Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Bake off fix

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I liked Mel & Sue, but also miss Mary Berry.
I cannot stand Paul Hollywood, who is so full of himself, so I don't watch any more.

I think Mary was better than Pru.

And I agree, I think Paul really has let the press go to his head. It's only bloody bread he bakes. It's not world peace.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Hollywood rules it.
Give him a bit of eye candy with bright lipstick that looks as if she might do a turn, especially if she comes from the Liverpool area and he is all over it.
He did the same with Candice and also that Ruby bird fro Brighton a couple of years ago.
How did she get star baker yesterday when she ripped open the pancake halls to put the filling in and her dipping sauce was like jam.
Its all fixed and dopey Prue goes along with whatever he says.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Bake off on NSC, next you'll be explaining your preference for arse wiping ... oh wait a minute ....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
13.5M on average watched the last BBC series.

6.1M this series so far. Which are brilliant figures for C4.

The owners and Hollywood have enriched themselves even more, but the Hollywood/Berry/Mel/Sue quartet were brilliant. A shame that came to a premature end.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Total joke of a program. Pru Leith must be on some hallucinatory drug with the outfits she wears. Raul was awful but ethnicity got him through. It really is crap now. Baking accounts for 10% and the ability to have a fine arts degree is the other 90%.

Poor poor poor pour pour sift!

TNBA

TTF

But that's exactly the opposite of why Manon, who's been consistently producing "pretty" but foul tasting food, went out.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
For me, there's not a great deal to choose between Toksvig & Perkins, but Leith & Fielding are a HUGE upgrade on Berry & Giedroyc. It's much better now than it used to be.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All rigged these shows mate of mine got quite far on BGT said they make up sob stories for contestants. He disagreed and didn’t make the live shows.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was gutted to lose Manon :love: However Rahul has been the most consistent baker over the series and I am pleased he stayed.

At least there is still Ruby :love:

Perfect summary.

Just can’t help shouting “Man - on” every time she came on the screen.

Too many Hollywood handshakes this year....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just wasted an hour of my life watching Bake Off only for it to be a fix! So wimpy Rahul is bottom in all three challenges and survives. Could it be because he is the only black person and/or the only man?

He's not the only black person (as you put it).

Ruby is of Indian origin.

I agree that last night's result was a joke, but I imagine Rahul was probably let off because he's been largely brilliant so far, with one off day, whereas Manon has been somewhat inconsistent and clearly isn't a candidate to win it overall. If it was all about tokenism, then how come both the gay contestants (that we know of) got hoofed off early: how come the baker with the visible disability didn't win Star Baker this week when she probably deserved to?? How come the other Asian contestant won star baker??

Rubbish argument.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
He's not the only black person (as you put it).

Ruby is of Indian origin.

I agree that last night's result was a joke, but I imagine Rahul was probably let off because he's been largely brilliant so far, with one off day, whereas Manon has been somewhat inconsistent and clearly isn't a candidate to win it overall. If it was all about tokenism, then how come both the gay contestants (that we know of) got hoofed off early: how come the baker with the visible disability didn't win Star Baker this week when she probably deserved to?? How come the other Asian contestant won star baker??

Rubbish argument.

I do feel there may be an element of tokenism on TV shows of this type and, to be honest, I was really only thinking they wouldn't want an all women semi final. I don't generally notice colour, sexuality and I didn't even spot the visible disability till my son pointed out - same for Ruby's origins. To bring it back to the Albion, I hadn't even spotted Paul Nevin fitted the BAME criteria till he got the England gig on that basis.

Nonetheless, the result was definitely a fix and it damaged the integrity of the show.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:shrug: The day I get THAT hung up about a show on TV is the day I'd stop watching TV. It's just a consumable to me – doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, but it's merely entertainment until something else comes along.

There is ALWAYS some kind of 'fix' outcry about these programmes – leading to petitions, boycotts, front page news and, often, some kind of follow-up 'story' on Loose Women or something – but within days it's all forgotten again and life goes on.

I feel much the same about football and The Albion, which is why I don't bother reading or commenting on posts on NSC.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is a flaw in the bake off format in that you're only a good as the current week.
Rahul has been the best and most consistent baker overall, this week he was useless.
He must've put them in a right pickle, do you keep the best one in or do you stick with people who have been scraping through every week and probably don't have a chance of winning.

I think it was the right decision overall, but they definitely had to use their imagination to find a reason to keep him.

Spot on. To resort to a footballing analogy, Bake Off (and just about every other TV talent show) are like a Cup competition, whereas our investment in the competitors can often be like a league. And that's what's happened with Rahul, he's been streets ahead of the rest throughout but has had a mare. Manon hardly shone either, and hasn't been doing what she's been asked to do for a long time. The judges made a judgement.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I do feel there may be an element of tokenism on TV shows of this type and, to be honest, I was really only thinking they wouldn't want an all women semi final. I don't generally notice colour, sexuality and I didn't even spot the visible disability till my son pointed out - same for Ruby's origins. To bring it back to the Albion, I hadn't even spotted Paul Nevin fitted the BAME criteria till he got the England gig on that basis.

Nonetheless, the result was definitely a fix and it damaged the integrity of the show.

It's far more that you want to feel there's tokenism, rather than there actually is, as Edna's quite clearly demonstrated. We live in a plural world/country. Embrace it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
13.5M on average watched the last BBC series.

6.1M this series so far. Which are brilliant figures for C4.

The owners and Hollywood have enriched themselves even more, but the Hollywood/Berry/Mel/Sue quartet were brilliant. A shame that came to a premature end.

Someone bought me Paul Hollywood's Bread for a prezzie a couple of years back. I tried the first recipe for a Bloomer loaf 3 times, each was a disaster that went in to the bin either flat or uncooked. I followed the instructions to the letter. I moved on to try a Sourdough loaf from scratch, I wasted most of 6 weeks trying to grow my starter and attempting a simple Sourdough loaf 4 or 5 times, never produced anything edible despite a huge investment in time and effort.

The book now languishes at the furthest end of all my cookery books, unloved and unused, whereas books from Rick, Jamie and Hugh and even the Hairy Bikers are "go to " books. When I bake bread I use a HFW recipe that rarely fails, that says it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here