Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your biggest disappointments as as Albion fan?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Plenty. All things considered though, it’s turned out rather fine.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The replay as a 9 year old and selling the star players soon after due to relegation. Not being back in 84 as I sang.

As an adult being told by the superfans you are a bad fan because you leave early or don't rate Barnes as a club legend. It was nice when all the fans seemed to be on the same side back in the dark days. Maybe we weren't but it wasn't as obvious before the internet.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
the greatest disappointment was the loss of Barry Rees whose best days in an Albion shirt should have been to come.[/QUOTE]

This was heartbreaking. At the time I wondered how we had got hold of such a good player. And then he was gone.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not been mentioned yet- 1986 quarter final loss at home to Southampton 0-2. Also not sure if it was the same season, but a win on the last day which happened and other teams losing would have meant promotion to the top flight. Would have been in the playoffs in recent years in the same scenario.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
23 January 1982 - 3-0 loss at home to Oxford United in the FA Cup. At the time a lot of Division 1 sides had already gone out of the competition and a home game against a lower league team should have made progression towards a good cup run straight forward

29 October 1996 - 3-0 loss at Rochdale. Felt like the longest drive home ever, which probably had everything to do with the result and (non) performance

9 December 1996 - FA punish the Albion with a 2 point deduction , leaving us 11 points adrift at the foot of the table. Rather than supporting the fans in the need for a regime change the FA basically took action to try and destroy the club

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
As mentioned by many my biggest disappointment is definitely the Smith miss in the cup final. This was also back in the days of the European Cup Winners Cup and I think Man Utd drew Barcelona the following season - could have been us !

Another ‘hindsight’ disappointment is the Albion rejecting Ian Wright following trials with us - what a striker we let through our fingers (I only reflect on how good he was for Arsenal and blocked out him ever playing for the scum !)

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Gordon Smith’s miss in the FA Cup Final.

The Chewit kit ever being a thing.

Notts County play off final.

Losing the Goldstone.

Sharing with Gillingham.

5-0 loss v Palace away.

Selling Muzza to Palace.

Our first match of this season at Watford.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That we got stuffed in the replay with a then record loss in a final.

And the 1991 play-off final defeat to Notts County.

And being owned by Archer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My biggest disappointment as an Albion fan was undoubtably my failure to kiss Mary D who lived around the corner from us and who we spent most days with during the summers of 74 and 75.
Obviously anyone who remembers the summer of 76 would agree it was far to hot to go out snogging in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gerry Ryan having his leg broken was probably one of my saddest moments as an Albion fan.

It was indeed sad as our supply of away complimentary tickets dried up. The very big upside was we had many memorable nights, xmas and New Years Eves at the Witch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Stains Spuds draw
The cup final draw
Notts County

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Selling John Byrne to Sunderland. Summed up the club's lack of ambition at the time.

I'll see your selling John Byrne to Sunderland and raise you a selling Super Paul McCarthy to .......... Wycombe.

With all disrespect to Wycombe I would have been significantly less disappointed if we had sold him to any number of other clubs, but Wycombe? That was the moment I stopped living in denial and realised we were screwed.

My favourite player at the time, certainly our best.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
How my Coca Cola experience ended.
The first bit was incredible. The end bit was combined relief and disappointment.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Oh, and selling Kurt Nogan. I knew we’d be doomed the following season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here