Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know three firemen who have been laid off on what I believe are decent pensions due to bad backs at quite a young age, late 30’s early 40’s. I saw one, an ex neighbour of mine, lifting a Mini Metro by hand to let his son put in axle stands. He LOVED early retirement
    Unless you have full details of their bank statements and their retirement agreement as well as their medical records I'd suggest you are a LIAR

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      To be honest I think there is quite a difference between the requirements of the role of a front line police officer / fireman and ambulance staff. It is clear much more of a personal safety risk both to the individual and the wider public for a 65 year old fireman to be climbing into a burning building or a 65 year old police officer trying to chase down a dangerous knife wielding suspect.

Not to lesson what ambulance staff do - it is an incredibly challenging job in really difficult circumstances. I just struggle to see where you would draw the line if this was to be accepted.
      Well the thirty minutes are almost up Swindon fans but your not there yet. in it goes (yyyyyyeeeessssssss) ooohhh its gone in, Brighton in added on time have snatched a goal through Virgo!!! Incredible!! Once again there is late, late, late drama in the playoffs!!

Unused substitute REMF 5.

Proud owner of Hendersons Gloves from 18/10/2005. Crystal Palace 0-1 Brighton And Hove Albion
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Technological advancements - medical breakthroughs are all marvelous things. They significantly improve our qualities of life. One thing they can't seem to achieve is the ideal that after 40/45 years of working and contributing to society - you may be allowed to pursue your desires before your body gives out.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Da Man Clay View Post
      To be honest I think there is quite a difference between the requirements of the role of a front line police officer / fireman and ambulance staff. It is clear much more of a personal safety risk both to the individual and the wider public for a 65 year old fireman to be climbing into a burning building or a 65 year old police officer trying to chase down a dangerous knife wielding suspect.

Not to lesson what ambulance staff do - it is an incredibly challenging job in really difficult circumstances. I just struggle to see where you would draw the line if this was to be accepted.
      The new pension scheme for firemen doesn't kick in until 60, whereas it was 55 before.
      Previously, if a firefighter became injured, they could move to lighter duties, but the new scheme said they had to remain front line, and if they weren't medically fit, then they had to leave.
      They also pay in 11% as opposed to the 4% of most work pension schemes.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      Unless you have full details of their bank statements and their retirement agreement as well as their medical records I'd suggest you are a LIAR
      Sometimes you really do need to get your head out of the sand. One of them even bragged about how the “bad back” get out was a well known thing is the Fire Brigade.

Oh and of course I just made up the bit about lifting a car by hand

I might be many things but LIAR is not one of them.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Da Man Clay View Post

I agree that 65 year olds shouldn’t be going into burning buildings or trying to chase down someone with a knife. Do you think it’s ok / safe for someone who is 65 to carry a 18+ stone person down a flight of stairs?

I can assure you ambulance crews having to carry obese people happens a lot more often than the Fire brigade going into a burning building.

As I’ve said before, why should the Ambulance service be treated differently to the other emergency services? We suffer the same physical and mental stress / trauma, we attend the same incidents and more and yet we are expected to keep going until 67. It won’t happen, as staff will burn out long before the current retirement age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
      What if there was a system whereby neighbouring countries could allow for the freedom of labour so that young people could come and work here, and if they really liked it maybe have kids, settle and become British citizens. Mind you, they'd have to have proof that they have a job to go to.
      let them come and contribute, though i wouldnt limit to only neighboring countries, many skilled and keen workers from the rest of the world. (you're fishing in the wrong pond)
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      I would suggest that unless you can PROVE Icy Gull wrong that you are a TROLL, but we knew that anyway
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinney View Post
      I agree that 65 year olds shouldn’t be going into burning buildings or trying to chase down someone with a knife. Do you think it’s ok / safe for someone who is 65 to carry a 18+ stone person down a flight of stairs?
      bit age-ist? cast onto the scrapheap at 65? shirley should be based on capability?

i jest, i recognise the concern. however i do have a question, how do those in their late 50's early 60's currently cope when they are no longer able to perform duties? presumably some occupational health process, moved to non-front line roles? we dont all hit a certain age and become physically incapable, this isn't a new issue.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      bit age-ist? cast onto the scrapheap at 65? shirley should be based on capability?

i jest, i recognise the concern. however i do have a question, how do those in their late 50's early 60's currently cope when they are no longer able to perform duties? presumably some occupational health process, moved to non-front line roles? we dont all hit a certain age and become physically incapable, this isn't a new issue.
      To be honest most of those who get to late 50’s early 60’s simply walk away and take “early retirement”. I honestly can’t think of anyone who has worked right through until current retirement age since I joined 11 years ago.

In the “old days” you might have gone to a quieter station ie Battle, Rye etc. Those stations have been closed and all crews work out of a central station so the chance of having a slightly slower pace to wind down the final years of service have gone, especially as demand has increased.