Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your biggest disappointments as as Albion fan?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most of the games with Hypia in charge. Recall saying to Jnr 'If this continues, I'm not renewing our seats for next season'

The Garcia (I know others love his reign ) and Hyppia period, I thought was tedious in the main. I could be wrong but it seemed to me that we were not prolific home scorers and that there was a very high proportion of home losses/draws.

Borne out by s/t numbers falling by thousands over a two year period.

In fairness to them the club went through a period of not properly replacing our many quality players. A policy reversed when CH took charge.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's difficult this - because what seemed so important at the time, seems less so now.

The Boro game and Palace play-off game were enormously disappointing, but for me were made up by, and more, the promotion season we eventually had. Yes, it would have been exciting to have pipped Boro at the end, or to have got to the play-off final, but the sustained joy and knowledge that we were going up for months before we did was far better I think.

Conversely, Smith's miss was, to me at the time, only fleetingly disappointing - as I was younger and more positive, and looked forward to the replay and more finals in the future. But it's grown with hindsight, and the realisation that we may never be in a cup final in my lifetime again - and even if we are, it's not the same now.

Gerry Ryan having his leg broken was probably one of my saddest moments as an Albion fan. Other than the whole Goldstone saga.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Floodlights failing at Norwich
Ifejiagwa being refused a work permit
Paul Rogers turning down an interview
Failing to get enough water off the pitch at Withdean with a broom
None of the clique talking to me after I turned 18
Peter Smith 1998 version
Iron-on shirt sponsors
Chips and curry sauce RIP AMF

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Us not signing Calleri, after we DEDICATED 418 pages to his transfer.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Final Replay. Defeat would have been acceptable, 4-0 wasn't, I was 17, end of my world.

I just knew that we'd get stuffed in the replay, which helped make it not the disappointment it might and probably should have been. We gave everything in the first match and might have won it. That chance was never likely a second time. Wouldn't mind playing them in the Cup Final now, though!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Notts County I really thought we were going back to Division 1 we just did not turn up on the day only bright side was Wilkins goal

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
There was something about that night against Wednesday which meant that I couldn't quite get over that defeat for the whole summer.

The fact we missed out on last day with Boro, the 4 injuries in the first leg, the atmosphere before kick off and the genuine 100% belief that we were going to do it after Dunk's goal and the complete ineptitude of ref to miss the push before half time.
Then those shots of Bruno inconsolable after full time and knowing it was Calde's/Greer's last match in the stripes.

All in all a ****ing shit night.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Neither Michael Owen or Kanchelskis ever singing despite numerous times being spotted at the Grand, and, being reported as, ‘as good as done ‘ on here.

Sometimes I think someone is pulling my leg.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Yes of course the semi final playoff and the 0-5 are up there but those aside?

I have three that really pissed me off/ disappointed me that I can think of off the top of my head

The Cup Final replay loss
The sacking of Chris Cattlin
GM to Palace

Yours?

Agree about Cattlin, and even more so the sacking of Pat Saward who had worked so hard for the club. Plus missing out on the Championship last year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here