Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Happy 60th Birthday To Blue Peter

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Christopher Trace and his bit of four by two was one of my earlist memories.

"As Blue Peter grew in popularity and began airing twice a week it was Trace’s suggestion that a third presenter should be added.

By then Williams had made way for Singleton and in 1965 Noakes joined the Blue Peter team. Unwittingly Trace had helped pave the way for his own downfall. Noakes was an instant hit with viewers as he relished the daredevil assignments that Trace didn’t appear to enjoy.

The following year Trace blotted his copybook during a Blue Peter “culture embracing” trip to Norway. The married presenter took the notion of getting to grips with local culture too literally and had a fling with 19-year-old hotel receptionist Tone Keri Fjalstad.

Details of the affair leaked out and unsurprisingly the BBC – which prided itself on Blue Peter’s wholesome image – took a dim view. So did Trace’s wife Meg, the mother of his two children, who divorced him. He clung on to his job for a while but although his departure was dressed up as a resignation he was eventually pushed out in 1968."

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Christopher Trace and his bit of four by two was one of my earlist memories.

"As Blue Peter grew in popularity and began airing twice a week it was Trace’s suggestion that a third presenter should be added.

By then Williams had made way for Singleton and in 1965 Noakes joined the Blue Peter team. Unwittingly Trace had helped pave the way for his own downfall. Noakes was an instant hit with viewers as he relished the daredevil assignments that Trace didn’t appear to enjoy.

The following year Trace blotted his copybook during a Blue Peter “culture embracing” trip to Norway. The married presenter took the notion of getting to grips with local culture too literally and had a fling with 19-year-old hotel receptionist Tone Keri Fjalstad.

Details of the affair leaked out and unsurprisingly the BBC – which prided itself on Blue Peter’s wholesome image – took a dim view. So did Trace’s wife Meg, the mother of his two children, who divorced him. He clung on to his job for a while but although his departure was dressed up as a resignation he was eventually pushed out in 1968."

Born in the mid-60's, my earliest memories are of Singleton, Noakes, Purves, Petra, Shep and the tortoise.

Warning: Sexist comment - Prettiest presenters in my era were Sarah Greene and Janet Ellis. Ellis's genes continued with the gorgeous Sophie.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As a 13-14 Year Old I can assure you it wasn't the quality of the Show I was interested in... :blush:

As long as it wasn’t an interest in that bloody hippy Mick Robertson.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Born in the mid-60's, my earliest memories are of Singleton, Noakes, Purves, Petra, Shep and the tortoise.

Warning: Sexist comment - Prettiest presenters in my era were Sarah Greene and Janet Ellis. Ellis's genes continued with the gorgeous Sophie.

wasn't there a siamese cat called Jason? Or have I REALLY lost the plot!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Christopher Trace ... although his departure was dressed up as a resignation he was eventually pushed out in 1968."

Pedantry I know, but Peter Purves joined in 1967 and Trace had already gone before he arrived...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wonder how many kids burnt their homes down making the Blue Peter advent crown out of coat hangers, tinsel and candles?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Wonder how many kids burnt their homes down making the Blue Peter advent crown out of coat hangers, tinsel and candles?

dunno, but I have a dark memory of my cousin trying to suffocate me because I decorated his wellie boots with flowers cut out of sticky back plastic

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I have to say that 'fruit cream crunch' was a Sunday dessert staple in our house for many years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:lolol:

Being brought up with a music loving Dad and older brothers, plus good old BBC Radio 1 & 2, I still heard decent 60's music later on.

I like Telstar and a couple of Shadows tracks.

I hard it on the radio when it came out and it blew my tiny mind :mad::O

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My love for that track, Iinks to my passion for later all things synth pop, dance and trance. Also for melodic music. Funny how you get hooked on certain sounds very young.

I know this has nowt to do with Blue Peter!

Exactly. It was Space Age. We were going to the Moon. I was 4 years old, in love with Space Patrol, and the night sky in Rottingdene was star-lit and bible black.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here