Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spain vs England

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A great result.

How many times have England beat the big guns on foreign soil in COMPETITIVE matches, not friendlies.

Can't think of many, Argentina 2002 WC, 5-1 Germany 2001

Gutted for Lewis, he deserves his chance...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst not much of a fan outside of tournaments I was really pleased to see Sterling get a couple. He got so much shit from plenty of fans during the WC but it was obvious that he scared the shit out of defenders with his pace and skill, leaving space for other players. Having watched him in the flesh at the Etihad it was clear that he is the real deal. Great that we have an England forward like this at last, so many who flattered to deceive have come and gone. Full marks to the Palace gimp manager for sticking with him :smile:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Considering the 2 sloppy goals we conceded from crosses I'm kinda glad Lewis didn't come on as a sub, otherwise it would be easy to point a finger at him.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Great experience for Dunk being involved with the squad and training with England players...I'm glad that he's been there

Quite - I don't understand some of the bitterness - You have centre half regarded as one of the top 6 or 7 in the country, just not the top 4 or 5. Something to celebrate rather than throw the toys out of the pram and feign disinterest in England. We were magnificent first half, play like that regularly and you win tournaments. If one of your players is in and around a squad like that, take time to relish it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Just recovering after a great couple of days in Seville.

What a fantastic performance from England.

The first half performance was as good as I have seen us play live and probably up there with Germany away and the Netherlands in a Euro 96. As expected Spain pressed second half and had they got that second five minutes earlier I would have been very worried!

Be in no doubt that they were well up for this. That was no friendly.

And Dunk watch. Got excited when he was warming up on 70 minutes. Got very nervous when we saw him go down the tunnel five minutes later assuming he was getting ready. But last night was probably not the game to bring him on in. Would have been difficult to slot straight into a fast game in which we were hanging on. Had we broken and made it 4-1 I wonder if he might have got some minutes but it wasn’t to be. Hopefully GS will have liked what he saw in training and give him another call up.

The USA home game which is coming up looks a good game to try him out to me. Pointless friendly which no one else will want to play in so blood a few new cappers.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Considering the 2 sloppy goals we conceded from crosses I'm kinda glad Lewis didn't come on as a sub, otherwise it would be easy to point a finger at him.

Perhaps we wouldn’t have conceded them had he been on! I’d like to think he would have made a better attempt at marking somebody for both goals.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
So after the 6 games....it looks like Croatia down, Spain go through and we stay. Do Spain come back to our group or new lots?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Nations League is so so so much better than pointless friendlies. I watched France v Germany (I think) in the first round of games - played at a great pace & a full house. Teams of similar abilities playing for qualification & relegation is good.

There is plenty to moan about regarding UEFA but they've got this tournament absolutely spot on - the only thing I wish was that the groups were slightly bigger (4-5 teams) to give it a bit more of a league feel.

The Nations League meant that Gibraltar were able to record their first ever competitive win the other night, against an Armenia side including Henrikh Mkhitargaeryan.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just waiting to get flight back from Malaga but what a night. Turned out we were in the team hotel so thought I might have seen Lewis, alas players are kept well away and tucked away in their rooms.

Great to see proper competitive games and we were incredible in the first half. Agree re Dunk warming up / going down the tunnel as felt nervous for him given the position we were in and you knew we were gonna get constantly attacked for the last 15mins or so.

Great trip, shame about the policing / stewarding in the stadium as got split up from my group and ended up standing on steps but did not let that spoil a great trip.

Some public transport to the stadium would be nice in the future!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst not much of a fan outside of tournaments I was really pleased to see Sterling get a couple. He got so much shit from plenty of fans during the WC but it was obvious that he scared the shit out of defenders with his pace and skill, leaving space for other players. Having watched him in the flesh at the Etihad it was clear that he is the real deal. Great that we have an England forward like this at last, so many who flattered to deceive have come and gone. Full marks to the Palace gimp manager for sticking with him :smile:

Barring his finishing (which was woeful) Sterling's all-round play in the WC was generally very, very good. As you say, Sweden and Colombia were both absolutely shit scared of his pace and he drew countless fouls and made superb intelligent runs creating space for others.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
F/ing hell Jon, I'd vowed never to post on here ever again, but even I had to return for this one and lend you my support. Of all the middle aged dullards on here HT is the biggest narcissistic bore of the lot, and that really is saying something when you've got competition from the likes of [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] et al. Get out while you still can. Top post btw. James.

This. I disagree with the second part of your post, I don't even think it's close. (He's still posting look-at-me-bollocks on Sheebo's other England thread).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Totally agree about Sterling. I can remember seeing hin as a kid for Liverpool, and think he is one of the most exciting players we have had for a long time. And I am not a Citeh fan.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Have you not read the memo? He's "the lovely Sussex fella" these days.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just waiting to get flight back from Malaga but what a night. Turned out we were in the team hotel so thought I might have seen Lewis, alas players are kept well away and tucked away in their rooms.

Great to see proper competitive games and we were incredible in the first half. Agree re Dunk warming up / going down the tunnel as felt nervous for him given the position we were in and you knew we were gonna get constantly attacked for the last 15mins or so.

Great trip, shame about the policing / stewarding in the stadium as got split up from my group and ended up standing on steps but did not let that spoil a great trip.

Some public transport to the stadium would be nice in the future!

It seems a few idiots may have ruined it for many but I know how foreign police can react and take it out on the innocent fan. Looked fantastic in the England end - wish I was there!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This. I disagree with the second part of your post, I don't even think it's close. (He's still posting look-at-me-bollocks on Sheebo's other England thread).

I’ll always be pro England and fight the case on here - most posters know my stance :lol: I just don’t get the negativity and inability to praise where it’s due like the WC & last night. If someone starts a thread on X-factor or politics, I don’t open it as it’s not relevant to me. Yet it seems if someone starts a thread on our country’s football team on this football forum, it’s fair game to come on and comment despite not having watched the match. I just don’t get it and never will.

Yes I may annoy/bore some people but I can take that - it’s my passion to be pro England on here :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I’ll always be pro England and fight the case on here - most posters know my stance :lol: I just don’t get the negativity and inability to praise where it’s due like the WC & last night. If someone starts a thread on X-factor or politics, I don’t open it as it’s not relevant to me. Yet it seems if someone starts a thread on our country’s football team on this football forum, it’s fair game to come on and comment despite not having watched the match. I just don’t get it and never will.

Yes I may annoy/bore some people but I can take that - it’s my passion to be pro England on here :thumbsup:

Oh I'm with you mate and keep up the good work. I've said before it is slightly sad to see people falling over themselves to post on England threads to say that they don't care about the national team. However that's fair enough, there's loads of things I don't care about either (although I don't go on the relevant threads and say it). The sneering "Look at me, I don't give a shit!" negativity does get a bit wearing though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very good 1st half by England but once Pickford dropped the ball for an unnecessary corner and Spain scored it was just a matter of time before they scored a 2nd just good that it came so late.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here