Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NBA - oh god no...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Basketball is infinitely more fun to watch than;

F1 - Oh look, they’re driving around in circles. How many laps are there? Oh 75. Who’s going to win? Oh the guy who started in first. Great.

Golf - That man hit a ball with a stick. Now another man hit a ball with a stick. Now it’s in the hole. Let’s do that 17 more times.

Test Cricket - That man has thrown a ball. The other man has missed it. Let’s wait 3 minutes and try again. How long does this go on for? 5 days? Seriously?

American football - That man has thrown the ball 5 yards so now we stop and think about what to do next. He’s thrown it 5 yards but nobody caught it so we go back to where he was and think about what to do next again.

Baseball -The man threw the ball. The other one hit it and ran 5 yards. Now it’s another guys turn

Tennis - he hits the ball and he hits the ball back, so then he hits the ball back and then he hits it back and then he hits it back.

There’s a fair few sports I prefer, but it’s far from the worst.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You were doing so well, until you utterly destroyed your own argument by trying to pretend that baseball isn't also shit.

There's the rub (with every sport) - some people enjoy it, some don't. Each to their own.

I would rather watch 100 Basketball games than one baseball game. How Americans can call cricket boring and then enjoy baseball is beyond me.

I can watch pretty much any sport and enjoy it, but I draw the line at Baseball.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You were doing so well, until you utterly destroyed your own argument by trying to pretend that baseball isn't also shit.

There's the rub (with every sport) - some people enjoy it, some don't. Each to their own.
You're wrong and Easy is right I'm afraid. Baseball is no more shit than cricket (i.e. not shit at all), although I will say that an attritional game with pitchers on top can get a bit tiresome.

Basketball is the shittest of the American big 4 by far. With a couple of very notable exceptions, there are no world class players under the height of 6 ft 10, which just about says it all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You're wrong and Easy is right I'm afraid. Baseball is no more shit than cricket (i.e. not shit at all), although I will say that an attritional game with pitchers on top can get a bit tiresome.

You've entirely misunderstood my point, I'm afraid. Which was that (along with basketball) which SOME PEOPLE will think is shit, baseball is equally a sport that SOME PEOPLE think is shit. As with pretty much EVERY SPORT. As I wrote - each to their own. Just don't watch what you don't enjoy. Its not a tricky concept!

Basketball is the shittest of the American big 4 by far.

Again - this can only be a matter of subjective opinion - but yes, it is certainly (IMO) in the bottom two, along with baseball. NFL moves slowly enough to understand the variations in styles and tactics. You can have high or low scores, and plenty of drama. NHL is fast, frenetic, and tremendously skillful. Basketball seems to lack any real NUANCE. There's no depth to it. Not a fan at all. Baseball doesn't really seem to be a sport at all - just a minor diversion from the business of eating and drinking.

With a couple of very notable exceptions, there are no world class players under the height of 6 ft 10, which just about says it all.

I'm no fan, but I don't think that says anything at all about the value of the sport - its just an obvious outcome of the very nature of it. You don't get any 5'4" netball players. Look at Rugby Union players these days - giants almost to a man. Is the high jump pointless because all the competitors are tall? Or the hammer, because no light, skinny blokes can win it? :shrug:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So its finally happened.

Sky Sports have bought the rights to the NBA. The singlemost boring, INSUFFERABLE sport on the planet is now going to be polluting our pub screens and living rooms from Wednesday onwards. OK, I appreciate I can largely avoid this new netball channel, but you just know that from now on, SSN (which I do watch quite a bit), will be absolutely FESTOONED with highly tedious multiple updates, highlights and roundups showing us a load of 7 foot freaks jogging back and forth, nonchalantly plopping a ball into a net, for teams I have never heard of, playing a game that nobody likes, in front of an entirely indifferent and nonplussed UK audience. ANY sport that ends up with a score of 110-116 because its such a piece of PISS to score in, is by definition simply not worth watching. You might as well televise shooting fish in a barrel. I would rather spend my night watching a pan of boiled broccoli than waste it by subjecting myself to this fingers-down-the-chalkboard excruciatingly dull squeekball-fest.

Hey Sky - instead of MLS, Eredivisie and (god help us) NBA, how about getting a bit of Champions League or FA Cup football back, instead of throwing this complete and utter DRECK at us.

Sake.

I'm no big fan of the NBA (but I did enjoy the incredible atmosphere at a game at the Boston Garden a few decades back), however you cannot possibly say that basketball is the most boring game on the planet when there are "sports" like F1, Darts, Snooker and anything with horses. Compared with any of those basketball is a whirl of excitement.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Well, yes and no. Here is the roster for the Golden State warriors, current NBA Champions:

https://www.nba.com/warriors/roster

There are TWO players out of 16 who are under 6' 6" tall.

My point was exaggerated but still stands I think.

And yet only three over 6" 10 as you originally stated and also only two of the current top 10 NBA players are over 6" 10. Like I said your original comment was total nonsense, fair enough hate the sport but wind in the bollocks.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
He's scored, they've taken the lead!
Oh my, they've equalised!
Wow, they've scored again!
And they've equalised again!
Ok, they've scored again.
Yep, equalised.
Scored.
Scored.
Scored.
Is anyone still counting?

A quite brilliant summing up which has always lead me to question why they actually need 4 quarters to play out that scenario? And the irony is I was quite handy at school age at basketball but the difference was it was not inevitable that you scored on virtually every attack.

Perhaps the reality is that it's a game that is culturally engrained within Americans in the same way that baseball and gridiron football is. And as a huge cricket fan I can see why they may scratch their heads over a game lasting 5 days where is still no winner.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You've entirely misunderstood my point, I'm afraid. Which was that (along with basketball) which SOME PEOPLE will think is shit, baseball is equally a sport that SOME PEOPLE think is shit. As with pretty much EVERY SPORT. As I wrote - each to their own. Just don't watch what you don't enjoy. Its not a tricky concept!
Nobody says it is. This is a thread bemoaning the fact that our main sports provider has seen fit to spend money on the NBA, which we think is shit. Thanks to you though, I now realise I will no longer watch it.

Again - this can only be a matter of subjective opinion - but yes, it is certainly (IMO) in the bottom two, along with baseball. NFL moves slowly enough to understand the variations in styles and tactics. You can have high or low scores, and plenty of drama. NHL is fast, frenetic, and tremendously skillful. Basketball seems to lack any real NUANCE. There's no depth to it. Not a fan at all. Baseball doesn't really seem to be a sport at all - just a minor diversion from the business of eating and drinking.
Your critique on baseball has as much depth as someone moaning that cricket is just lots of blokes standing around and a minor diversion for the crowd from getting pissed. I doubt you've ever seen a game properly.

I'm no fan, but I don't think that says anything at all about the value of the sport - its just an obvious outcome of the very nature of it. You don't get any 5'4" netball players. Look at Rugby Union players these days - giants almost to a man. Is the high jump pointless because all the competitors are tall? Or the hammer, because no light, skinny blokes can win it? :shrug:
This is fair comment though, although I'd still suggest the height advantage in basketball was noticeably larger than in netball (where they shoot with their feet on the ground) or in rugby where players beef up but are absolutely NOT the giants you suggest:

https://www.englandrugby.com/england/senior-england-men/squads/

1.83m (6') seems about average, with one or two around 1.78m (5' 10")

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And yet only three over 6" 10 as you originally stated and also only two of the current top 10 NBA players are over 6" 10. Like I said your original comment was total nonsense, fair enough hate the sport but wind in the bollocks.
Would you like me to amend my original post to "there are no world class players under the height of 6 ft 6, which just about says it all", seeing as you're obviously very sensitive towards it? I'm not sure my point would be any less valid if we lose those 4 inches in height.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your critique on baseball has as much depth as someone moaning that cricket is just lots of blokes standing around and a minor diversion for the crowd getting pissed. I doubt you've ever seen a game properly.

Again, you miss the point.

Of course I'm no expert on baseball. I'm never likely to become so, as I PERSONALLY find it tedious. But I'm glad that those who do like it, have a lovely time.

Cricket is equally subjective, obviously. That's the whole point. The difference is, as somebody who utterly loves that game, I'm still quite capable of understanding exactly how it could be utterly baffling to non-fans. I'm not going to try to convince them they're wrong.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Would you like me to amend my original post to "there are no world class players under the height of 6 ft 6, which just about says it all", seeing as you're obviously very sensitive towards it? I'm not sure my point would be any less valid if we lose those 4 inches in height.

No thanks as it would still be bollocks. Tbh I'm unsure what your actual point was regarding height to begin with.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No thanks as it would still be bollocks. Tbh I'm unsure what your actual point was regarding height to begin with.

:lolol: :thumbsup:

My point was that it's a game where you have to be a freak to be world class. I do realise I am beginning to sound like Alan Partridge describing farmers now. You should probably throw a dead cow at me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I think his point was that the sport is devalued, because the very nature of it, means that players with a specific physical characteristic have an advantage.

(Like tall netball players, big strong rugby players, tall high jumpers, tall long jumpers, strong hammer throwers and shot-putters, cyclists with a large lung capacity, small light jockeys, etc, etc, etc, etc)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Again, you miss the point.

Of course I'm no expert on baseball. I'm never likely to become so, as I PERSONALLY find it tedious. But I'm glad that those who do like it, have a lovely time.

Cricket is equally subjective, obviously. That's the whole point. The difference is, as somebody who utterly loves that game, I'm still quite capable of understanding exactly how it could be utterly baffling to non-fans. I'm not going to try to convince them they're wrong.
Let's be clear, I'm not missing any point - you're not describing quantum theory here.

Somehow I think I too am capable of understanding how some people consider cricket somewhat baffling despite it being a game I also enjoy. I am merely taking issue with your assessment of baseball, which in stark contrast to your assessment of NHL and NFL seemed somewhat ignorant - probably in the same way [MENTION=28560]PoG[/MENTION] considered my critique of the NBA!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Having worked with a guy from Antigua he explained that it was commonly accepted that West Indian cricket will never reach the heights of the past due to basketball. Too many young sporty chaps have realised that even if they reach the highest level the wages at cricket will always be dwarfed by what they could earn even being a fairly average NBA player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Let's be clear, I'm not missing any point - you're not describing quantum theory here.

Somehow I think I too am capable of understanding how some people consider cricket somewhat baffling despite it being a game I also enjoy. I am merely taking issue with your assessment of baseball, which in stark contrast to your assessment of NHL and NFL seemed somewhat ignorant - probably in the same way [MENTION=28560]PoG[/MENTION] considered my critique of the NBA!

:shrug:

Whatever. I don't even like basketball. I just like arguing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This just shows how little you know about basketball and American commentary, it would be tied rather than equalised :facepalm:
I was allowing for British commentators who are still getting used to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here