Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How many Sussex-born players have played for England?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've had a root around, and I believe the answer to be... 12.

Unless anyone can unearth any more...?

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 15.48.08.png

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Are we one of the worst producers of England players in the country? Would like to see a league table style comparison of the counties

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So Tambling and Barry the only ones since the war. Plus only Cook and Coleman since the Great War. Along with only 24 caps in total apart from Barry's. Astonishing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's a slightly variable beast, Max.

Many players were born before, for example, West Midlands existed, and may well count themselves as being from Warwickshire or Staffordshire.

Yeah, many from Manchester or Merseyside would count themselves as Lancastrians too. County boundaries have slipped too and players from one county then, may not be the same county now.

It's a table from Sky Sports who, I think did their best with such such variables.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
So Tambling and Barry the only ones since the war. Plus only Cook and Coleman since the Great War. Along with only 24 caps in total apart from Barry's. Astonishing.

Very much so. Hopefully the academy we have will improve these stats.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's a slightly variable beast, Max.

Many players were born before, for example, West Midlands existed, and may well count themselves as being from Warwickshire or Staffordshire.

Yeah, many from Manchester or Merseyside would count themselves as Lancastrians too. County boundaries have slipped too and players from one county then, may not be the same county now.
Yes, similar thoughts occurred to me - there are inevitably some discrepancies due to boundary and other admin. changes over the years. Other odd things too - we'd be higher up the table if they hadn't listed East and West Sussex separately - Yorkshire suffered the same way, with the three ridings being counted separately. On the other hand, the counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland have been wiped out altogether and lumped together as Cumbria, though this change didn't happen until the 70s (I think it was the 70s anyway - they were separate counties for a long time before that!)

Still, it's all interesting stuff - nice thread. Thanks to the OP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here