Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club "investigating" dedicated train service to Manchester

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's the way football fans are treated in this country.

You can drink yourself silly in the pubs before the game, and in the concourses at the Amex. But as soon as you see the big green field in front of you, it's verboten. Not an issue in rugby and cricket of course...

Same with corporate Johnnies at footy. The curtains are closed between the restaurant and the pitch view on matchdays.

That is not exactly true as my 3 sons went to, I think it was Stoke, being good pool players they won a good few pounds in the pubs during the morning on arrival at the ground the Brighton copper refused 2 of them entry saying that he had been told of their hustling and that it was an offense to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol He let the one who was the worse for wear in . No argument except that you cannot do as TLO says.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ah yes, I remember one of the staff members at Barnsley telling us how he'd be unable to tell the difference between a cappuccino and a foamy lager in a coffee cup.

I quite enjoy the challenge of smuggling booze.

I once got a corporate gig at the Emirates. Thier suggestion was champers and Orange juice which passed off as tango. I've never had it before or since.

At the cricket, neat gin or Vodka goes nicely in a water bottle with a bottle of red passed off as Ribena. A small hip flask under a floppy cricket hat for the afternoon session was always a winner (and could also be gripped by your hand if you have to take your hat off). All of the Eurostars to Euro 2016 were dry. We went to the effort of taking a bottle as a present complete with label, wrapping and wine carrier which got necked on the train. Sorry fake Aunt flo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder what a chartered aircraft would cost,. I know it was probably 20 years ago but a Legal and General manager who used our pub told us that they had a sales seminar in Spain and somebody messed up the flights so they chartered a plane for 300 people with no refreshments and it cost less than £8 per person to fly there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps the club could investigate Virgin Galactic for a chartered flight.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Its a good idea for people based in Brighton/Hove if it shaves off a couple of hours of travelling but at least twice the price of a coach its a no for me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That is not exactly true as my 3 sons went to, I think it was Stoke, being good pool players they won a good few pounds in the pubs during the morning on arrival at the ground the Brighton copper refused 2 of them entry saying that he had been told of their hustling and that it was an offense to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol He let the one who was the worse for wear in . No argument except that you cannot do as TLO says.

Good grief.

You can grizzle all you want about some story you've either fabricated or deliberately misunderstood in order to make your point, but when you make that point, it's often in flat contradiction to the law, or common sense. Or usually, both.

The players were drinking on a regular train back from Newcastle in 79 (the future Mrs PG was on it). The club put on 3 Seagull Special charter trains, which were dry. My ticket on the 3rd of these cost me £7: it was my 16th birthday and I didn't really drink then. (Edit: Salaries were about a fifth then what they are today
I reckon they were nearer a tenth. The charter trains were all sold out when I enquired, and I didn't fancy the sleepless night I would undoubtedly get on the midnight charter coach from Worthing. I had no choice but to spend an entire week's take-home pay from my lowly job (over £26) on a station - priced ticket. I took advantage of the pub extension and was amongst the throng of about 500 waiting to welcome back the team, whose arrival was so late that I missed the last train back to Worthing. The atmosphere and sheer noise in that station was fantastic, far better than that in the open end at Newcastle!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good grief.

You can grizzle all you want about some story you've either fabricated or deliberately misunderstood in order to make your point, but when you make that point, it's often in flat contradiction to the law, or common sense. Or usually, both.

He only wrote it to get a response, from you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good grief.

You know my name ask that dick head of a copper and he will tell you it is true. They were charged with trying to enter a sports stadium having consumed alcohol and received a conditional discharge or ask Piltdown Man to ask one of my sons about it at the next home game. it is no major issue but not as you describe it going to a game there are still laws governing the consumption of alcohol.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair play to the club for looking at but surely it will only appeal to those regular Seagulls Travel users who would like the opportunity to walk around a bit. To those of that go by train already, being able to drink is part of the day (not been on a dry train since the last time I was on a Seagull Special!

It's also unlikely to appeal to those that use coaches because of the savings. The cost is more than we have paid for train travel to Manchester/Liverpool over the last two seasons (Liverpool was £34 return from Euston!).

In the voice of Peter Jones, the business case is flawed so it's a no from me.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I wonder what a chartered aircraft would cost. I know it was probably 20 years ago but a Legal and General manager who used our pub told us that they had a sales seminar in Spain and somebody messed up the flights so they chartered a plane for 300 people with no refreshments and it cost less than £8 per person to fly there.

Yeah, but then we'd have to get from Spain to Manchester.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That when we are in the Europa League but my thinking was if it was that cheap to get to Spain what would it be to Manchester.

I think it will be more than £8.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I got the Seagull special to Hereford in 76 and the club repaid us by dropping the great Fred Binney for some unknown kid. Never again.

I wonder what a chartered aircraft would cost,. I know it was probably 20 years ago but a Legal and General manager who used our pub told us that they had a sales seminar in Spain and somebody messed up the flights so they chartered a plane for 300 people with no refreshments and it cost less than £8 per person to fly there.
I expect this will be pursued if the match gets switched to an evening kick off. In fact, I'd
have thought a full plane would be competitive even after allowing for the costs of getting to Gatwick and from Ringway to Old Trafford.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here