Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NBA - oh god no...

Is that the one played by tall people with scores every few seconds and results invariably along the lines of 109 - 110? As with the American version of rounders fun to play but deathly dull to watch.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
When I lived in New York I was a regular visitor to MSG to see the Knicks who were (and still are) absolutely crap. Still enjoyed it though.

But I think Sky missed a trick spunking money on the NBA. Nowhere near as good as the NHL - by far the fastest most exciting and skilful sport you can watch in North America. I got completely caught up with Rangers run to the Stanley Cup and have been an avid watcher ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So its finally happened.

Sky Sports have bought the rights to the NBA. The singlemost boring, INSUFFERABLE sport on the planet is now going to be polluting our pub screens and living rooms from Wednesday onwards. OK, I appreciate I can largely avoid this new netball channel, but you just know that from now on, SSN (which I do watch quite a bit), will be absolutely FESTOONED with highly tedious multiple updates, highlights and roundups showing us a load of 7 foot freaks jogging back and forth, nonchalantly plopping a ball into a net, for teams I have never heard of, playing a game that nobody likes, in front of an entirely indifferent and nonplussed UK audience. ANY sport that ends up with a score of 110-116 because its such a piece of PISS to score in, is by definition simply not worth watching. You might as well televise shooting fish in a barrel. I would rather spend my night watching a pan of boiled broccoli than waste it by subjecting myself to this fingers-down-the-chalkboard excruciatingly dull squeekball-fest.

Hey Sky - instead of MLS, Eredivisie and (god help us) NBA, how about getting a bit of Champions League or FA Cup football back, instead of throwing this complete and utter DRECK at us.

Sake.
I'm almost with you, except the highlighted bit. Someone is forgetting Sky already have the rights to Formula One.

Perhaps they could have a dedicated channel for Formula One and NBA and brand it Sky Sports BORE or something.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I just cannot get excited about a sport which ends up 119-114
A bit like watching Lewis Hamilton leading a parade of rich geezers around some tarmac.
Tennis too bores me rigid.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
So its finally happened.

Sky Sports have bought the rights to the NBA. The singlemost boring, INSUFFERABLE sport on the planet is now going to be polluting our pub screens and living rooms from Wednesday onwards. OK, I appreciate I can largely avoid this new netball channel, but you just know that from now on, SSN (which I do watch quite a bit), will be absolutely FESTOONED with highly tedious multiple updates, highlights and roundups showing us a load of 7 foot freaks jogging back and forth, nonchalantly plopping a ball into a net, for teams I have never heard of, playing a game that nobody likes, in front of an entirely indifferent and nonplussed UK audience. ANY sport that ends up with a score of 110-116 because its such a piece of PISS to score in, is by definition simply not worth watching. You might as well televise shooting fish in a barrel. I would rather spend my night watching a pan of boiled broccoli than waste it by subjecting myself to this fingers-down-the-chalkboard excruciatingly dull squeekball-fest.

Hey Sky - instead of MLS, Eredivisie and (god help us) NBA, how about getting a bit of Champions League or FA Cup football back, instead of throwing this complete and utter DRECK at us.

Sake.

Agree. Tedious little game.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Having been to an NBA game, those lanky freaks get in the way of a good evening. I went to Memphis against NY Jets (I think). Three hours of hot dogs, Pepsi, pop corn, canons, parachutes, kiss cam, Mastercard seat upgrades, explosions, more popcorn , free t shirts, even more free t shirts, sponsorships (boy do they do sponsorship) and beer.

I would hope not - the Jets would be at a distinct disadvantage playing basketball in all their American Football pads and helmets.... ;o)

Last edited:

el punal

So its finally happened.

Sake.

The sexual description of basketball :

Bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, flop! Handjobs all round. Bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk, flop! More handjobs all round. Continue in the same vein until . . . . . :yawn:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So its finally happened.

Sake.

Morning heathen :lolol:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
So you won't be tuning in on Wednesday morning at 01.00 to watch 76ers @ Celtics, you won't be missed

It's going to be a cricket score isn't it?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I just cannot get excited about a sport which ends up 119-114
A bit like watching Lewis Hamilton leading a parade of rich geezers around some tarmac.
Tennis too bores me rigid.

And as for cricket...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Must be a bit of an unfulfilling life being an NBA defender (assuming there is such a position). The nearest you'd get to a clean sheet is keeping the score down to 92 or something.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
100% withe the OP

But have to admit that love of sport is a very individual thing.
I love football (obviously) almost as much as I love baseball.
Love cricket, golf and horse racing and accept that many people find this baffling.
I wouldn't watch the Lewis Hamilton show or "super"bikes if you begged me to. Nor do I give a to55 about Rugger, NBA, Olympics, ice hockey or show jumping. But I know people who love it.

The people I really don't understand are people who don't love any sport. These people don't know what they are missing. They really don't.

The most emotional moments of my life have been sport related (sorry kids, but they have)
Doncaster and Hereford. Wembley. Falmer.
C&G final at Lords
Game 6 of the 2011 World Series
Big Buck's at Cheltenham
The Miracle of Medina

They do not know what they are missing!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So its finally happened.

Sake.

Nearly as boring as 'wake me up when something happens' baseball eh Easy!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So its finally happened.

Sake.

NFL already has - every single game they bring over here is sold out. I went myself last year to Twickenham to see the Minnesota Vikings against the Cleveland Browns, and it was a mighty spectacle. The game was tremendous, the lead changed 3-4 times before the Vikings eventually crushed them in the 4th. In front of about 80,000, it was epic.

Baseball is far more niche. I love it, its probably my 2nd favourite sport. But tbh I don't really see it catching on over here, there's no appetite for it. They're bringing the Yankees vs the Red Sox to the London Stadium next June though, in a couple of proper regular season game and I've pre-registered for tickets, I'll be all over that. I've watched MLB in the states, and its just...brilliant. Wonderful sport.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy basketball though. I'm not saying its without skill obviously, but as a spectacle...christ. Dullness personified.

You were doing so well, until you utterly destroyed your own argument by trying to pretend that baseball isn't also shit.

There's the rub (with every sport) - some people enjoy it, some don't. Each to their own.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here