Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] FAO old farts ony - shooting sticks

I'm asking for a friend, you understand. Not for me. Oh no, I'm FAR too young and sprightly to be asking about shooting sticks for myself. Perish the thought!

Anyway, I - sorry, my friend - is going to need to stand around for a couple of hours or so in Green Park in London prior to joining the People's Procession on Rembrance Day on November 11th.

The procession itself isn't a problem, walking is easier than standing around for ages especially if it's cold and wet. So my friend was wondering if any of you have a similar friend who has a shooting stick?

Do they find it helpful? Are they stable or do they sink slowly into the mud? Are they sturdy enough?

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

By my friend, of course :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
8d712d38eed40cc461e6d6520b490fd8.jpg

Called cane sticks circa £30 [emoji106]

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I wouldn't be taking any shooting sticks to a remembrance parade.
Have you not seen the Day of the Jackal, it didn't end well :rolleyes:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't know about Green Park, but there were wheelchairs available for veterans waiting around on Horseguards before the march past, just to take the weight off our feet.

It's possible, with it being a large public gathering, that St John Ambulance will be in attendance, and will have facilities similar for older people. Maybe your friend can ask the organisers?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Have thought about getting one in the past as can't stand for any length of time either but any that I've looked at are too low so I'd knacker my knees trying to use...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have one that I inherited from my grandfather. It works brilliantly but I have never actually gone out and about with it!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm asking for a friend, you understand. Not for me. Oh no, I'm FAR too young and sprightly to be asking about shooting sticks for myself. Perish the thought!

Anyway, I - sorry, my friend - is going to need to stand around for a couple of hours or so in Green Park in London prior to joining the People's Procession on Rembrance Day on November 11th.

The procession itself isn't a problem, walking is easier than standing around for ages especially if it's cold and wet. So my friend was wondering if any of you have a similar friend who has a shooting stick?

Do they find it helpful? Are they stable or do they sink slowly into the mud? Are they sturdy enough?

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

By my friend, of course :wink:

what about using an artists folding stool? They are very light weight, your (ahem) friend might find one easier to carry round

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a couple, one with a bifurcated handle and a leather seat , the other with a fold down moulded plastic seat, find them very useful when out and about if standing is going too be an issue. Shouldn't sink into the mud assuming they have a baseplate. You can also get a rubber cap to pur over the point to allow you to use them on hardstandings.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
These are quite handy. It doubles up as an umbrella. However if you want to rest your legs while it's raining it might be a good idea to take a spare brolly just in case.

756F_Folding_BurgNavy_Umbrella_004__17339.1504260752.386.513.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The Swadeneyne however solves the above problem as it has a cleverly concealed removable umbrella allowing you to rest your legs and stay dry. The tweed two piece is an optional extra however personally I think it completes the look and I'd imagine you'd cut quite a dash at the procession kitted out with the full regalia.

0557.jpg

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
as an old fart I reserve the right to ask ... Why are you shooting sticks , what ever have they done to you :moo:

theboybilly

I use a 'Flipseat' bought off Amazon for attending away games. If everybody is standing it provides me with a bit of a break while still seeing the game. I get some odd looks but it really helps. I think I paid around £20 but there are some sellers offering them for less

I use a 'Flipseat' bought off Amazon for attending away games. If everybody is standing it provides me with a bit of a break while still seeing the game. I get some odd looks but it really helps. I think I paid around £20 but there are some sellers offering them for less

The comment about away games was meant as a joke! I haven't been to an away game for a couple of years but shirley you can sit down in your seat at half time or if you need a break?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here