Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Why the need for a new sofa before 25.12?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Mostly it's so that people can crack 'sofa-so good' jokes; the value of these types of jokes cannot be under-estimated especially
leading up to xmas.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
DFS claim their sofas are hand made, yeah sure they are, by six fingered webbed hands with little coordination. I'm an upholsterer and die inside whenever someone asks me if I can repair their DFS or similar sofa can be made good again. As soon as foam is used as the main means of providing comfort you're stuffed (ahem, ahem)

You're better off buying an old sofa & having it reupholstered traditionally and it will last a lot longer & if you ever feel the need to change cos you're fed up looking at it just get it recovered.
Maybe I'm over simplifying but you'll get my drift if you're a believer of they don't make 'em like they used to, they don't because it's uneconomical for businesses but as the consumer it's a better option if you have the time & can be bothered.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
DFS claim their sofas are hand made, yeah sure they are, by six fingered webbed hands with little coordination. I'm an upholsterer and die inside whenever someone asks me if I can repair their DFS or similar sofa can be made good again. As soon as foam is used as the main means of providing comfort you're stuffed (ahem, ahem)

You're better off buying an old sofa & having it reupholstered traditionally and it will last a lot longer & if you ever feel the need to change cos you're fed up looking at it just get it recovered.
Maybe I'm over simplifying but you'll get my drift if you're a believer of they don't make 'em like they used to, they don't because it's uneconomical for businesses but as the consumer it's a better option if you have the time & can be bothered.

I remember once having to get rid of our old sofa up the tip, it was far too big to fit in my car so I set about dismantling it and breaking it up. Once I had got the cloth cover off it soon became apparent that it was mostly made up af wood of a similar finish to wooden pallets that had been nailgunned together by giant metal staples.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Because people are coming round and everyone knows that the nicer stuff you have, the better person you are.

Frighteningly accurate in many cases... Good call.

I used to have a fairly large business selling very high end AV products and the amount of people having friends and family round over Christmas who MUST have it all installed and working before then was huge.

It was all about impressing guests. So, I assume the 'new sofa' thing is the same.

Personally, I used to find massive amounts of free alcohol used to make for a gathering to remember (or partially forget) which used to result in "best time, like... ever" comments....

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'd rather have one arrive AFTER Xmas - let the guests drop food and red wine over the old one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here