Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NBA - oh god no...

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Wizards v Knicks

As an American podcast I listen to said:-

"Nobody in America wants to watch that game, how have they sold it to England".
They said the same thing in '11 when it was Nets Vs Raptors.

Triple overtime later and it was one of the most exciting games I have seen.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brilliant finale to the game, glad I watched the last third.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They were saying on the radio today that among 11 to 16-year-olds it was the second biggest sport in the UK. Seriously? That's ****ed up if true.

:lol:

Why are you laughing?

I've played both and football is far easier to be competent at than basketball. Not even a close contest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why are you laughing?
Because I think there are far better spectator sports.
I've played both and football is far easier to be competent at than basketball. Not even a close contest.
I expect most of us have played both. How difficult it is to be competent at them is irrelevant.

A rubbish NBA game is still more entertaining than a 0-0 draw bore.
??? If you prefer basketball, good for you. I think it's shit, and I love football. Each to their own eh.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Can't stand basketball, it's a glorified beep/bleep test with an orange ball.

Barrier for kids to play is lower than football/rugby, so I can see why it might be more popular at school - not even considering it can be played year-round inside whilst also taking up less space.

Plus the constant squeaking of soles for an hour or whatever, is enough to give me a migraine.

SpaceJam was a fun kids film though. :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A rubbish NBA game is still more entertaining than a 0-0 draw bore.

The reason football (soccer) is the most widely supported team sport in the world is because it creates such intensity of passion. It does this by being low scoring. As you well know, an AFL game can be won by 80 points to 70 points, a cicket match by 300 to 220 runs, an NBA tie by 98 to 96 points, rugby by 28 to 16 etc etc. A football match can be won 1-0, one team can utterly dominate for 99.5% of a match and the other team poaches a goal from one attack. Every individual moment can change the match entirely. It is also the reason in my view that football has more crowd trouble than any other sport. In that moment where the weaker side takes a thoroughly undeserved lead almost on the final whistle one set of fans have seen their expectations torn up and thrown into the bin, the rival fans are wildly celebrating their unlikely moment of glory and laughing at their opposite numbers, the passions run over in some people. It is the low scoring nature of the game that makes those moments so intense.

So yeah, NBA is shit.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The reason football (soccer) is the most widely supported team sport in the world is because it creates such intensity of passion. It does this by being low scoring. As you well know, an AFL game can be won by 80 points to 70 points, a cicket match by 300 to 220 runs, an NBA tie by 98 to 96 points, rugby by 28 to 16 etc etc. A football match can be won 1-0, one team can utterly dominate for 99.5% of a match and the other team poaches a goal from one attack. Every individual moment can change the match entirely. It is also the reason in my view that football has more crowd trouble than any other sport. In that moment where the weaker side takes a thoroughly undeserved lead almost on the final whistle one set of fans have seen their expectations torn up and thrown into the bin, the rival fans are wildly celebrating their unlikely moment of glory and laughing at their opposite numbers, the passions run over in some people. It is the low scoring nature of the game that makes those moments so intense.

So yeah, NBA is shit.

No, it's because its cheap and accessible to the great unwashed masses.

You don't seem aware that individual moments can impact and change the result of a basketball game. So your opinion on the NBA really means nothing. Because it reads as a clueless one.

The term buzzer beater is famous because of basketball. It's a very well known term, highlighting a moment in the game when it all comes down to one shot, one play in the dying seconds to win it all.

To say soccer has this heart in your mouth stuff to itself is hilarious.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Can't be arsed reading the previous 16 pages arguing the merits and demerits of Basketball, but I'd like to declare that I find the game is as interesting (and similar to) watching a Newtons Cradle for an hour...

SpeedyEvergreenAcornweevil-size_restricted.gif

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach

You don't seem aware that individual moments can impact and change the result of a basketball game. So your opinion on the NBA really means nothing. Because it reads as a clueless one.

The term buzzer beater is famous because of basketball. It's a very well known term, highlighting a moment in the game when it all comes down to one shot, one play in the dying seconds to win it all.

Let's move away from arguing with people who don't like/watch/know the sport.

So who's your team? Been watching any of the games?

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't be arsed reading the previous 16 pages arguing the merits and demerits of Basketball, but I'd like to declare that I find the game is as interesting (and similar to) watching a Newtons Cradle for an hour...

View attachment 103932

Needs a GIANT FREAK standing at each end. Then pretty much spot on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You're on a footy forum arguing that basketball is better than football. None of us care, go and join a basketball forum.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
:lolol: the hatred for basketball is strong. I'd like to know how many of those that detest it have actually watched a full game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here