Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glenn Murray on his route to the top

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good post.

Gus refused GM a pay rise fron £3,250 to £6,000 pw (but he later blamed the club).

Our 2011/12 payroll contained players on are far greater money than that such as CMS, Buckley, Vicente.

With many others such as Barnes on far lower money than the figures you mention.

Only two of the players in your post still doing the business in the Premier League. Such a shame that nobody in the club was smart enough to keep that partnership together. Same old Albion, sell the best strikers too cheap too soon, and hang on to the duffers WAY too long.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's been brilliant... definitely a Brighton legend, without doubt.

It's just such a shame he's also a bit of a legend at Palace too. That stain on his history means he can never be held in the same regard as Bobby or Wardy, in my view.

Shirley though that has to be offset by our northern friends spending MILLIONS, on Bentacky, while GM all but singlehandedly keeps us in the Premier League.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
For me it makes him even more of a hero. It was shit to lose him to those twats but we've had the last laugh as Glenn bangs in the goals for us and they have £30m, £125k a week Barn Door Benteke.

They HATE this fact.

Legend.

The Benteke whom not only are they paying £125k a week, but who now won't actually be able to play for them until the New Year!

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shirley though that has to be offset by our northern friends spending MILLIONS, on Bentacky, while GM all but singlehandedly keeps us in the Premier League.

Benteke £32m
Sorloth £9m (to £16.5m)
Wickham £9m

When they could've kept Murray for free.

Pardew and Bright need shooting.

IMG_2892.PNG

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
For me it makes him even more of a hero. It was shit to lose him to those twats but we've had the last laugh as Glenn bangs in the goals for us and they have £30m, £125k a week Barn Door Benteke.

They HATE this fact.

Legend.

This.

Makes it oh so sweeter. :D

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Benteke £32m
Sorloth £9m (to £16.5m)
Wickham £9m

When they could've kept Murray for free.

Pardew and Bright need shooting.

"How much was it we were wanting to get for Sorloth?"

"£1.6m boss"

"That's right. But who was it that was inquiring about him?"

"Some bloke called Steve Parish and his mate Mark Bright"

"Ah yes, those dozy feckers. Stick a 0 on it and see if the mugs go for it. Gotta be worth a try"

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"How much was it we were wanting to get for Sorloth?"

"£1.6m boss"

"That's right. But who was it that was inquiring about him?"

"Some bloke called Steve Parish and his mate Mark Bright"

"Ah yes, those dozy feckers. Stick a 0 on it and see if the mugs go for it. Gotta be worth a try"

In August I thought Liverpool were about to stitch them up for £20m with Ings, making it an £80m hatrick (with Sakho and Barndeke). Stains pipped them.

Funny club.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Good post.

Gus refused GM a pay rise fron £3,250 to £6,000 pw (but he later blamed the club).

Our 2011/12 payroll contained players on are far greater money than that such as CMS, Buckley, Vicente.

With many others such as Barnes on far lower money than the figures you mention.

I still stand by what I was told at Notts County by a club employee that we had offered double his wages but he wanted quadruple which ties in with your and my posts.
The manager doesn't negotiate contracts.
People will believe what they want to believe.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I still stand by what I was told at Notts County by a club employee that we had offered double his wages but he wanted quadruple which ties in with your and my posts.

Forgive my dimness, but [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] saying that Gus refused to double his wages although the club was offering that, but you saying that Murray wanted quadruple fits? How exactly? They aren't the same thing.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We seem to be in agreement in the main. I was told face to face by a club director that Muzza had been on £3,250 and wanted £6,000, which pissed Poyet off as he didn't warm to Murray one bit. Plus living in north Brighton, Murray didn't not want to commute daily to SE London for training. At a later date I was told by someone respected in these parts that those figures were right.

To benchmark 2011 Championship pay rates, Speroni, Darren Ambrose, Vicente, CMS and Buckley earnt up to £11,000 per week. Vicente's deal may have been more, but did it depend on appearances?

Although club directors/legal secretaries formerly sign contracts, at that time (pre Paul Barber), extremely confident in himself Poyet had a huge say on player ins and out, which were rubber stamped by the Board. Barber's appointment after transfer cock ups either way, with far more scrutiny of deals, got up Poyet's nose.

Perhaps the "quadruple" came from Poyet's miserly offer to see Muzza off, versus want Palace ended up paying him?

Which was great value, he got them promoted to the £100m per year PL.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We seem to be in agreement in the main. I was told face to face by a club director that Muzza had been on £3,250 and wanted £6,000, which pissed Poyet off as he didn't warm to Murray one bit. Plus living in north Brighton, Murray didn't not want to commute daily to SE London for training. At a later date I was told by someone respected in these parts that those figures were right.

To benchmark 2011 Championship pay rates, Speroni, Darren Ambrose, Vicente, CMS and Buckley earnt up to £11,000 per week. Vicente's deal may have been more, but did it depend on appearances?

Although club directors/legal secretaries formerly sign contracts, at that time (pre Paul Barber), extremely confident in himself Poyet had a huge say on player ins and out, which were rubber stamped by the Board. Barber's appointment after transfer cock ups either way, with far more scrutiny of deals, got up Poyet's nose.

Perhaps the "quadruple" came from Poyet's miserly offer to see Muzza off, versus want Palace ended up paying him?

Which was great value, he got them promoted to the £100m per year PL.

Mine was a club employee, but you trump me with a club director.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Apart from the Palace stuff, I didn’t warm to him when he came back because of the game where he sulked and walked off refusing to acknowledge the fans who were singing his name.
Watford away Wycombe away? I was there and he acted like a bit of a spoilt brat.
Bit of a legend now though

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from the Palace stuff, I didn’t warm to him when he came back because of the game where he sulked and walked off refusing to acknowledge the fans who were singing his name.
Watford away Wycombe away? I was there and he acted like a bit of a spoilt brat.

Brentford. It seems this episode will never be forgotten or forgiven by some. There were plenty on here who saw him as surly and lazy in his first spell here. I prefer shy/dour Northerner with a laconic style but I have been a big fan since he first arrived here and I was absolutely gutted when he left for Palace and delighted when he saw the light and came back. Appears to me that he loves being an Albion player these days and is a brilliant role model no longer shy in giving out bollockings to his team mates when their standards drop below his. :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he hadn't gone to Palarse they might still be in the Championship.

Intereresting observation, Zaha probably wouldn’t have re signed for them either.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I was at that match. Perhaps his outrageous behaviour at not clapping the fans at Brentford was coloured by some of the hilarious Albion fans who were singing ‘ditch the bitch’ to him earlier, in reference to his relationship problems. Bantz eh, some just don’t get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here