Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bonfires

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lewes always is but the societies are most Saturday nights from Sept, Oct , Nov.
One of the bonuses of living in Sussex.

If you like bonfires and fireworks and people dressing up carrying torches etc. that is.

Lewes is a bit Wickermanish...without Britt Eckland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Try asking them nicely not to have a bonfire. If they persist direct your hose on to it. Works for me.

I would but the fires are too far away......they use a bit of the nature reserve just past their boundary.......to be fair it’s been happening less since she ditched her last husband who was obviously some kind of pyromaniac (an Aussie), and then the daughter of our other neighbours went round and gave her a load of verbal one afternoon too (and she’s one scary MF).

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I can't believe that two local residents in Hove, who live a few doors away from me and are both doctors, have just lit a bloody bonfire in their garden. The stench can only be described as appalling. It beggars belief that anyone would do this at a time when people who have the virus and/or are self isolating, and often have difficulties breathing, are recommended to have their windows open for fresh air. The selfishness of some folk never ceases to amaze me but I would have expected better of two health professionals, especially at the moment. Rant over.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't believe that two local residents in Hove, who live a few doors away from me and are both doctors, have just lit a bloody bonfire in their garden, and the stench is appalling. It beggars belief at a time when people who have the virus and/or are self isolating, and often have difficulties breathing, are recommended to have their windows open for fresh air. The selfishness of some people never ceases to amaze me but I would have expected better of a health professional, especially at this time. Rant over.
Shame the council stopped collecting it then. Cause and effect, eh?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Shame the council stopped collecting it then. Cause and effect, eh?

Err...they do collect it, albeit for a small annual fee.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
My Dad always said if you must have a bonfire, wait for a drizzly day when no one’s out or have washing out. Respect neighbours.

Your dad sounds like considerate bloke.:clap2:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Err...they do collect it, albeit for a small annual fee.

OK, fair enough - but in a lot of places they've just stopped, whether paid for or not (there is another thread about it). There will be a lot of bonfires up and down the country soon, as soon as the stuff has dried out a bit. And councils will rant and rave, wonder why it's happened, and send out threatening letters.

Cause and effect ........................ :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I can't believe that two local residents in Hove, who live a few doors away from me and are both doctors, have just lit a bloody bonfire in their garden. The stench can only be described as appalling. It beggars belief that anyone would do this at a time when people who have the virus and/or are self isolating, and often have difficulties breathing, are recommended to have their windows open for fresh air. The selfishness of some folk never ceases to amaze me but I would have expected better of two health professionals, especially at the moment. Rant over.

You need to get out more.

Oh...........hang on.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
OK, fair enough - but in a lot of places they've just stopped, whether paid for or not (there is another thread about it). There will be a lot of bonfires up and down the country soon, as soon as the stuff has dried out a bit. And councils will rant and rave, wonder why it's happened, and send out threatening letters.

Cause and effect ........................ :shrug:

I'm not averse to the odd bonfire but now? And in the middle of a bloody pandemic when many people are having breathing difficulties? Utterly selfish behaviour.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not averse to the odd bonfire but now? And in the middle of a bloody pandemic when many people are having breathing difficulties? Utterly selfish behaviour.
Bonfires are usually lit when necessary (plus on and around Bonfire Night). Windows can be closed - being in the midst of a cloud of smoke will affect breathing; but a distant whiff of a bonfire? No - just close the windows! Coronavirus isn't spread by burning garden waste!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here