Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

The NHS is amazing

19 Not allowed!
    I'm lucky in that I haven't had to see the doctor much in my life time so far.

However last week I got a horsefly bite on my leg. Yesterday I noticed the area going red, thought little of it... but today it had spread all the way down my shin, with dark red patches... all rather worrying, it doesn't look healthy at all.

So I called the doctor, and I was impressed to be able to get an appointment this evening, no problem. So I arrived 5 minutes early, and was called up bang on time. NO waiting time.

So it turns out I have a bacterial infection called cellulitis that was rapidly spreading, and it can ultimately become septis (the condition formerly known as septicemia) if left for too long. I start my round of antibiotics this evening.

Of course this is a fairly insignificant interaction with the NHS, but I could not believe how efficient the service was. We are so very lucky to have a free health service like this.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Thank you, Richard Bacon
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

However last week I got a horsefly bite on my leg. Yesterday I noticed the area going red, thought little of it... but today it had spread all the way down my shin, with dark red patches... all rather worrying, it doesn't look healthy at all.

So I called the doctor, and I was impressed to be able to get an appointment this evening, no problem. So I arrived 5 minutes early, and was called up bang on time. NO waiting time.

So it turns out I have a bacterial infection called cellulitis that was rapidly spreading, and it can ultimately become septis (the condition formerly known as septicemia) if left for too long. I start my round of antibiotics this evening.

Of course this is a fairly insignificant interaction with the NHS, but I could not believe how efficient the service was. We are so very lucky to have a free health service like this.
      Good to hear.
      They looked after my Mrs, brilliantly.
      U & I R listening to KAOS Eggmundo's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      I wholeheartedly agree with you. The NHS is indeed amazing and I'm glad they have sorted you out!

I had an accident in Wales, was taken to a hospital in Aberystwyth, after emergency triage was flown by Sea king helicopter to Swansea Hospital, spent a week in ITU there where they gave my wife a flat to stay in, free of charge, including staff rates in the canteen so she could stay with me, when I was out of ITU they drove me and the wife down to Worthing hospital so I could be closer to home.

Amazing indeed!
      Cheers

4 Not allowed!
      I had pain in my elbow a few months ago so went to the doctors and was diagnosed with alecranon bursitis that had be ome infected so a course of anti inflammatories and anti biotics was started.

Two days later my elbow had disappeared and my forearm was twice the size. I drew round it with a biro that evening and checked it the following morning. The swelling was increasing and the redness expanding so that I looked like I had a thigh instead of an arm.

Drove up to a&e to get it checked as it was Sunday morning. Nurse took one look at it and I was rushed into the doctors and hooked up on intravenous lines for hours with suspected blood poisoning as it had popped.

Obviously I'm fine now but there isn't anywhere else you can just rock up with what you think isn't that serious and get such immediate and professional treatment. For absolutely free.

Any other country and you either have to provide proof of insurance before they treat you or you're that far away from an actual proper hospital that you die.
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they wake up, that's the best they are going to feel all day.

5 Not allowed!
      Whilst I have every sympathy for those where things go awry, my experience of the NHS (doctors’ surgeries and local hospitals) and that of my family has been exceptional. Heart issues, strokes, broken bones, gall stones: you name it, they have dealt with it all extremely well. I am grateful to live in this country. There are far too many people who complain unreasonably.

6 Not allowed!
      We showed you the way forward with financing post-secondary education. Now embrace the US model for health care delivery!
      Because America!

I think you should blow it all up and adopt our fee-for-service, private-insurance based, largely for-profit system instead.
      Costs almost twice as much, fails to cover millions, and delivers poorer outcomes... but the Freedom™ is tremendous.

Freedom™ is a member of the Free™ family of products. Freedom™ is a registered trademark of the Republican National Committee.
      Used with permission. All rights reserved.
      I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first.

(Arrigo Sacchi, Italian national coach; coach, AC Milan, x2.etc. Never played a day professionally)
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Good call. The NHS is amazing,. And its not a small interaction, septisemia can be very very nasty and doesnt need to be left long either

3 Not allowed!
      Agree. The wife’s a nurse. TMU in Brighton. Don’t know how she does it.
      "The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"
      Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I got a bout of cellulitis in my leg a couple of years back. Ended up being on antibiotics for 5 weeks, it can be a stubborn bugger.
      Good luck
      "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."