Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians Against Poverty

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Anyone else had experience of them?

A client owes my company £1264.00 (Despite raising over £2,200 on a Just Giving page of FB*), after a period of time when I'd been in correspondence with him I got a letter from Christians Against Poverty, who, at his request, have taken over his debt management and offered us a pound a month, which will take over 105 years to clear the balance, and that's just straight repayment, no interest.

I don't wish to offend anyone regarding their religious beliefs, but clearly CAP have either lost all grip on reality or have never been in business themselves?

* Went to the Police and despite him technically gaining money by deception, the JG page was specifically for funeral costs, according to Sussex Police its now a civil matter, which we would have to pursue privately.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

A client owes my company £1264.00 (Despite raising over £2,200 on a Just Giving page of FB*), after a period of time when I'd been in correspondence with him I got a letter from Christians Against Poverty, who, at his request, have taken over his debt management and offered us a pound a month, which will take over 105 years to clear the balance, and that's just straight repayment, no interest.

I don't wish to offend anyone regarding their religious beliefs, but clearly CAP have either lost all grip on reality or have never been in business themselves?

* Went to the Police and despite him technically gaining money by deception, the JG page was specifically for funeral costs, according to Sussex Police its now a civil matter, which we would have to pursue privately.

Just read this on their Wiki Page:
In October 2018, CAP was featured in the BBC Two documentary 'The Debt Saviours', questioning whether the charity's true motivation is debt relief or merely more so a means to recruit people over to Jesus / Christianity

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Hiding behind Jesus to avoid paying their dues. Ridiculous.

Good luck with the case, it's a totally unreasonable offer on their behalf. Quite shameless, really.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sell the debt to “another” faith, sit back and watch the sparks fly!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Tell them Jesus once said "there are no pockets in shrouds" which is what you will be wearing when your company finally gets paid, ridiculous offer.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
In October 2018, CAP was featured in the BBC Two documentary 'The Debt Saviours', questioning whether the charity's true motivation is debt relief or merely more so a means to recruit people over to Jesus / Christianity

I would suggest that it's more CAP being taken advantage of.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
I don't have enormous experience of Christians Against Poverty. As someone involved in the Churches around economic/social matters they would not be my first port of call around such matters, although I think they are a perfectly respectable operator. I believe they do work on the basis of praying with or for their clients, which I personally don't like, as it smacks of taking advantage of people when they are down - vulnerable people.

BUT I would not want them to be confused with Church Action on Poverty - who were CAP long, long before anyone had ever heard of Christians Against Poverty. Church Action on Poverty have nothing to do with Debt Advice, but is a highly respected and very active research and campaigning organisation around poverty issues who are not bothered as to whether the victims of our economy are Christian, atheist, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhists, Jedi or whatever

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Went to the Police and despite him technically gaining money by deception, the JG page was specifically for funeral costs, according to Sussex Police its now a civil matter, which we would have to pursue privately.

And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Christians against Poverty are a great organisation who have helped friends of mine manage their finances and clear their debts. That is a woeful offer!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
They look to be managing his debt on his behalf, as opposed to having bought it. Therefore, whilst its very black and white to most of us, as in any debt negotiation, they are advising him to start low, but would hope they get real soon enough. Am guessing you will have to go legal early though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Never surprised how low some people stoop, there are some right shitheads out there. I imagine, being in business, you are almost certainly going to have to write this debt off (unless you are willing to spend time and money chasing a bad debt) bar £1 a month, which is an insult in itself from CAP.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011

Have CAP provided you with the client's income and expenditure? Isn't that something that is generally done by the 3rd party and then shown to all creditors when entering into a DMP? I'd suggest most people would be able to offer more than £1 if 'I&E' was done correctly and, furthermore, you'd be well within your rights to question it as a direct creditor. I haven't had any direct contact with CAP so can't really comment on them, but StepChange are by far and away the best debt management agency I've dealt with in regards to DMP's and generally taking over a client's finances.

Last edited:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I love the names some of these organisations give themselves - Christians Against Poverty, Women Against Rape, etc etc. I mean surely you won’t find opposing groups which are ‘For’ such things?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sell the debt to “another” faith, sit back and watch the sparks fly!

A rather dangerous acquaintance of mine who lives in Hungary and has business all across Europe threatened to sell an unpaid debt to 'the russian mafia'. He received his money pretty quickly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't have enormous experience of Christians Against Poverty. As someone involved in the Churches around economic/social matters they would not be my first port of call around such matters, although I think they are a perfectly respectable operator. I believe they do work on the basis of praying with or for their clients, which I personally don't like, as it smacks of taking advantage of people when they are down - vulnerable people.

BUT I would not want them to be confused with Church Action on Poverty - who were CAP long, long before anyone had ever heard of Christians Against Poverty. Church Action on Poverty have nothing to do with Debt Advice, but is a highly respected and very active research and campaigning organisation around poverty issues who are not bothered as to whether the victims of our economy are Christian, atheist, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhists, Jedi or whatever

Its not a condition of their help though...if the person isn't happy about it then no prayer...personally I wouldn't object.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Never surprised how low some people stoop, there are some right shitheads out there. I imagine, being in business, you are almost certainly going to have to write this debt off (unless you are willing to spend time and money chasing a bad debt) bar £1 a month, which is an insult in itself from CAP.

If thats all they can afford then its not stooping low is it....have you actually any experience of this organisation?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Unfortunately for you, LR, it is not classed as a priority debt, like rent, council tax or a mortgage.
The debt councillors look at the income, and break it down so the person is still able to buy food, and their outgoings, plus a contribution to each debt.

Of course £1 a month is extremely small, but as the debts decrease, the non-priority debts can then be raised. Maybe try for £5 a month? At least you are getting something, and it isn't a figure set in stone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Did you watch the program or listen to people who gave an alternative view to the program maker? Not sure if Wiki gives that....just might give a more balanced view than the headline

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here