Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] **Royal Wedding Official Thread**

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having read stuff about it in the paper this morning, and previously not realising that it was in fact today, my first thought was that I was quite happy that it had passed me by, and secondly that it was fairly arrogant on the part of the people involved to expect people to be that interested.

I would class myself as a Republican, but at least Harry is in the public eye, a visible force for good and a popular figure...….. even with me. Eugenie is far less important and would not, I would think, capture the public imagination. I am not surprised the BBC did not want to cover it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
w

I was replying to your quote saying instead of having a royal family we should elect someone with the same set of limited powers (so in essence, no powers)

I wonder whats the point of doing that - or if you saying that they will have more powers than the current queen, then it will definitely become a politicised role

The Queen has very real power. She can dissolve parliament and she can refuse to give her assent to bills passed (as Queen Anne did). She obviously doesn't use this power as it would be deemed 'unconstitutional', and thus we don't have the checks and balances that proper democracies have. Even the US President has to listen to Congress every now and then.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
With a new Royal baby on the way courtesy of Meghan and Harry, we're all eagerly awaiting Crodo's next thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here