Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Arundel Bypass - Another delay

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
On a serious note, Mustafa is right.
The A27 apart from the duelled bit through Brighton is probably now one of the worse roads in the country, and it will not be a road fit for the 21st century for many years, if ever.
It is in dire need of improving, so dire that we should have just got the bulldozers out and ploughed an 8 lane motorway with tunnels, bridges and whatever else was needed from Dover to Plymouth.
And beside it should have been a high speed railway.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It will happen, but it'll take years. Even then, it's just one fix on a shockingly abysmal A27 Sussex. It's utterly embarrassing that England's major coastal road is how it is.

I wish we had the ambition and innovation of the likes of Japan, who will have as much red tape as we do, if not more so... or possibly even better, the Victorians who constructed great bridges, sewers, the underground, etc.

Why not build a coastal underground rail network? Or state of the art flyover? Some kind of radical solution that will fix the entire problem from start to finish. Why do we rely on existing infrastructure designed for another time... congested major roads with 40mph speed limits, level crossings with ten minute waiting times, etc.

Of course it's all about money, it always is... but these problems are only going to get worse, until ultimately we become gridlocked like second world cities.

Sadly this is how this country operates in all Government and local authority departments, whoever is in power. Just think muddled thinking over Churchill Square/Black Rock Conference Centre.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suggested on the Ikea planning site thread a fly over from the dual carriageway near Shoreham Airport to the one by the Joyful Wippett and similarly Lyons Farm to just past Swandean but all let loose as ' people dont want to look out of their houses at concrete pillars' that is the problem with this country progression is hindered by Greens and Nimbys.

I will never see it happen and I have concerns as to whether my grandchildren will.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suggested on the Ikea planning site thread a fly over from the dual carriageway near Shoreham Airport to the one by the Joyful Wippett and similarly Lyons Farm to just past Swandean but all let loose as ' people dont want to look out of their houses at concrete pillars' that is the problem with this country progression is hindered by Greens and Nimbys.

I will never see it happen and I have concerns as to whether my grandchildren will.

Your scheme was unambitious, barely touching the problems.

The authorities should announce a three lanes each way trunk road, entirely on high stilts, in dead straight lines as follows:
a) Truleigh Hill (NW Shoreham) to Swandean (NW Worthing); and
b) Crossbush (SE Arundel) to Avisford Park (a few miles west of Arundel).

In this country we're too precious about protecting ancient woodland, endangered fauna & flora, the right to light from home owners, and rolling vistas. They don't seem to have problems with troublesome wildlife in China and Russia when they want new infrastructure.

Funding - by printing money using the same form as Quantitative Easing. The cost would be in the tens of billions, but we would finally get the county moving

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
If my memory serves me correct, when my parents still lived in Storrington, the then equivalent of the Highways agency were going to build a motorway along the foot of the Downs from Southampton through Brighton and beyond. As the planners set about their surveys they came across problem after problem. Goodwood, Cowdrey, Parham, Petworth. Rumour had it then they abandoned the project. This had to be in the mid '60's.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your scheme was unambitious, barely touching the problems.

The authorities should announce a three lanes each way trunk road, entirely on high stilts, in dead straight lines as follows:
a) Truleigh Hill (NW Shoreham) to Swandean (NW Worthing); and
b) Crossbush (SE Arundel) to Avisford Park (a few miles west of Arundel).

In this country we're too precious about protecting ancient woodland, endangered fauna & flora, the right to light from home owners, and rolling vistas. They don't seem to have problems with troublesome wildlife in China and Russia when they want new infrastructure.

Funding - by printing money using the same form as Quantitative Easing. The cost would be in the tens of billions, but we would finally get the county moving

Now you're being unambitious.
Everyone is coming at this from the wrong direction.

The flyover could easily be held up by perpetual hot air balloons.

Piece of piss.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It will happen, but it'll take years. Even then, it's just one fix on a shockingly abysmal A27 Sussex. It's utterly embarrassing that England's major coastal road is how it is.

I wish we had the ambition and innovation of the likes of Japan, who will have as much red tape as we do, if not more so... or possibly even better, the Victorians who constructed great bridges, sewers, the underground, etc.

Why not build a coastal underground rail network? Or state of the art flyover? Some kind of radical solution that will fix the entire problem from start to finish. Why do we rely on existing infrastructure designed for another time... congested major roads with 40mph speed limits, level crossings with ten minute waiting times, etc.

Of course it's all about money, it always is... but these problems are only going to get worse, until ultimately we become gridlocked like second world cities.
Just like Handscross. That took years to finally get the go ahead but bloody hell was it worth it. Probably my favorite road improvement. Amazing stuff.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If my memory serves me correct, when my parents still lived in Storrington, the then equivalent of the Highways agency were going to build a motorway along the foot of the Downs from Southampton through Brighton and beyond. As the planners set about their surveys they came across problem after problem. Goodwood, Cowdrey, Parham, Petworth. Rumour had it then they abandoned the project. This had to be in the mid '60's.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

In the 70's there were large signs by new bypasses 'A27 Folkstone to Honiton Trunk Road'.

In the 80's or 90's many large homes on the A27 in posh bits of Worthing were compulsorily bought up, and boarded up. Quietly sold to the public years later - that part seemed to get no publicity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the 70's there were large signs by new bypasses 'A27 Folkstone to Honiton Trunk Road'.

In the 80's or 90's many large homes on the A27 in posh bits of Worthing were compulsorily bought up, and boarded up. Quietly sold to the public years later - that part seemed to get no publicity.

When they went back on the market one of my nephews bought one for peanuts a lot less than he would have paid for 1 in The Quadrant Maybridge I dont know who valued them probably a monkey or somebody with relatives who wanted to buy one.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
[/B]

When they went back on the market one of my nephews bought one for peanuts a lot less than he would have paid for 1 in The Quadrant Maybridge I dont know who valued them probably a monkey or somebody with relatives who wanted to buy one.

Bit unfair on the monkey

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
South East is the a Lepper where transports concerned shit to the west until past Chichester and the A259 is like a carpark. One rail line to the capital and then you have to change to get to the super fast trains up north to important places that are far more worthy than us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Glad I can disagree and agree with you on NSC in the space of minutes :lolol::thumbsup:

I think this every time I drive from Faversham to Brighton. Two hours cross country (lovely if you have 2 hours to spare), or an hour and 15 on motorways that head first west then south. Ludicrous.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We SHOULD be protective over our wildlife... but that's not say that we can't work with & around it.

I think BG is right in that the biggest issue are the NIMBY's. An overpass/flyover is considerably less harmful to wildlife than a road is... yet almost anyone would object to living next to one, if for no other reason other than it will bring down the value of their property.

Nimbys and the devious lawyers playing the system on their behalf. Probably subsidised by the Europan Union. And Christians Against Poverty. I'm only being half ironic here :rant:

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd wager a full 8 pence that if the then, much needed, Folkstone to Honiton trunk road had been built, there'd still be threads on here, now, saying how we desperately need another bigger and better road.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
We SHOULD be protective over our wildlife... but that's not say that we can't work with & around it.

I think BG is right in that the biggest issue are the NIMBY's. An overpass/flyover is considerably less harmful to wildlife than a road is... yet almost anyone would object to living next to one, if for no other reason other than it will bring down the value of their property.

Great we have a starting point for the route, let the first supporting tower be 5' from your front door and the decking span 6' above your roof line, sure you won't mind?

Of course you would, as would I and everyone else. it's the big dilemma. In truth we would all become NIMBY's if affected us that badly.

The only way to avoid it would be to build a complete new infrastructure that's about 1/2 mile from all homes etc, and that is most likely to be an impossibility anywhere in the over crowded south east.

The person who can ever come up with the solution would be a genius and has probably not been born yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here