustrations with the team, although I guess these runs/potential opportunities are easier to see from the stands.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Murray was accused as lazy,when first signed ,i remember ......but could he score goals !

Yes he did but he also played full games over a long period

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thoroughly disagree that he doesn't put effort in on the pitch, from what I've seen of him this season he has been trying very hard - too hard on occasion I would wager that has led to silly mistakes at times

Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Numerous times I have seen Murray chase down both CBs whilst Locadia strolls about in between.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
He said WHAT?! :ohmy:

If he did actually say that then he's the most deluded player since Nicklas Bendtner :lolol:

he did before he joined us. Given he's still only 24, won 2 league titles with PSV, scored a hat trick on his debut, and 45 goals and 34 assists in his 127 Dutch league appearances and subsequently joined a premier league club for a club record fee, then he's not that deluded is he, regardless of how its worked out since then. Other players have done likewise and far more with far less impressive track records.

“Manchester United is my dream, but via an intermediate step,"
“I like the path Georginio Wijnaldum has walked, from Newcastle United to Liverpool.”
Jan 2017...
via https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-united-transfer-news-locadia-13199505

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Much to the amusement of my fellow Albion loving friends I've stated that by the end of the season we'll see Locadia in a different and more positive light. I know he's not set our world on fire but a couple of goals and I think his confidence will flourish and he'll end up with between 10-15 goals this season.

Plain mad, too optimistic or fair point?

Was speaking to Geoff Pitcher, who obviously still has contacts at the club and apparently they all think Locadia is the real deal and will come good!!!!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
he did before he joined us. Given he's still only 24, won 2 league titles with PSV, scored a hat trick on his debut, and 45 goals and 34 assists in his 127 Dutch league appearances and subsequently joined a premier league club for a club record fee, then he's not that deluded is he, regardless of how its worked out since then. Other players have done likewise and far more with far less impressive track records.

“Manchester United is my dream, but via an intermediate step,"
“I like the path Georginio Wijnaldum has walked, from Newcastle United to Liverpool.”
Jan 2017...
via https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-united-transfer-news-locadia-13199505
Best get rid asap. His ultimate dream is to play for a shit team who we always beat.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I don't necessarily think it's a lack of ability - it's the formation we play that doesn't suit him. To see the best from him I think CH would need to play him as part of a 4-4-2. He looks totally ill at ease on his own as a target man (one up front). Will CH change tactics to accommodate him?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He did get a goal last game( or would have if it wasn't for the officials)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Assuming that he starts this weekend, this will be make or break time for alot of people's opinions on locadia. I'm sure Chris will be steadfast in his views as always, but unfortunately for jurgen, a lot of people will be on his back more so than they are now should he not put in a noteworthy performance. Obviously for some, he could score a brace and they'd still slag him off, they've already made up their minds,but a lot of people I've spoken to seem to be at a tipping point as to what they think of him at the minute. This is perhaps his best chance to shine that he'll get this side of January.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It will be his 3rd start.

It is four, but your point stands.

And those were against Man City (A), Liverpool (A), Palace (A - One Assist, hooked at half time), and Leicester (H).

Think he'll be fine when he gets a run of starts, and now is his opportunity.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here