Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NBA - oh god no...

Would you like me to amend my original post to "there are no world class players under the height of 6 ft 6, which just about says it all", seeing as you're obviously very sensitive towards it? I'm not sure my point would be any less valid if we lose those 4 inches in height.

The loss of 4 inches in some circumstances would be devastating.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Great news from Sky. Not a big fan of the regular season but love the play-offs. :cheery:

Hoping that BT Sport are showing NCAA hoops again this year too :clap:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not able to double check, but I believe the ball is in play, in a 3 hour game of baseball for 10 minutes.

Still I'd take any sport over F1.

Basketball highlights are pretty good, I'm not sure I'm up for 1 full game let alone a full season

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm with Easy, Basketball is a shit sport. Incredibly tedious and, ironically given the amount of points, pointless. Genuinely hate the game. It's one of the very few sports that is both boring to watch and to play. It used to piss me off no end at school when the P.E teacher would say it was Basketball term. Why? There's a perfectly good field outside that can be used for any number of much better, more fun sports.

That said I was tricked into going to a 'street' basketball tournament a few years ago. That was bearable as it was 3 v 3, the games only lasted 5 minutes so the points actually meant something,it was all played within the three point line and the players got to do some harlem globe trotter type moves.

But basically it's a shit sport that shames the name of sport. It needs to **** off.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You forgot to mention how Sky will no doubt want to hike up there prices further for the privileged. I tried to watch one Albion game recently - but not possible, they could only sell me a one month subscription at £18. I had zero interest or time to watch anything else. I think that was just the Prem channel too.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Never had a Sky subscription (apart from the odd Now TV one day pass and Sky Sports Mix free with Virgin for Red Zone)so will remain unaffected by this with any luck. Never really found NBA that interesting personally but it's just another one that isn't for me I guess, along with either code of rugby, tennis, nearly all athletics, horseharming and others.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
NFL is ace. Baseball is a bit of a slow burner but if you understand the tactics...NBA nah. Could do the Haarlem Globetrotters at a push - like the music

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm not able to double check, but I believe the ball is in play, in a 3 hour game of baseball for 10 minutes.

Still I'd take any sport over F1.

Basketball highlights are pretty good, I'm not sure I'm up for 1 full game let alone a full season

I think that's NFL where it's only in play for about 10 minutes. In basketball, the ball is in play for pretty much the whole 48 minutes, which does take about 3 hours. Mainly because splitting it into 4 quarters apparently isn't enough, they have to also feature the worst concept in all North American sports: the timeout. They train for hours every day (I assume they just luzz the ball in the basket), have team talks at each break, but they still need to stop the clock with 3 seconds to play so the coach can tell them "you need to get the ball in the basket". Terrible sport.

Even NBC have cottoned on to the fact basketball is tedious nonsense, by introducing a subscription where you can just pay to watch the 4th quarter. They should take it one step further and let you subscribe to the last 5 seconds.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
This may be the nail in the coffin of my Sky Sports subscription. Prem Rugby already gone to BT, Cricket gradually being leached away..

There's already an alarmingly wearisome amount of Golf on Sky and now Basketball which, over the next few weeks, Sky will be assiduously pretending is REALLY, REALLY exciting and nuanced rather than just tall people taking it in turns to score.....about as welcome as a replacement bus service.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You were doing so well, until you utterly destroyed your own argument by trying to pretend that baseball isn't also shit.

There's the rub (with every sport) - some people enjoy it, some don't. Each to their own.

Indeed. Ever since humans arrived on this planet in order to amuse ourselves we've thrown things, kicked things and hit things with sticks. To say that one particular form of throwing, kicking or hitting with a stick is intrinsically 'better' than any other is rubbish. 'Each to their own' as you say. I too think basketball is incredibly boring and I wish the contract had gone to Eurosport with all the other shit stuff (celebrity log-rolling or whatever), but the job of a sports channel is to show sports, and the NBA is the top netball league so I'll have to lump it.

Who knows? some people might even like it. I thought American football was THE most stupid sport on the planet until Channel 4 started showing it in the early 80s. Now it's easily my favourite sport.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This may be the nail in the coffin of my Sky Sports subscription. Prem Rugby already gone to BT, Cricket gradually being leached away..

There's already an alarmingly wearisome amount of Golf on Sky and now Basketball which, over the next few weeks, Sky will be assiduously pretending is REALLY, REALLY exciting and nuanced rather than just tall people taking it in turns to score.....about as welcome as a replacement bus service.

... Or maybe I won't lump it. You're quite right, Sky is slowly losing a lot of what makes it worth paying for. If they go TOO overboard with the NBA and try and claim it's an adequate replacement for cricket, RU, Champions' League, some PL games, etc then I might have to re-consider my subscription.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Basketball is the sport of saturation Stateside. Whenever you go there it is on 24/7. If Sky started pushing that at me all the time, I'd definitely leave them.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
You forgot to mention how Sky will no doubt want to hike up there prices further for the privileged. I tried to watch one Albion game recently - but not possible, they could only sell me a one month subscription at £18. I had zero interest or time to watch anything else. I think that was just the Prem channel too.

Could you not have got one of these: https://www.nowtv.com/sports-purchase

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here