Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians Against Poverty

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
God I do sound like a real cynic, but the only person who is going to have to “live” with this is the OP. However you dress it up an offer of £1 a month for 105 years is a complete pisstake, even if they are chancing it as an opening offer. It’s pathetic, much better to step away and have nothing to do with it imo. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound :nono:

Ah we agree

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Useless unless the debtor has a job that will fund paying the money back in decent increments in which case that could be the way to go. If as I cynically believe he might be, he’s a chancer who knows the system it’s a complete waste of time. I am not quite clear whether he used the money from Just Giving to pay 2/3 rds of the bill and was left short, if so maybe he does deserve some sympathy. If he pocketed the JG money then he’s a scumbag and I suggest the OP has no chance of getting his money.

You may have hit the nail on the head ..judging by the info supplied from LR

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes, that is possible. But if the OP knows about it, I would think that they do to as it should have shown up as income for the debtor.

It's also possible the OP saw it on Facebook, or a friend drew his attention to it. He didn't say the debtor told the debt councillors about the money.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Christians Against Poverty are a wonderful organisation who genuinely want to help people. I, and many others I know, have been on their CAP money courses and I would strongly recommend anyone who struggles with budgeting/has no grip on their finances to sign up to one of these. They empower people to have budgeting systems in place to prevent debt from ever being a reality in people's lives.

For those who have sunk into debt, they seek to help lift people out of the cycle. Why? Because they believe Jesus not only loved people by giving them salvation and forgiveness from their sins but also loved them by helping them in their physical/material issues, regardless over whether they were self-inflicted or not. I imagine in this case, CAP have tried to come up with a workable plan for their "client" which actually sees them repay the debt they owe, rather than set repayments too high and the client be unable to pay them.

My mum racked up thousands of pounds of debt on store credit cards. Her own fault, nobody else's. However, when she went through debt management firms they took a savage cut of the money she paid per month for them to "deal" with the creditors. At least CAP are genuinely trying to help people without taking a cut themselves. I can understand why the OP, as someone who is owed the money, sees it as a smack in the face. But CAP's purpose is to be there for the debtors and advocate on their behalf.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One side of the story really though and I dont know either person.......maybe if you have been on the other side of the debt you might see things differently..anyway I think I'll stop at that before it comes personal, perhaps we needs a poll

I have been told off by somone I respect via PM so I'll wind my neck back in till all is made clearer. Like many on here I am 'facebook friends' with the OP, and know what he does for a job, and taking the identity of the debt managmnt company aside, it seems a poor show to me to 'buy' a funeral then pass on the debt to a third party like this. I wouldn't have thought it was even legal. Anyway, I am doubtless shortly to be corrected.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have been told off by somone I respect via PM so I'll wind my neck back in till all is made clearer. Like many on here I am 'facebook friends' with the OP, and know what he does for a job, and taking the identity of the debt managmnt company aside, it seems a poor show to me to 'buy' a funeral then pass on the debt to a third party like this. I wouldn't have thought it was even legal. Anyway, I am doubtless shortly to be corrected.

You haven't been told off you daft apeth.
The debt hasn't been bought either. That's not how debt counselling works. The person still owns the debt but the counselling service negotiates a payment to start clearing the debt. There are priority debts like rent/mortgage, council tax etc.
The OP has the option to refuse the negotiation & go to court. The risk is that the debtor will declare bankruptcy & the OP get nothing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Lol...you have.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
The debt hasn't been bought either. That's not how debt counselling works. The person still owns the debt but the counselling service negotiates a payment to start clearing the debt. There are priority debts like rent/mortgage, council tax etc.
The OP has the option to refuse the negotiation & go to court. The risk is that the debtor will declare bankruptcy & the OP get nothing.

Or he/she have got assets which they'd lose if made bankrupt. I'll bet he/she didn't mention the JG donation before pleading poverty to CAP! And, in the unlikely event that they did, the CAP offer really is a pisstake and should be filed under 'ignore'!

Harty, I'll PM you tomorrow to see if I can help.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sorry - I must have the complete wrong end of this stick. I was under the impression the debt had been bought by a third party. If it hasn't then I guess that Harty can just ignore the third party and pursue the first party through the court.

Apologies for any implied criticism of Christian aid charities. I was under the impression that a genuine one was attempting to offer Harty a quid a week.

And I have been stone cold sober for days. :mad::shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Or he/she have got assets which they'd lose if made bankrupt. I'll bet he/she didn't mention the JG donation before pleading poverty to CAP! And, in the unlikely event that they did, the CAP offer really is a pisstake and should be filed under 'ignore'!

Harty, I'll PM you tomorrow to see if I can help.

I agree, and think the debtor hasn't been honest with the debt councillor. I hope you can help Harty.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry - I must have the complete wrong end of this stick. I was under the impression the debt had been bought by a third party. If it hasn't then I guess that Harty can just ignore the third party and pursue the first party through the court.

Apologies for any implied criticism of Christian aid charities. I was under the impression that a genuine one was attempting to offer Harty a quid a week.

You were correct they are...or was that a month...and its not unheard of from any debt management company including CAB....I think whats clouding posts is that like you they know the OP and also have little or no experience of dealing with them (ie being in the position of owing stacks) so naturally are deriding the offer. Then in this situation you have the OP advising us that basically the guy who owes him money is a crook having nicked money intended for a funeral bill...I doubt very much that CAP know...and that surely has to be what the OP will tell them when he writes back politely declining the offer..asking where the money has gone and threatening legal action?

You are correct in saying CAP have not bought the debt they along with people like CAB are there to help people out of hard times..doesnt make them perfect in their operations like any organisation and then you will have someone playing the system.
Dont be so hard on yourself too.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
Aug 7, 2003
2D668956-3BBF-40D8-9F44-44269AA1FB3D.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You were correct they are...or was that a month...and its not unheard of from any debt management company including CAB....I think whats clouding posts is that like you they know the OP and also have little or no experience of dealing with them (ie being in the position of owing stacks) so naturally are deriding the offer. Then in this situation you have the OP advising us that basically the guy who owes him money is a crook having nicked money intended for a funeral bill...I doubt very much that CAP know...and that surely has to be what the OP will tell them when he writes back politely declining the offer..asking where the money goes and threatening legal action?

You are correct in saying CAP have not bought the debt they along with people like CAB are there to help people out of hard times..doesnt make them perfect in their operations like any organisation and then you will have someone playing the system.
Dont be so hard on yourself too.

Excellent. Thanks.

Right, shall we now nip over and resolve the Brexit thread???

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
God I do sound like a real cynic, but the only person who is going to have to “live” with this is the OP. However you dress it up an offer of £1 a month for 105 years is a complete pisstake, even if they are chancing it as an opening offer. It’s pathetic, much better to step away and have nothing to do with it imo. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound :nono:

That doesn't sound cynical at all. I was just trying to point out that the offer probably just reflects the deep poo that they are in. It's an emotive word, and probably would protect the person in debt while being in danger of in turn screwing the debtors........

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The legal costs of pursuing the money from a skint person will surely out-weigh the money involved?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Anyone else had experience of them?

A client owes my company £1264.00 (Despite raising over £2,200 on a Just Giving page of FB*), after a period of time when I'd been in correspondence with him I got a letter from Christians Against Poverty, who, at his request, have taken over his debt management and offered us a pound a month, which will take over 105 years to clear the balance, and that's just straight repayment, no interest.

I don't wish to offend anyone regarding their religious beliefs, but clearly CAP have either lost all grip on reality or have never been in business themselves?

* Went to the Police and despite him technically gaining money by deception, the JG page was specifically for funeral costs, according to Sussex Police its now a civil matter, which we would have to pursue privately.

CAP had £11million income last year, tell CAP you will accept them paying you the debt in full and they then recover the money from their client at £1 a month. Im sure they will consider that repayment schedule acceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here