Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A national team to be PROUD of...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’m with Sheebo here and after years of average at best performances I have hope. We might not ever be the best again but we are competitive, proud and decent to watch. We have young talent who want to play for the country. We have a manager who has the national media and fans behind him, plus the pundits and key influencers, and importantly isn’t afraid to back his own judgement. After Rashfords 2 misses against Croatia other managers would have left him out.

Oh, HT - I’d like to see the vanity unit please.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Keep that tap HT. It lools like a dachshund.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Superb time to be an England fan - we deserve this.

Young likeable side playing great football with a young likeable manager. Doesn’t really get much better than that.

Amen.

Albion and England for life.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was a huge result for England tonight and to do it without Stones, Henserson, Alli too.

Moving on from the World Cup it looks like Chilwell, Gomez, Barkley, Sancho and Winks all have something to bring to the squad, and it's good to see the back of some deadwood like Smalling, Jones, Wilshere, Lallana and Delph.

Southgate needed this result to help justify his new long-term contract as to go winless in 5 would have been a worry.

Southgate has to be commended for being his own man. EVERY other England manager would NOT have ditched Smalling and Jones, simply because they play for Manure and have medals.

Southgate sees beyond that, recognising their glaring faults and selecting better centre halves.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m with Sheebo here and after years of average at best performances I have hope. We might not ever be the best again but we are competitive, proud and decent to watch. We have young talent who want to play for the country. We have a manager who has the national media and fans behind him, plus the pundits and key influencers, and importantly isn’t afraid to back his own judgement. After Rashfords 2 misses against Croatia other managers would have left him out.

Oh, HT - I’d like to see the vanity unit please.

Well said. I just get fed up with the negativity that was once perceived ‘cool’ by some that seems to creep in to any England threads. And from people who didn’t even watch the game! Just let the fans who enjoyed that performance discuss it and celebrate - it’s not hard to do...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Anyone want to see my sink and vanity unit? :lolol:

You could load the sink with ice and put some of your beardy beer in to cool down below 4 degrees so it numbs your taste buds.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Oh give your head a wobble and f*ck off you absolute clown.

I don’t care about England’s national team, because I’m not patriotic and feel no real connection to them but when the whole country got behind them it was infectious. I didn’t even watch every game but I had an interest.

If the offends you so deeply then write down all your hurt feelings on a scrap of paper, roll that bit of paper up and pop it up your arse because nobody cares.

Brighton and area is full of you lot.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well said. I just get fed up with the negativity that was once perceived ‘cool’ by some that seems to creep in to any England threads. And from people who didn’t even watch the game! Just let the fans who enjoyed that performance discuss it and celebrate - it’s not hard to do...

I’m with you. We rightly criticise “fans” who “supported” Chelsea/Spurs/Liverpool and then when we got to the PL suddenly get a ST and declare their love of the Albion (you know the type “I used to go to the Goldstone (sometimes) but after that couldn’t make it for 12 years”).
I have the same feelings for those who knock their own country.

Real football fans know that there are more lows than highs but you have to keep the faith.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't believe it's a particularly good team. The age of the English winger has died, this is an uncreative team with a world class striker we can't get into the games. He picked up a couple of assists tonight but he hasn't threatened a goal for a while. Harry Winks starting shows how few options there are in central midfield, certainly the glory days of our midfield are passed. A fantastic result tonight though, which is all the game is about. Raheem Sterling has made a rare impact on an England game and the only downside was no appearance for Lewis Dunk.

Sorry but can only say what I think and feel but I am pleased that Lewis did not get on tonight.
He has now had the experience of being in the England set up and seen what it is like and I hope he now goes on to keep getting selected.
But to give him his first cap away against Spain the way they were pressing 2nd half if he had made a mistake to allow Spain to score on his debut it could have f****d him right up.
He probably would have been nervous enough as it is without throwing him on as sub 2nd half.
He now has some experience but would rather see him play in an 'easier' game or friendly.
Glass half empty I know, maybe he would have played a blinder, I know that Watford player came on but that was no game to throw on a rookie into the heart of defense.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Having a team with likeable players is the main difference for me.

As pointed out they may not be world beaters, but they clearly put the effort in and have worked hard to get to the level they have.

I do think there is value in these players playing in the football league.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry but can only say what I think and feel but I am pleased that Lewis did not get on tonight.
He has now had the experience of being in the England set up and seen what it is like and I hope he now goes on to keep getting selected.
But to give him his first cap away against Spain the way they were pressing 2nd half if he had made a mistake to allow Spain to score on his debut it could have f****d him right up.
He probably would have been nervous enough as it is without throwing him on as sub 2nd half.
He now has some experience but would rather see him play in an 'easier' game or friendly.
Glass half empty I know, maybe he would have played a blinder, I know that Watford player came on but that was no game to throw on a rookie into the heart of defense.

I thought the same. France/Belgium/Spain away would all be night are debut fixtures. Even the more experienced defenders chosen tonight lived a charmed life, with pinball in our chaotic box in that manic second half, as Spain lumped in dozens of crosses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could load the sink with ice and put some of your beardy beer in to cool down below 4 degrees so it numbs your taste buds.

Alternatively I could maybe use the fridge?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought the same. France/Belgium/Spain away would all be night are debut fixtures. Even the more experienced defenders chosen tonight lived a charmed life, with pinball in our chaotic box in that manic second half, as Spain lumped in dozens of crosses.

They did, but they were also very assured. Thought the Maguire/Gomez partnership was very effective, Maguire in particular has turned himself into a giant of a defender. Hopefully Gareth has liked what he’s seen of Lewis over the week and he does get another go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tomorrow it’s taps.

Doh. I have just realised it’s France versus Germany tonight. I shall therefore postpone the taps and watch these two world champions play out a feast of football.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Agree with that. Hes been patient enough, Dunks time will come and its good experience. An away game against Spain for a relatively important game is a dream start. In Roy of the Rovers
Never thought I would say it, but I trust Southgate to get it mostly right. Not all of it mind. But thats ok

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Firstly, for what it’s worth, I was going to do this thread watching the game at 0-0, so the result is just a cherry on top..

Don’t get me wrong, we’re not quite up there with the worlds best yet but as a work in progress we are so exciting. Quick passing, hard working pressing and some unreal passing. One of the best counter attacking performances I’ve seen first half - like Liverpool at their best.

To go away to one of the worlds best teams & win (first defeat in 30 something at home - since 2003?) in a competitive match and do that is highly commendable. There were even posters on here criticising our World Cup performances recently (not sure what they expected?) but after a fantastic World Cup & tonight’s performance & result the future is so exciting for us.

All this and a BHA player now in the fold.

Club & Country always :thumbsup:

Ps - England fans fantastic all night too - follow England awaaaaaay!

Apart from those who tried to smash up one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, apparently. Be interesting to hear from those that were there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m with you. We rightly criticise “fans” who “supported” Chelsea/Spurs/Liverpool and then when we got to the PL suddenly get a ST and declare their love of the Albion (you know the type “I used to go to the Goldstone (sometimes) but after that couldn’t make it for 12 years”).
I have the same feelings for those who knock their own country.

Real football fans know that there are more lows than highs but you have to keep the faith.

Matthew Norman wrote in the Observer more than 25 years ago that the four stages of mental state of an England supporter around tournament (or qualification) time were 'fear, missplaced optimism, disappointment and disgust'. I havent felt that since the Keegan LWL, to be fair. Yesterday was as far away from that as it can be: 'engagement, cheerful optimism, glee and satisfaction'. Good thread [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Oh give your head a wobble and f*ck off you absolute clown.

I don’t care about England’s national team, because I’m not patriotic and feel no real connection to them but when the whole country got behind them it was infectious. I didn’t even watch every game but I had an interest.

If the offends you so deeply then write down all your hurt feelings on a scrap of paper, roll that bit of paper up and pop it up your arse because nobody cares.

Given some of your recent posts on here I’d be very careful.

This post makes you look like an absolute prat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here